GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all. I am baffled and need some help. I recently bought a 2017 Acadia All Terrain with only 19K miles. It is in pristine condition. When I was washing it the other day, I looked underneath and noticed these channels welded on to the floorpan/frame on both sides. I know that models with separate rear A/C have refrigerant lines in protected channels leading from the compressor. I don't have rear A/C, and even if I did, the lines would only run along one side. The channels are u-shaped with lightening holes on the surfaces that face the driveshaft. Does anyone know why these are there? They certainly reduce ground clearance.
Tire Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have the same channels, I would think they are essentially bumpers. I do have rear AC, but nothing runs inside them.
They appear to be just a tiny bit lower than the rest of the items under the vehicle (run your eyes across them, everything seems to be a touch higher to my eyes).
If you bottom out, crumple them up a bit; cheap and easy repair. Bottom out your exhaust or other items; not so cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! But I don’t see these as much protection for underbody components, If that was GMC’s intent, a real skid plate that ran the full width of the chassis would provide much better protection as it would protect the exhaust parts, driveshaft, and other centrally mounted items.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This is a station wagon on steroids. A full skid pan is not something that probably 999 of 1000 buyers want (to pay extra for) or need.
Can't say for sure what the intent was, although a GM replacement parts site may list them with description.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I had a notion to paint them flat black so they wouldn't be as noticeable.

I think they look like some sort of bob sled skis. . . . lol.

Maybe they're for keeping the Acadia going straight if bottomed out in deep snow> LOL

Reactions: Gmcde3

·
Super Moderator
22,459 Posts
Those bars under the vehicle prevent ripping open the plastic fuel tank, or crushing the HVAC lines when going over poorly built speed bumps, curb jumping, etc.

Reactions: Motor702 and Grantv
1 - 6 of 6 Posts