GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we arrived home yesterday afternoon after a whirlwind tour of the US and many campgrounds and state parks and a small stop at Disney. All told it was a 3473 mile trip starting on Oct 10th and ending on Oct 26th. I will post some pics in this thread after I get them uploaded to photobucket. Our trip started out leaving London at 7:34 AM Friday oct 10th and we crossed over into Michigan at the Blue Water Bridge into Port Huron for a quick trip down I94 to I75 or so we thought. I75 at Detroit was closed so back out and around on the not so short detour and we were onour way only adding an additional 1.5 hours in Michigan LOL. So after that we hit I75 and cruised on down to Kentucky for a quick one night stop over at the Cincinatti South campground in Crittenden Kentucky. The next morning we shot off to Tenn for our stay at the Jellystone campground in Gatlinburg well just outside Gatlinburgh. We arrived there on Oct 11th for 2 nights the campground was small and the day we arrived they had some trick or treating for the kids and a haunted hayride so the kids had a blast. The next morning we went to the scenic outlook in the Smokeys and climbed to an elevation of 6643 feet the truck performed great at all elevations and with and without anything hooked up to it to tow. We also went to the Ripleys Aquarium in Gatlinburg it was a very well laid out aquarium and the whole family really enjoyed it. The next morning it was packup and go time to head to Savanna Georgia and Skidaway State Park. We drove I40 to I95 through the Smokeys and the truck loved the elevation changed loaded and unloaded we even did the entire drive with the cruise control on and tow mode on for half and off for half just to see any difference (nothing was really noticed). So we arrived at the campground around 7:30 PM and set up the trailer and made some dinner. The next morning we did a bit of exploring around the campground and then drove to Hiltpon Head Island to check out the Disney resort we own DVC points at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort (go figure). The place was small but it was quite cool the kids found a piere that went out over the inlet for the ocean and it was low tide when we arrived then the tide came in as we stood there. We got to see some blue crabs chasing the small fish along with a stingray and a few Osprey flying around. The next day was a pack up and head out to Homosassa Springs Florida this was a long drive we took I95 down to I10 in Florida then from I10 down I75 to Ocala and got off there to head to Turtle Creek campground in Homosassa. Anyhow I will write some more after and get some pics uploaded for all to see.

(OH YA We AVERAGED 24 MPG while towing and we were driving between 55 and 65 MPH)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!! Welcome back!! That was awesome mileage!! :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAR said:
Sounds like a great trip!! Welcome back!! That was awesome mileage!! :)
It was a very fun trip and I have much much more to post like the Sarasota/Myakka River state park portion and the Disney portion along with pics but the kids stayed home from school today so I have not had much free time I will get to it tomorrow or tonight after I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip with the family. What a nice time with everyone full of memories! Do you have the navigation system and get a chance to use?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Welcome back, sounds like you enjoyed the Acadia, and it treated you well. Glad to hear.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We missed you around here- as you can see Bonk got a well deserved promotion! Thanks for bringing the cooler Canadian type weather to FL, eh?

Glad to hear all went well, as GAR said, great towing MPG.

Teeter, he has an SLE (nav not an option :(). I don't believe he has retrofitted the nav unit to it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
We missed you around here- as you can see Bonk got a well deserved promotion! Thanks for bringing the cooler Canadian type weather to FL, eh?

Glad to hear all went well, as GAR said, great towing MPG.

Teeter, he has an SLE (nav not an option :(). I don't believe he has retrofitted the nav unit to it.
You are correct we do not have NAV only the old fashioned 2D version AKA a map which is just how we like it. Mind you ON STAR is awesome I had a fishing charter set up when we were down in Myakka and forgot the phone number at home so I just used on star and had them look up the number via the web and got it that way. Funny thing when I called ON STAR I got their site in Toronto not the site in the US I was told all Canadian owners will always get the Canadian site and never the American site.

Blue you are welcome on the cooler weather it was **** hot when we were on our trip even in Kentucky it was boiling. I should have grabbed you number and if we were close we could have had a beer at a pub.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, welcome back! BTW, how did the Collinites 845 hold up for you? If memory serves correct, you were able to get some on before heading out. I just put some on my allroad this past weekend after a cleanup polish. Oh, and thanks again for the care package from up north!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well as promised here are some pics of the truck and trailer and the campgrounds we stopped at.

These are random pics from on the way to Gatlinburg.

Jelico stopped for lunch here.

This is in Gatlinburg. Jellystone Park campground.

Savanna @ Sidaway State Park.

Turtle Creek RV Resort in Homosassa FLA

Myakka River State Park near Sarasota FLA

Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground @ WDW.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dj_jonnyv said:
Hey, welcome back! BTW, how did the Collinites 845 hold up for you? If memory serves correct, you were able to get some on before heading out. I just put some on my allroad this past weekend after a cleanup polish. Oh, and thanks again for the care package from up north!
No worries Jonny it was no trouble at all if you ever need anything else like that just drop me a line and I will be glad to help out.

Also yes I did get the insulator wax and applied it on the Thursday night before we left it arrived Tursday afternoon LOL. It held up well but it is now pretty much worn out with all the driving and other stuff we asked it to handle like tree sap and sand and dirt etc.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
DSNY FN said:
Funny thing when I called ON STAR I got their site in Toronto not the site in the US I was told all Canadian owners will always get the Canadian site and never the American site.
How'd you know it was the Canadian site? Did they answer "How can I help you today, Mr. DSNY FN, eh?" hehe... :p I'm teasing of course.

Your trip sounds like fun and the pix are great. :) I have a pop-up that I've towed with my Acadia too. It really does a great job. Except over that one portion of S294 by Lake-Cook where the road is strangely wavy or bumpy. It tends to jerk the trailer hitch a lot and make the Acadia lurch. But I think almost any vehicle towing over that area would experience the same thing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Web Raven said:
DSNY FN said:
Funny thing when I called ON STAR I got their site in Toronto not the site in the US I was told all Canadian owners will always get the Canadian site and never the American site.
How'd you know it was the Canadian site? Did they answer "How can I help you today, Mr. DSNY FN, eh?" hehe... :p I'm teasing of course.

Your trip sounds like fun and the pix are great. :) I have a pop-up that I've towed with my Acadia too. It really does a great job. Except over that one portion of S294 by Lake-Cook where the road is strangely wavy or bumpy. It tends to jerk the trailer hitch a lot and make the Acadia lurch. But I think almost any vehicle towing over that area would experience the same thing.
Ya there are a few sections we drove over that were like that it made it feel like you were pulling a pogostick behind you LOL. As for knowing it was the Canadian site I asked the girl LOL. I asked here where she was located and she told me she was in Toronto and that any Canadian using on star would be connected to the Toronto site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts