GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to "preface", I feel guilty even saying this...

So, I've had my Acadia for about a month now. And wierdly, I'm almost wishing I had purchased a different color. I was on the fence about getting black vs. White Diamond....I purchased the White Diamond, which is beautiful....BUT....I'm on the verge of regretting my color preference, which is an AWFUL feeling. aggh

Is it possible to take my Acadia somewhere for them to paint it the carbon black metalic? Or am I stuck (not that it would be a terrible thing). I'd never *buy* paint and do it myself or hire an amateur to do it. I'd definitely consider doing it if a professional could do it.

Any suggestions? Are there any GMC sites that would do this for me, for a price?

Thanks,

Leslie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
For what it would cost to have it painted by a really good paint place, you could sell it yourself and then just buy another one. You still might take a hit, but if you have it painted and they screw it up, you will be sick and have a car that would be very hard to sell at a later date. Even if they do an adequate job, it still won't be like the one painted at the factory. Most paint shops don't have the kind of equipment the factory has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
You would spend a lot of money for it to be painted the right way. The door jambs and under the hood would all need to be painted for it to be right. You would be better off selling it or trading it in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I agree with what's been said above. Have you talked to the dealer you bought it from? Maybe they'll cut you a deal on trading it in for the color you really want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Yea ... plus there are the warranty issues that surround rust-through protection and stuff like that.

The best cheapest way to accomplish what you want to do is to wait until GM has their next big sale event (it wont be long based on the direction the economy continues to head) and get another one.

But don't trade yours, sell it privately/locally through auto-trader or craigslist. You won't take a very big hit on it at all via a private party sale v. trading it.

I never trade my cars at the dealership and I get respectable sale prices when I do it privately. All the talk you hear people say about having to deal with crazy people and phone calls - nope - that was 1992. In 2008, we have email to screen out the crazies and plenty of on-line resources to educate yourself on setting a price and comparing it to what others are asking for their similar make, model, year, miles, etc ... You really get screwed on trading any car.

Buyers remorse is the worst feeling, but spending thousands to repaint the truck you have is just going to lead to more headaches down the road if it isn't done perfectly. Can also to lead to a lot of questions from the person who eventually bought the truck from you when you re-sold it or traded it. These guys replies make a lot of sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
The thing is if she gets a top notch shop the paint job will be pricey but it will also be much much better than the factory paint job.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
LBrown said:
Is it possible to take my Acadia somewhere for them to paint it the carbon black metalic?
I wouldn't go to the Carbon Black!!!!
Too many scratches and swirl marks.Unless you want to baby the paint to reduce any marks, and hand wash it yourself.
See my adventure by following this link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Lbrown, sorry to hear about your dilemma. I also believe you would be better off selling your acadia privately to
recoup most of it's value. If you trade it in you will take a huge depreciation, since dealers will offer you a whole
sale price which is way below say auto-trader.

You may consider replacing your 2008 with a comparable 08 with your color preference, that way you can
"equalize" your costs. Good luck with your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
I suggest giving it another month or two and have a better feel for how the White is. I liked several colors---a lot---and had trouble deciding. One dealer was working on obtaining a carbon black for me, and I went back to a different dealer to buy the silver I had test driven. Every day of getting in and out of the silver and I feel better and better about it.

I still love the carbon black, and I've seen one or two and loved them out on the road. But eventually I had to make a decision and I did.

The only way I wouldn't wait another month or two is IF you are resigned to getting another one----the 2008s won't be around too much longer, for instance.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
The carbon black is a nice color :thumb:, but not nice enough to re-paint! :eek:hno:

Plus the WDT, and silver are the two lowest maintenance colors. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I agree! Your best bet is to sell and buy new -or- trade. By having it repainted, It might even loose eye appeal to potential buyers in the future when they find out it's been repainted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
I would check into a stripe or some type of graphic kit that might make the color have a little more appeal in your eyes.
With a white backdrop you can use any color, add a favorite college color and college logo to the stripes, the combinations are endless.
I used red & black stripes on my white car. If I didn't like it or got tired I could just use the hair dryer, heat up the stripe and remove it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
mrvids said:
I would check into a stripe or some type of graphic kit that might make the color have a little more appeal in your eyes.
With a white backdrop you can use any color, add a favorite college color and college logo to the stripes, the combinations are endless.
I used red & black stripes on my white car. If I didn't like it or got tired I could just use the hair dryer, heat up the stripe and remove it.
Photos please!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone who gave input. I felt guilty even bringing it up, but couldn't help it. I felt like I had gotten a new pet and then a month later, wished I had gotten a different one! :-X (Ok, maybe not *that* bad, but you get my drift...).

I didn't realize how much of a pain it would be to get it painted, or how much it would be, so I'll probably just end up keeping it as is, which isn't the end of the world...it really is a beautiful color. I just thought it might be a simple "appointment and drop off" and a "price" and whala...I could have the color I wanted. But I didn't realize it wasn't that easy.

This is how pathetic I am.... :banghead:

I get my WDT coat (going back and forth between that and the black) and then two weeks later (because they loved my Acadia so much, my parents got one...and they got black).....so now I look at their black wishing I had that color! agghh...*sigh*. stupid and sad, I know. I'm 27 and should be more mature than that by now. LOL :blob:

Thank you everyone. You're great. I love this forum! And thanks for not making me feel like an idiot for asking. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
In my opinion, dark colors are harder to keep looking nice in the long run.
I personally think that in the long run you will like the WDT better than your parent's black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. You know...you're probably right. I probably will in the long run. :cheers:

Appreciate it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
LBrown said:
Thanks everyone who gave input. I felt guilty even bringing it up, but couldn't help it. I felt like I had gotten a new pet and then a month later, wished I had gotten a different one! :-X (Ok, maybe not *that* bad, but you get my drift...).

I didn't realize how much of a pain it would be to get it painted, or how much it would be, so I'll probably just end up keeping it as is, which isn't the end of the world...it really is a beautiful color. I just thought it might be a simple "appointment and drop off" and a "price" and whala...I could have the color I wanted. But I didn't realize it wasn't that easy.

This is how pathetic I am.... :banghead:

I get my WDT coat (going back and forth between that and the black) and then two weeks later (because they loved my Acadia so much, my parents got one...and they got black).....so now I look at their black wishing I had that color! agghh...*sigh*. stupid and sad, I know. I'm 27 and should be more mature than that by now. LOL :blob:

Thank you everyone. You're great. I love this forum! And thanks for not making me feel like an idiot for asking. :)
Sounds like my family. In 2004 I bought a 2004 Envoy XUV, then my dad got one the same day.
I trade in my 2004 Envoy, and got a 2008 Acadia, my parents ordered theirs the same day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Good idea on the stripes. My dealer had stripes on a couple of 08s before they sold and I liked them a lot. I think the WDT had black stripes, and the Medium Brown had a light tan kit on it. The dealer applied them, not real expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was really funny actually, b/c my father came with me to pick up my car...(after advising me "Leslie, don't buy an SUV, you'll end up regretting it")...and that day he kept saying, "This is some nice...I bet your mother would like this".

They both fall in love with it, and neither one of them have had an SUV in their life...all sedans and one pick-up truck. They go to look at other SUV/Crossover's like it so they wouldn't buy the same thing "their daughter has". They tried out the Ford Edge, and looked at the Honda CRV, and then went and tried out an Acadia (3 times!)....I was like, "just go buy one!"

Hence the nice black carbon Acadia sitting in their driveway.

LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
LBrown said:
It was really funny actually, b/c my father came with me to pick up my car...(after advising me "Leslie, don't buy an SUV, you'll end up regretting it")...and that day he kept saying, "This is some nice...I bet your mother would like this".

They both fall in love with it, and neither one of them have had an SUV in their life...all sedans and one pick-up truck. They go to look at other SUV/Crossover's like it so they wouldn't buy the same thing "their daughter has". They tried out the Ford Edge, and looked at the Honda CRV, and then went and tried out an Acadia (3 times!)....I was like, "just go buy one!"

Hence the nice black carbon Acadia sitting in their driveway.

LOL
And people say parents know best, people should listen to thier kids more ;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top