GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are considering buying roof rack cross rails and a cargo carrier for vacation. I went to one store and the guy said the Acadia's rails were as wide, and the length of open space underneath the rails, as he'd ever seen. He had no idea what I should buy or what would fit. ??? Can anyone here lead me in the right direction? :help: Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
wiscbadger said:
My wife and I are considering buying roof rack cross rails and a cargo carrier for vacation. I went to one store and the guy said the Acadia's rails were as wide, and the length of open space underneath the rails, as he'd ever seen. He had no idea what I should buy or what would fit. ??? Can anyone here lead me in the right direction? :help: Thanks!
Can't go wrong if you do the factory rails and carrier...

·
Registered
123 Posts
the one that looks like a clam shell should fit. the one that looks like a kayak is long and doesnt hold much. chicks sporting goods is having a sell on the clam shell ones.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have one of Thule's general purpose boxes, (the one that looks a little like the caskets in the Star Trek movies). I have used it with several other cars and its square braketed clamps fit fine over the factory cross bars. I don't have a picture of it on the Acadia but attached is one on my Audi

wiscbadger said:

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
GerryL said:
I have one of Thule's general purpose boxes, (the one that looks a little like the caskets in the Star Trek movies). I have used it with several other cars and its square braketed clamps fit fine over the factory cross bars. I don't have a picture of it on the Acadia but attached is one on my Audi

wiscbadger said:
yes, those are the ones but the shorter/wider one we found more roomie for our family when traveling...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. This is a good start. When you attach the cross rails, is that intended to be permanent or can you take them on and off? The reason I ask is that we have the sunroofs, and if the cross-rails are going to block the view even when we're not carrying anything, then we need to evaluate whether we really want the rails.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
wiscbadger said:
Thanks for the information. This is a good start. When you attach the cross rails, is that intended to be permanent or can you take them on and off? The reason I ask is that we have the sunroofs, and if the cross-rails are going to block the view even when we're not carrying anything, then we need to evaluate whether we really want the rails.
It is nt a prmanent thing.

They come off easier b/c all the tiny annoying parts can stay together.

I took my rails off.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yes, those are the ones but the shorter/wider one we found more roomie for our family when traveling...
[/quote]

I think that the best shape depends a lot on how you pack. We used to have the "clam shell" type and I found it more difficult to pack as the items had to be distributed across a longer reach over the car (as it was wider) and it was always a puzzle getting things to just the right height. With the longer, thinner one, we have four duffle type bags that perfectly fit and can be put in final place in seconds. In addition because stuff is only one item wide and one item deep, (but the length of the vehicle long) I can access anything without moving anything else. I think what shape works best is a choice the individual needs to make for themselves. I am much happier with this configuration. Less work to pack and easier to get to individual things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
wiscbadger said:
We also have sunroofs and found that the front cross bar just slightly blocks the front of the rear sunroof. I have not had anyone even notice from inside. Also if you Google luggage racks, you will find cross bars from several different manufacturers but they end up costing as much as the OEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first questions to you is - do you have a trailer hitch with your Acadia? We were originally going to get a cargo package designed for the Acadia, but decided to go with a THULE carrier which goes on the BACK of the Acadia and slips on the trailer hitch. It actually ended up being a little cheaper than the overhead cargo rack and much, much easier to access on a trip! The kind we got swung out so that the Acadia could still be opened from behind - which came in handy since we also have 4 children and a LOT of cargo! Something to consider... :thumb:

·
Registered
484 Posts
KUrox said:
My first questions to you is - do you have a trailer hitch with your Acadia? We were originally going to get a cargo package designed for the Acadia, but decided to go with a THULE carrier which goes on the BACK of the Acadia and slips on the trailer hitch. It actually ended up being a little cheaper than the overhead cargo rack and much, much easier to access on a trip! The kind we got swung out so that the Acadia could still be opened from behind - which came in handy since we also have 4 children and a LOT of cargo! Something to consider... :thumb:
Where did you get the carrier for the back? Can you post some pictures? Sounds more like what we need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our dealer ordered the GM cross rails for us and we installed them ourselves in about 20 minutes by using the instructions from another helpful thread on this forum. Last weekend we bought a Yakima SkyBox Pro 16 at REI in Nashville. http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=119

We looked at Yakima and Thule cargo boxes. The Acadia is not in either company's official fit guide yet but the factory rails are rated to hold 250# so we just decided to go see what would work. The employees were very knowledgeable and demonstrated the way the clipping hardware inside the boxes could be adjusted to fit the rails. We decided we liked the Yakima clip system a little better than the Thule's. The people at REI were VERY helpful. They carried the box outside to "try it on" before we made up our mind. They helped us slide our cross rails to the proper spread and demonstrated how to attach the box correctly and snugly. It was a very good buying experience!

It holds 16 cu. ft. and is about 81" x 36". It can open from either side. It fits well and looks great, IMO. We noticed a bit more wind noise with the box attached but nothing that was really excessive or bothersome. If you want to see a pic, I'll shoot one and try to post it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rat407 said:
KUrox said:
Where did you get the carrier for the back? Can you post some pictures? Sounds more like what we need.
I am interested in pics and/or a part number as well please.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is the one I have been eyeing for awhile now, company called Rola makes this, Cabelas sells it for $579 for the swing away model. I still need to install my hitch :thumb: When you remove the cargo holder you can still use the tray to carry other items if you wish, there is a 250 lbs capacity.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, we had a death in the family and I haven't been on this forum for about one month. The cargo carrier we had which slid onto our trailer hitch was a THULE 684 Terrapin Hitch Mount Luggage Box. We found ours on Amazon.com for about $495 - so it wasn't cheap! I think it actually was very comparable to the GMC top carrier, but much easier to access. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of ours, but I will try to get some so you can see how it looks on the back of the Acadia. [/color][/color][/color] Just go onto Amazon.com and do a search on the Thule 684.

·
Registered
249 Posts
johnway said:
This is the one I have been eyeing for awhile now, company called Rola makes this, Cabelas sells it for $579 for the swing away model. I still need to install my hitch :thumb: When you remove the cargo holder you can still use the tray to carry other items if you wish, there is a 250 lbs capacity.
It has been awhile and I wondered if anyone went ahead and purchased the Rola carrier? Any feedback? I'm looking for a swing-away carrier and this one looks top-notch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i bought the roof rack from gmaccesoriesstore.com for around 150.00 and i found on Amazon.com the Thule Atlantis 1600 for $449.10 with free shipping when you choose the Super Saver Discount i have all these item at home since yesteraday but haven't got the time to put it together :(, aunque el roof rack looks super easy ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts