GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I think they call that sludge and you can enjoy that with oil change intervals in excess of 3k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I would be interested to see what the OLM (Oil Life Monitor System) said about that?

·
Registered
117 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I would be interested to see what the OLM (Oil Life Monitor System) said about that?
My husband manages a Valvoline Instant Oil Change and he says the OLM doesn't even look at the oil or the condition that it is in. It just takes into account the miles driven and the type of driving that is done to determine the % of oil used. I go by the mileage. I drive mainly highway miles so I change it about every 5000 miles and use Valvoline Synthetic in my 08' SLT2.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Sunkahlua said:
My husband manages a Valvoline Instant Oil Change and he says the OLM doesn't even look at the oil or the condition that it is in. It just takes into account the miles driven and the type of driving that is done to determine the % of oil used. I go by the mileage. I drive mainly highway miles so I change it about every 5000 miles and use Valvoline Synthetic in my 08' SLT2.
OLM is horrible. I never go by it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bonk1313 said:
OLM is horrible. I never go by it.
That's what my husband says also....great minds must think alike.... :thumb:

·
Registered
423 Posts
huh, so thats why we are supposed to change oil... :eek:
we have accidentally(cause im lazy) gone by the OLM, i know its a bad idea.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Schram said:
huh, so thats why we are supposed to change oil... :eek:
we have accidentally(cause im lazy) gone by the OLM, i know its a bad idea.
Regular changes from hereon should help clear up any sludge that may have already formed.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
I saw this interesting post on BITOG. It is a Saturn Outlook.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/nochangeyoil/

I don't know what everything should look like, but the pics don't look pretty.
Those pics are just like the sluged up Camry engines that Toyota replaced. Seems Toyota owners were so sure of their vehicle's bullet-proof reliability, regular maintenance like oil changes were deemed no longer necessary (yeah, one of my sisters was a "victim" of this with her Lexus ES300) ::).

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Those pics are just like the sluged up Camry engines that Toyota replaced. Seems Toyota owners were so sure of their vehicle's bullet-proof reliability, regular maintenance like oil changes were deemed no longer necessary (yeah, one of my sisters was a "victim" of this with her Lexus ES300) ::).
Bullet proof-maybe
Oil breakdown proof-nope

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
Bullet proof-maybe
Oil breakdown proof-nope
Amazing how the media doesn't pick up on those issues when its Toyota - what about the pickups that had major rust issues that required a recall.

·
Registered
484 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
I saw this interesting post on BITOG. It is a Saturn Outlook.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/nochangeyoil/

I don't know what everything should look like, but the pics don't look pretty.
I wonder what the mileage on that engine was at when this happened and if it was the original oil?

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
There are so many variables whern it comes to oil life. Driving habits, atmospheric conditions, how well the engine was put together in the first place, who knows what the best interval is for changing oil in any particular vehicle for any individual driver. One rule of thumb I learned is that "you can't change oil too often." Most of my vehicles spend their driving life above 50 mph in pretty decent conditions. Oil changes at 7500 mile intervals have done quite well for all those engines, thank you. A few times I goofed and allowed the interval to widen beyond 10,000 miles. A peek into the valve cover from the oil fill reveals no sludge, gunk or other frommage (that's French for cheese) on the covered portion of the cylinder head or on the visible rocker arms. How manty of you experts and observers even bother to check the oil between changes? What the oil looks like on the dipstick (i.e., transparency or clarity) can give a pretty fair indication of how dirty the lubricant has become. I won't fall into the "Jiffy Lube trap" of changing oil every 3,000 miles if I don't need to do so. It's blatantly false to tell someone that it is absolutely necessary to do that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rat407 said:
I wonder what the mileage on that engine was at when this happened and if it was the original oil?
There was another article with the pics that said it was the factory fill at 18K and change. It was an Enterprise rental vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
There was another article with the pics that said it was the factory fill at 18K and change. It was an Enterprise rental vehicle.
Just think about what that poor car's engine went through in its' short lifetime! ::)

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
speleos said:
Just think about what that poor car's engine went through in its' short lifetime! ::)
Scary - 18K isn't all that long if you think about it. We put 3K on our Acadia just in the last month. Couldn't believe it was time for another oil change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have only ever gone by the OLM, i figure that's what it is there for so i might as well go by it. Dealerships have all said it is ok to go by the OLM but have also suggested switching to a more frequent interval system through their service department (of course they would suggest that). I fully understand the importance of frequent oil changes but i also think that sometimes people are doing it more frequently than they may need to. I knew a guy who had a Dodge Ram with the Cummins Diesel and he managed to run up 1 million Kms on it with a total of 4 oil changes... NOT THAT I WOULD EVER RECOMMEND THAT! The truck was retired after it was backed over by a piece of equipment out on the logging site.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I concerned me when I read that using the OEM to decide when to change the oil will save some huge number of quarts of oil per year from going into the environment. (not that I don't care about the environment). But it made me wonder if there is an environmental push to get the manufacturers to stretch out that interval as far as possible and the driving factor might be something other than what is best for the car.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
COnsidering the cost of an oil change, it's silly to go beyond 3K or maybe 4K. But if you think you can get by on changes every 250K, go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
speleos said:
There are so many variables whern it comes to oil life. Driving habits, atmospheric conditions, how well the engine was put together in the first place, who knows what the best interval is for changing oil in any particular vehicle for any individual driver. One rule of thumb I learned is that "you can't change oil too often." Most of my vehicles spend their driving life above 50 mph in pretty decent conditions. Oil changes at 7500 mile intervals have done quite well for all those engines, thank you. A few times I goofed and allowed the interval to widen beyond 10,000 miles. A peek into the valve cover from the oil fill reveals no sludge, gunk or other frommage (that's French for cheese) on the covered portion of the cylinder head or on the visible rocker arms. How manty of you experts and observers even bother to check the oil between changes? What the oil looks like on the dipstick (i.e., transparency or clarity) can give a pretty fair indication of how dirty the lubricant has become. I won't fall into the "Jiffy Lube trap" of changing oil every 3,000 miles if I don't need to do so. It's blatantly false to tell someone that it is absolutely necessary to do that.
OMG we agree on something 100%. LOL! :thumb: I'm gonna mark this day on my calendar. I think I get my oil changed about 3 times a year. I'm putting so far about 25K a year on the Acadia. So that's an oil change roughly every 8,000ish miles.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts