GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask, your advice or assumption only, how much off of an '08 could I bargain with. There are 2 New 08's AWD SLT2 still on the lot. I know the rebate for 08 is $2500. But I wonder what else I could get off of Invoice, and I also have Supplier Pricing if that would be a better option.
Has anyone bought an '08 New after the '09's cam out? And what kind of deal could you swing?
TIA for any opinions etc...
I am in Nor. Cali

·
Registered
131 Posts
Considering they are now past 50% of the '09 model year, you should be able to get significantly below invoice for an '08. Invoice is already lower than supplier pricing, so I wouldn't even look at supplier pricing. Additionally, most people are already getting at or below invoice pricing for '09 models.

For an '08, you should be able to secure a few (or several) hundred below invoice, along with some "throw-in" services - oil changes etc.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I tried that approach when I bought mine - found an 07 in August 07 just as the 08s were rolling out. They wouldn't budge on the price. Of course, the vehicle was real hot back then and there weren't many available. But I just ordered an 08 and waited 8 weeks for it. The difference in value later on is tremendous.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
CA huh? Good luck :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yes; put the vehicle here in AZ and I almost bet my dealer will be less. I live in CA for 21 years; almost everything is more expensive there than most places. I would still bargain though

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
There's not that much wiggle room to begin with although a vehicle sitting on the lot that long is running up significant finance charges. Of course, the dealers get "holdbacks" from the manuafacturer for that which is an added profit margin when they move the vehicles quickly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
jsimms said:
Yes; put the vehicle here in AZ and I almost bet my dealer will be less. I live in CA for 21 years; almost everything is more expensive there than most places. I would still bargain though
Overall dealer inventory of Acadias in CA seems rather low as well. I've been checking for weeks, and a surprising number of dealers have zero in stock, making it a bit tougher to bargain. Although on an '08, this far into the year, you should have a much stronger position to negotiate.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I can't get over how weird it is for that dealer to still have an 08 NEW on the lot. :confused: :confused: :confused: They must have been pretty tight with the offers on it, holding out for more money, which never came. Now they will have to take a loss on it. Once the 2009's were coming on the lots, they should have dropped the price then, but greedy, greedy...now they are stuck with it. Buy an 09, no reason to get that rig that's been sitting for that long, I wouldn't want to do it, but I guess if saving a buck is more important than getting a better vehicle (one that's not been sitting, AND the DI engine, etc), then go ahead....I would just make sure there's no problems with the exterior, and make sure they give you a NEW battery, because this thing's probably been jumped more then once, being on the lot that long. Good luck, hope it works out for you, either on this Acadia, or another one you find. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
mikemu said:
There's not that much wiggle room to begin with although a vehicle sitting on the lot that long is running up significant finance charges. Of course, the dealers get "holdbacks" from the manufacturer for that which is an added profit margin when they move the vehicles quickly.
Good point. I remember looking at a Chrysler LeBaron like 20 years ago that was in the same situation- the car was like 1.5 years old, still new & never titled and not used much based on the miles. Dealer wouldn't budge on the price- made no sense to me to pay that price when the current model was within $500 of it.

One other possibility along the lines 09Enclave mentioned- if it has sat that long, it may well be a problem child. My dad almost bought a Buick from a dealer. It wouldn't start, no matter what they tried- thankfully he didn't buy it. I later found the dealer had to replace many of the electronic components and a mechanic thought it had been hit by lightning.

If you do decide to go for the vehicle, post the VIN here or ask for a GMVIS (GM Vehicle Info System) check on it if you don't want to post the VIN. One of our helpful members can see if it is a problem child based on the internal service history, as well as telling you when it was built so you can see exactly how old it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:thumb:

I've test driven a '08 SLT-2 totally loaded. Brown on Brick (ick) sticker 42k, right now, $8k off at 34! Not bad if you like the brick!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, back from the dealership with the 08's. They are fully loaded, 1 w/o Nav. A White/Titanium (which I find to be popular) and the Red/Ebony. The saleslady wouldn't budge on either. Gave me invoice but said maybe only a couple hundred off. She told me that even with it being an '08, the only difference from an '09 was the extra $250 rebate.
I don't think she really wanted to sell any cars today. Seems odd, but maybe I am not good at negotiating :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
CTAcadia said:
:thumb:

I've test driven a '08 SLT-2 totally loaded. Brown on Brick (ick) sticker 42k, right now, $8k off at 34! Not bad if you like the brick!
Brown on brick is the reason it's still on the lot; not a popular combo

·
Registered
79 Posts
2+3 said:
I would like to ask, your advice or assumption only, how much off of an '08 could I bargain with. There are 2 New 08's AWD SLT2 still on the lot. I know the rebate for 08 is $2500. But I wonder what else I could get off of Invoice, and I also have Supplier Pricing if that would be a better option.
Has anyone bought an '08 New after the '09's cam out? And what kind of deal could you swing?
TIA for any opinions etc...
I am in Nor. Cali
"5"....check this link regarding consumer rebates, incentives and factory rebates....the vehicle you're looking at may be a Demo if it's been there that long and, with all the trouble brewing about the sunroof leaks, that could be the reason if it has dual sunroofs. Jsimms is also right on about the color combo. http://www.cars.com/go/advice/incentives/incentivesAll.jsp?zc=23322

Also...you may want to check to see if the dealer has any 08 Yukons available - the rebates on those are nearing 10K.

Remember...if the dealer shows you the invoice on the vehicle, they're not losing $$$ - the invoice is simply what the vehicle costs to make and not what the dealer actually paid for the vehicle. If they let you see the invoice, you can rest assured there are some factory to dealer incentives or bonuses in place for the dealer if they sell you the vehicle.....negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!

·
Registered
131 Posts
2+3 said:
So, back from the dealership with the 08's. They are fully loaded, 1 w/o Nav. A White/Titanium (which I find to be popular) and the Red/Ebony. The saleslady wouldn't budge on either. Gave me invoice but said maybe only a couple hundred off. She told me that even with it being an '08, the only difference from an '09 was the extra $250 rebate.
I don't think she really wanted to sell any cars today. Seems odd, but maybe I am not good at negotiating :eek:hno:
Which NorCal dealer is this? I'm in the Bay Area and looking for an Acadia too. The folks you're dealing with seem ridiculous. No wonder they still have '08s on the lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Texicb: Thanks for the link. She was being honest with the incentives for my area, but apparently that's all they want to "give" and like I said before "not too good at the negotiating" but come on... on '08 :banghead:
mtnbound: I hate to bad talk, but the dealership is in Antioch. The lot seems reaaalll empty (almost an echo while driving the golf-cart to look at the cars).
I wonder what will happen with all these dealerships going under??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 SLT2 AWD fully loaded (Nav, Tech, Tow, Rear DVD, 19" Wheels, Cooled seats, advanced remote start, HID) out the door at $43k. I did have a trade in which lowered the tax amount by about $1,000 but the car still MSRP at about $49,500 (invoice $46,300). That does include 2,250 regional incentive but still is significantly below invoice and it's a recently built 09 VIN. Part of the reason for the good deal was they couldn't find one with just the options I wanted, and I guess they did not want to loose a sale or bother ordering one from the factory so they sold a loaded one to me at the same price. So if you can get an 09 at this price, they should be giving away an 08! And be sure you look at the differences between the 08 and 09. For example, I don't think the 08 has bluetooth and it might be missing other features as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quick update for anyone heading out the to the dealership in the next few days and thinking they will get the deal I got....

Rec'd a call from the dealership last night that they do not want to honor the agreement made. I guess the sales manager made me too good of a deal and they need another $1,000 or leave off the 19" wheels which were part of the purchase, or I don't have a car. While I don't know all the kickbacks dealers receive, I know the numbers well enough to realize I got a fantastic deal because the Acadia had several options I did not ask for and they sold it to me for the same price as a car without them. They key here being "sold me" the car which they didn't have to do, and I am shocked they 1) actually made a deal in the first place which I am now being told they would loose money on, and 2) refuse to honor the deal. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but what I assume is an honorable business (being the #1 dealership in Illinois) they won't stand by a sale made by one of their new car managers>

I bought the car a week ago, and this all comes last night and was supposed to pickup the car today which was coming in from a few states away. With my loan check in hand, and having paid off my current car to get my title last week, I am not real happy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
bjbyers said:
Quick update for anyone heading out the to the dealership in the next few days and thinking they will get the deal I got....

Rec'd a call from the dealership last night that they do not want to honor the agreement made. I guess the sales manager made me too good of a deal and they need another $1,000 or leave off the 19" wheels which were part of the purchase, or I don't have a car. While I don't know all the kickbacks dealers receive, I know the numbers well enough to realize I got a fantastic deal because the Acadia had several options I did not ask for and they sold it to me for the same price as a car without them. They key here being "sold me" the car which they didn't have to do, and I am shocked they 1) actually made a deal in the first place which I am now being told they would loose money on, and 2) refuse to honor the deal. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but what I assume is an honorable business (being the #1 dealership in Illinois) they won't stand by a sale made by one of their new car managers>

I bought the car a week ago, and this all comes last night and was supposed to pickup the car today which was coming in from a few states away. With my loan check in hand, and having paid off my current car to get my title last week, I am not real happy.
A bit of a threadjack, but did you already sign a purchase agreement? If you've already signed something that lists the price, specs, etc. you don't have to do anything and they will have to "take it in the shorts." Honestly though, I'd just have them swap the wheels. The markup on those are absurd, and 18s are still great - in both form and function.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
bjbyers said:

Rec'd a call from the dealership last night that they do not want to honor the agreement made.[/color] I guess the sales manager[/color] made me too good of a deal and they need another $1,000 or leave off the 19" wheels which were part of the purchase, or I don't have a car. While I don't know all the kickbacks dealers receive, I know the numbers well enough to realize I got a fantastic deal because the Acadia had several options I did not ask for and they sold it to me for the same price as a car without them. They key here being "sold me" the car which they didn't have to do, and I am shocked they 1) actually made a deal in the first place which I am now being told they would loose money on, and 2) refuse to honor the deal. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but what I assume is an honorable business[/color] (being the #1 dealership in Illinois) they won't stand by a sale made by one of their new car managers>

I bought the car a week ago[/color], and this all comes last night and was supposed to pickup the car today which was coming in from a few states away. With my loan check in hand, and having paid off my current car to get my title last week, I am not real happy.
In the financial news today, auto dealers were meeting with the government task force on autos. GM needs to close a bunch of dealers. The one you are dealing with should be one of them.
1) The deal was OK'd by the sales manager. It would be different if it was some noob salesman. Deals are never approved by noob salesmen BTW.
2) They knew the numbers involved a week ago. They haven't changed since then. Deals, even at 9PM, are always approved by management. Financing may be an issue, but this is determined within 24 hours. Since you already had a loan check, this is not a factor in your case.

This is a blatant bait & switch. Don't fall for it.

They sound like the #1 high pressure dealer in Illinois. I'd tell them something not very nice if they tried something like this with me after I wasted time and gas to go see them.

After I bought another one elsewhere, I'd also drive it back there and say see how nice it looks? The other dealer is laughing all the way to the bank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts