GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago, we bought a new Acadia.... The dealer writes offering to sell an "enhanced vehicle protection plan"... which offers repair insurance past the factory warranty on the entire vehicle. There are $100 deductable plans and $0 deductable plans.

What is your opinion on these? I am an ole coot... normally keep new vehicle about 5 years and accumulating 65,000 miles during the time.

We really appreciate your guidance.... money is easy to spend... hard to get.... don't grow on trees.... which you may have already noticed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've never bought one of these plans, and never would have had to use one. If you are undecided, you could just put the amount of the plan in a savings account. If you need to use it, great. If not, use it as the down payment on your next vehicle. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
We've gotten it on our other GM vehicles (other than my Firebird) and it has paid for itself. I like to tell the salesman that basically by buying it, I'm expecting to have problems with the vehicle. That's always a good lead-in when negotiating vehicle price. ;)

Even though I have a friend that can get me parts at cost, and I work on my own vehicles, I still usually opt for the extended warranty. If you have an electrical, ABS, suspension/steering, etc. problem, you can start throwing parts at it and have it total up fast, even with your own labor. I also don't hesitate to take it in for anything I even think might be a problem. Like steering rack problems on all 3 Grand Prix's, bad radio, ABS issues, HVAC control module, all out of the warranty period.

So based on my previous GM vehicles, and the fact that I got the warranty for $100 over cost (there's a really big markup on these), I opted for it. All personal preference though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's a little like playing the slot machines. The odds are always in favor of the house, but sometimes you get lucky or in this case unlucky. I did not buy it. It really is a personal choice. Just remember the price of the contract is not fixed and can be negociated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
big bear craig said:
Just remember the price of the contract is not fixed and can be negociated.
Good point. There are also plenty of places selling geniune GMPP plans over the internet. You do not need to buy it from your selling dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with Jeff!

We are blanket against "Extended Warranties" because of the rip-off factor. However, after substantial negotiating, we got a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty for $800 (the price was $1600) with GMPP. I am not really sure HOW good a deal this was, but given the fact that we have a LOADED SLT-2, there are a ton of expensive electronics that could have problems in the next 5 years, in addition to the other "real car" things!

We pay a $200 deductible per issue, (meaning that if we have ongoing problems with the DVD player, we only pay the deductible that first time).

Replacing the Nav alone was $1700 for the part only, we were told.

We feel that is is a no brainer to pay $800 to cover past the standard warranty. We only keep our cars as the family car for about 5 years, then it will become my husbands drive-4-miles-each-way-to-work car.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Keith said:
Dont buy it. Plant your money in the ground. Maybe a tree wil sprout ;D
xseler said:
I've never bought one of these plans, and never would have had to use one. If you are undecided, you could just put the amount of the plan in a savings account. If you need to use it, great. If not, use it as the down payment on your next vehicle. Just my opinion.
:ditto:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts