GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that a lot of stuff that people use on their tires is not good for the tires.

What should you use on your tires to keep them shiny, but not ruin the tire?

·
Registered
123 Posts
IScubaSlo said:
I've heard that a lot of stuff that people use on their tires is not good for the tires.

its called armour-all

·
Registered
18 Posts
There a couple of other good threads in detailing covering this topic - of special note in regard to Armour-All

Re: What do you use on your vehicles?
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2007, 04:23:20 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Armour-All on your tires--the details:
Here is a writeup from Larry Reynolds of Car Care Specialties, Inc, Saddle Brook, NJ, 201-796-8300, [email protected] during a recent PCA workshop covering concour tips for Porsche owners:
There are two main degrading agents that attack tires. They are UV light waves and ozone. Both of these attack the long hydrocarbon chains of the rubber and by breaking these bonds, shorten the molecules with resulting loss
of elasticity and other problems. Tire manufacturers add two primary sacraficial protectants to the rubber. To protect against UV, they add carbon black. This is why tires don't come in designer colors to match your paint.
The carbon black will turn white/gray as it absorbs the UV and dissipates the energy as heat. Thus the basis of rubber parts turning gray as they age. To protect against ozone, tire manufacturers add a wax-based sacraficial
protectant. The ozone attacks the wax and depletes it. As the tire rolls, additional wax is forced to the surface of the tire. This is referred to as "blooming". This blooming refreshes the surface wax protectant. A tire that
has not been flexed will have the wax depleted by the ozone and thus begin to degrade and suffer "dry rot". The silicone oil in Armour All et Al may actually dissolve the wax and be the cause of premature tire sidewall cracking/failure. In conclusion, any tire dressing should contain a UV protectant to bolster the efforts of the carbon black and not contain any silicone.[/color]
Probably more than you wanted, but it sure explains it well.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have used several of the spray on foam tire shine products for years. I have seen no damage whatsoever to the tires. I cannot imagine any of these doing damage to a tire. All seem to work as well. The one I would not use again is the non foaming armor all spray. It is a clear fluid. Works ok but is like baby oil. It does not disperse as well as the foam and leaves a greasy stain on the ground if you miss the tire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had heard before not to use Armour-All, that it could damage tires. I had used it previously on my Denali and noticed that the tires would turn a chocolate brown after a few days.

Thanks for the info.............

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nothing attracts dirt to a tire like slathering a tire shine product on it.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Nu2GMC said:
That is why you don;t "slather" it on.

You put a heavy coat on to make the tire nice and wet with an applicator sponge. Let it sitfor a minute or so. Then with a terry cloth towel you wipe off the excess. It will leave the shine but not makeit soaking wet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Zaino Tire shine....it does give that ghetto shine, but a nice clean look..

Adam

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
totallook by spray nine

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nu2GMC said:
That's only the case for silicone based tire shine stuff. If you use a water based it looks really nice, and lasts a long time. I use Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel:

http://www.autogeek.net/piblontigel.html

There's some other ones too, just need to be water based and it will stay black and shine for weeks instead of days. It also doesn't destroy the tire and turn all brown like the silicone based ones.

·
Registered
218 Posts
MsS42 said:
IScubaSlo said:

its called armour-all
Armour all will eventually dry out the sidewalls and crack the tire. I learned about this the hard way with a set of Prelli's when I was younger. They were $200.00 a tire back in 1990 man was I mad when they cracked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use Meguiar's Endurance tire gel. Last a long time, even after it rains I can still see somewhat of a shine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stoners More Shine!!! :thumb: I've used about all of the above mentioned products before and none have worked as well as the "more shine". It sprays on without making a mess, and I can wash the truck 3 or 4 times before I have to reapply. also I have noticed no detriment to the tire down here in the ga sun. I highly recommend it. :cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
What a wide variety of products everyone uses. Never knew about the Armor All for tires, but have known for quite a while not to use Armor All for your dash. Thanks for the input all.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
Nu2GMC said:
That's only the case for silicone based tire shine stuff. If you use a water based it looks really nice, and lasts a long time. I use Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel:

http://www.autogeek.net/piblontigel.html

There's some other ones too, just need to be water based and it will stay black and shine for weeks instead of days. It also doesn't destroy the tire and turn all brown like the silicone based ones.
Thanks for your short and to the point observation. I will look for commercial, off the shelf, waterbase product. Yes, Pinnacle makes fine products.

·
Registered
284 Posts
badkarma said:
Stoners More Shine!!! :thumb: I've used about all of the above mentioned products before and none have worked as well as the "more shine". It sprays on without making a mess, and I can wash the truck 3 or 4 times before I have to reapply. also I have noticed no detriment to the tire down here in the ga sun. I highly recommend it. :cheers:
Same here, and I've had a part-time detailing business for years. Used to use the gels, mainly Meguiars Endurance, and liked them, but not the mess and the shine/black never seemed to last all that long.

Then a few years ago I switched over to Stoners More Shine, Less Time, and haven't used anything else different since then. It's a clear aerosol spray and SO much easier than the gels, covers fantastically, gives a great, clean, dark shine, and it actually does last through rain unlike no other I've seen. Of course, it dulls a bit, but still keeps the tires light gloss black.

I've used other sprays too, even more expensive ones, and none had the coverage and lasting of the Stoners and slung off frequently.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Stoner Tire Shine after using Meguiars, never looked back....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stoners is great, but I prefer the Michelin product. Easy to put on and reapply, water based, and looks pretty good.
Ease of use and clean-up is what I look for.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts