GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These parts have white scuff marks on them and I can't seem to get it to wash off. What do you use on these parts? My boyfriend suggested taking Armorall to them, but they are not shiny parts. It's more of a dull black.

Help? :-\

·
Registered
752 Posts
Try some Simple Green - full strength - use something stiffer than a rag. Next step would be a a light rubbing compound (like the stuff by turtle wax) in a very small area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know its not the best polish to use but I have been using the Turle Wax Ice product and I am very impressed with the finish that it gives! The nice thing about this product is that you can use it on all parts of the car with the exception of the glass. I use it on the chrome, black plastic, rubber gaskets, body, etc. It seems that after you use this, the normal road dirt on the black plastic rinses right off between washings. It does not leave the armorall shine but I'm not crazy about that being very shiny anyway.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
OMG!!!!!! :jaw:

Do not do anything noted above. Do nto take compund to it or Armor all. :beatdown: :rant: :soapbox:

To removewhite scuff marks or left over wax that got on the textured part of the trim use a MagicEraser.

Got to a supermarketand go buy a box of MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASERS.

Wet it and scrub the affected area.Wipe clean with a damp cloth. Marks will be gone. :thumbsup: :banana: :hyper:

·
Registered
752 Posts
hey, notice my first suggestion was Simple Green. The stuff is biodegradeable,but will remove darn near anything - plus, you can (and I have) wash your hands with it. If that won't take it off, then I suggested a much stronger step. I am curious about magic eraser though. I will have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
sandman said:
hey, notice my first suggestion was Simple Green. The stuff is biodegradeable,but will remove darn near anything - plus, you can (and I have) wash your hands with it. If that won't take it off, then I suggested a much stronger step. I am curious about magic eraser though. I will have to give it a try.
The simple green may dry out the plastic ver time of using it.

MCME is the easiest and safest way to remove the marks.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have magic erasers already in the house! :) Thanks for the tip! I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Web Raven said:
These parts have white scuff marks on them and I can't seem to get it to wash off. What do you use on these parts? My boyfriend suggested taking Armorall to them, but they are not shiny parts. It's more of a dull black.

Help? :-\
WR - I just used the Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss on all of my black plastic panels after I washed them with a car wash soap (you can use a soft bristle wheel brush to get into the texture) - they all look great, just enough sheen to look bright but not overly shiny and they all look black too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The magic eraser as noted by NY Joe is the best way to remove the wax on the black. Then you can hit the plastic with some "More Shine" from Stoner. If you like dull black, just one coat, two coats for more shine. Just make sure you don't spray the backup sensors or chrome. :thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Black plastic wheel well liners

Maybe I'm getting a little anal, but I was detailing my Acadia over the weekend and noticed how nice the plastic was lining the wheel wells. I used 303 Aerospace protectant on them, and while you have to be close to the car to notice, it really set it off nicely. I've done it on other cars, and dirt does not collect as easily either.

Love the truck, want to keep it looking showroom new. Erik

·
Registered
54 Posts
NY_Joe

Thanks for the tip on the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. My Dakota mirrors and door handles looked awful until I got to work on them with the Eraser. The plastic hasn't looked that good since I bought it. I'm going to have to stock my detailing cabinet with a couple of boxes. Great product!

Mike

:clap:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used Poorboys Natural Look on all the exterior black trim as well as 303 Aerospace protectant every month or so as a protectant from fading. The Poorboys Natural Look gives a real nice not so shiny clean look to the trim and the 303 Aerospace protectant has a SPF40 in it to protect. I basically alternate between the two. You can remove wax residue on black trim using a product called Wax Blaster:

http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html

There are some other products as well. Pretty much any question you may have can be answered through Autogeek.net

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used some bug and tar remover on some gum. Be Sure to do a test spot somewhere you can not see. I did and have some discloration of the bumper from it. SH*T

·
Registered
88 Posts
Magic Eraser and Aerospace 303 are the way to go. I use all Zaino products. They are simply the best. Check it out:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the Aerospace 303 Protectant fading the black plastic trims on their vehicles, I've used Armor-All on previous vehicles (didn't know better) and 3 years later the black was gray. Any recommendation of any other products? Also does the same Aerospace 303 protectant work just as good inside the vehicle?

·
Registered
88 Posts
303 will not fade anything, it has SPF in it. The original Armor all was a petroleum based product that would dry out plastic and rubber over time. Never use that stuff. 303 will protect and revitalize all interior and exterior black areas. The biggest problem is the exterior needs to be redone at least once per month because it comes off. The interior lasts a good long time and it is safe as can be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been using Eagle One Nanowax on the plastic. Excellent results. The Armor All or other dressing type products seem to attrack to much dirt. Nanowax has worked the best of any product I have tried.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I use Klasse AIO Acrylic cleaner/wax for both paint and on all plastics for years. Klasse product is excellent for protecting, metal, plastic, and fiberglass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
nc-acadiaman said:
I have been using Eagle One Nanowax on the plastic. Excellent results. The Armor All or other dressing type products seem to attrack to much dirt. Nanowax has worked the best of any product I have tried.
I totally agree. I was in Colorado this summer and saw a gentleman who had a beautiful finish on his clearcoat. He introduced me to Nanowax and I have begun using it on all my vehicles. I especially like the fact that it will not leave a white or chalky residue on any plastic or rubber bumpers or trim. And the extra benefit is that is relatively cheap compared to many of the other high end wax/polymer finishes out on the market place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts