GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM recommends changing brake fluid every 3 years for 2014 Acadia. Although mine has only 11k miles on it, I am planning drain/fill brake fluid shortly (have done it once on my Honda Accord). One parameter I cannot find is the capacity of the brake fluid for my 2014 Acadia (DOT 3). It's 1 q.t. for my Accord. My guess is the capacity will be larger for Acadia, but I do not want to stock too much extra as brake fluid degrades with time. Thanks in advance if anyone has the capacity value somewhere.

· Registered
8,910 Posts
You can buy 4 bottles-- and return the unopened ones.
Depends how clean you plant to get that liquid to come out.

For the brake 'flush' done at home--
take note- the sequence is NOT the typical farthest from the master cylinder. Its posted on a thread somewhere on the forum.
Also- in the dealer brake flush- there is a step where they use the computer to activate the ABS module- and help move fluid through there.

Others-- including myself- have sucked out most of the fluid in the reservoir- and refilled with new clear fluid-
have someone in the drivers seat pump and hold the brake, then open bleeder, hold the brake--- close bleeder-- pump brake and hold- open bleeder--- repeat.......
until the fluid comes out more clear than when you started.... all while making sure the reservoir does not drop too much.
Some folks recommend you go out and do a panic stop to activate the ABS- to get new fluid in the module.

So yeah- just buy a few bottles- and return what you dont use.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
GM recommends changing brake fluid every 3 years for 2014 Acadia. Although mine has only 11k miles on it, I am planning drain/fill brake fluid shortly (have done it once on my Honda Accord). One parameter I cannot find is the capacity of the brake fluid for my 2014 Acadia (DOT 3). It's 1 q.t. for my Accord. My guess is the capacity will be larger for Acadia, but I do not want to stock too much extra as brake fluid degrades with time. Thanks in advance if anyone has the capacity value somewhere.
jianjunp, is this specifically for the 2014 Acadia? Or is it a general philosophy change for General Motors. In the past GM has not generally recommended routine/periodic brake fluid changes. I assume that 3 year requirement is written in your Acadia manual.

The manual for my 2013 Acadia says change after 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. The manual for my wife's SRX says exactly the same thing.

George

· Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
1,700 Posts
speleos is right about the manual showing 10-year interval for brake fluid. I found the 3-year interval based on an online file called "Maintenance Schedule for Your 2014 GMC Acadia". https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmow...c/manuals/2014/gmc/acadia/2014 GMC Acadia.pdf
It seems to make sense for the brake fluid. As I mentioned originally, my Accord recommends changing brake fluid every 3 years.
As I noted, the 3 year spec is primarily in recommendations by foreign makers, as is your Accord.

I did not think you had found the 3 year recommendation in a GM document. Regardless, if you like changing the brake fluid in whatever time period that is of course your choice.

My main interest in posting was to be sure whether or not GM had changed and was now recommending 3 years.

George

· Registered
1 Posts
For anyone looking for bleed order in the future. For Gen1 Acadia:
For FWD, bleed order is: RR, LF, LR, RF
For AWD, bleed order is: RR, LR, RF, LF

Sources:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts