GMC Acadia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Time to change my signature! I finally had to realize I am not as cool as I think I am. They found my color and configuration no problem. It is costing us significantly less than an almost identically equipped Acadia (We will be out the door with all fees $28,400) with them giving us entirely too much for my husband's 10 year old trade. I am working with a friend's dealership with the fleet manager and he is throwing in all kinds of extras - all weather floor mats, full detail for the car we are keeping, etc.

I spend a lot of time not only with my two little kiddos but nieces and nephews who are little too. (Plus, I have one on the way...so the little ones will keep coming.) It is way easier to get in and out of the minivan than an Acadia. I have real world proof. Now, to each their own and everyone has their own comfort level and ages of children and their ability to get in and out of the car. But my sister's Odyssey is in the shop for a couple days for warranty work and they gave her a rental - an ACADIA of all things. Our younger sister is visiting from Colorado with her two little girls. So, yesterday, we had 3 moms and 5 kids in car seats in the Acadia. (It is a bench, not a captain version or else this would not have been possible.) It was way harder to maneuver the kids in and out of the Acadia than when we were doing it in her Odyssey. Unfortunately, or fortunately, yesterday's experience sealed the deal. No Acadia for us for sure. My sister admitted it was fun to drive - I concur. It is more fun to drive than a minivan.

But another situation we ran across - while we were out and about we stopped at a grocery store and picked up a couple of things. One of which was a 24 pk. case of water. There was a stroller behind the 3rd row. We opened the back and the only place we could put the case of water was balancing on top of the stroller. In a minivan, an Odyssey with its deep well in the back, a stroller can stand stand folded and upright and still leave room for groceries. In an Acadia, with a stroller folded and lying on its side, there is not much room for anything else if all other seats are in use.

So, I really do love the Acadia. It is attractive, a fun ride, a cool truck, and has lots of innovative features, but, for this mama, it is not the practical choice. So, I am going tonight to pick up my Odyssey. It is being dealer-traded as we speak. I know I will be happy knowing I saved so much more money (at least $8000 less than the Acadia) and I can make much needed home improvements and feel a little more on top of the game.

Thanks to all for your help along the way. This forum is so amazing! I just realized the Acadia didn't meet our needs as well as I needed it to. If my kids were a little older right now and we were done makin' em, (an had a little more $$) we would get an Acadia in a heart beat.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Congrats!
Good luck and have fun!
Here's to you :dancing:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Good luck with the Odyssey! If that's the better fit for your needs, then you made the right choice. Please feel free to pop back in from time to time and say hi.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nice to hear you finally made your selection and are very happy. Happiness is what life is all about! Have fun on some remodeling also which we are doing right now. Oak kitchen flooring will be in Friday. Tuesday new main bath complete remodel. New carpeting is ready to be installed after that. Please come back and let us know how happy you are with the new ride!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like you make the right choice for your needs. I would have done the same thing in your situation. I came out of a minivan (which I loved) into the Acadia (which I also love). My daughter is now 17, driving and has her own car, so going with the Acadia was right for me. I still need a vehicle to carry a lot of people when I need it and to carry cargo when I need it so the Acadia works great for me. I loved my van for all those reasons and for carrying around my daughter and her friends when they were little. It would have been harder in the Acadia I think.

Enjoy your new vehicle and know you made the right choice for you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we are making the right choice too. Now my kids are excited to pick it up tonight...I hope they get it all ready for us before tomorrow!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds great. So what trim level & color did you get?

With Honda, at least, that is a VERY simple part...pick the color, the trim, and you're done, aside from any accessories afterwards.

·
Registered
812 Posts
:thumb: nice choice! Enjoy your new ride!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an Odyssey. They are very nice vehicles. With your situation, I don't blame you for chosing the Odyssey. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dark Cherry Pearl, Ivory (Tan) leather, EXL-RES. Easy. I talked to my guy just a little while ago. It arrived while we were on the phone and since it took longer than he thought to get there, it will be ready in the morning. The more we talked, the more he threw in for me. This has been the easiest thing I could have imagined. He is tinting the front windows, adding "Clear Bra" to strategic locations like door edges, adding remote start for cost.

So, he will deliver (send a guy) tomorrow, take my 98 Accord back to the dealer to detail to get all pretty to get transferred to my husband. Then they will deliver the 98 accord to his office and trade him for the 97 accord which they get to keep as the trade. Then, he will make sure I have the final number to send them a check, after checking to see if there is any $$ left to transfer from one tag to the other.

Man, it makes me want to buy another car from him!! I never thought buying a car would be this easy. I told him that in a year or so we need to keep an eye out for a 95-96ish Acura MDX in Red for Mr. Mama.

It had to be a tan leather interior, that is one thing I liked better in the Outlook. I could never get comfy with the titanium. Too cold.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congrats on your decision. :thumb: Seems like this will fit your needs better. You might need
to update your sig though ;D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done. It was a sad thing to do. 8) How cool am I ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
WASHINGTON - March 19, 2007 - Honda Motor Corp. said Monday that it was recalling about 165,000 vehicles from the 2005-06 model years in the United States to deal with potential engine problems

Honda said the recall affected 2005 models of the Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans, 2005 Honda Accord coupes, sedans and hybrids, 2005 Odyssey minivans and 2006 Ridgeline trucks.

The move is part of a global recall because of similar problems, said Honda spokesman Chris Martin. Details on the total number of vehicles and the number of countries where the vehicles were sold were not immediately available, he said.

Martin said the automaker discovered that sealer material leaked onto a coil wire inside the fuel pump relay on some of the vehicles. The wire can become brittle and snap, causing the engine to stall or fail to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Momma, I have three kids (4yr old twins and a 3 year old). I was very excited when I got our Acadia about the ability to get all the kids in there. It turns out that practically speaking our old reliable mini-van just does the job much better. You simply cannot beat the ease of ingress and egress, storage room, ease of car seat installation and the sliding side doors. Yes is isn't cool, but it suits our lifestyle much better. I think I'd rather eat glass than have two put three car seats back in the Acadia again, and the Acadia arguably has the most usable 3rd row seat in a 'ute on the market (save big XL truck based 'utes). Of course these days a three child family is a significant minority of families. I just wanted to let you know that against all our hopes and wishes, my wife and I quickly came to the same conclusion that you did. We like the Acadia, but for family hauling, nothing can come close to touching the mini-van.

·
Registered
70 Posts
2006 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 47347 - EQUIPMENT:OTHER:OWNERS/SERVICE/OTHER MAN
Recall Date: July 26, 2006
Units Affected: 1190000

2005 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 2555 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREA
Recall Date: April 05, 2005
Units Affected: 1923

2004 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 55112 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Recall Date: April 15, 2004
Units Affected: 1099796

2003 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 58447 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

2002 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 55113 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

2000 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 63286 - INTERIOR LIGHTING
Recall Date: July 06, 2000
Units Affected: 78910

1999 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 65095 - INTERIOR LIGHTING
Recall Date: July 06, 2000
Units Affected: 78910

1998 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 34427 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Recall Date: May 16, 2002
Units Affected: 1000000

1997 Honda Odyssey Recalls
Recall ID# 34426 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Recall Date: May 16, 2002
Units Affected: 1000000

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shall I list the recalls for my 98 Accord? It too had the ignition switch recall and I lived to tell about it. Recalls happen. To nearly every vehicle. Some choose to call it a "suggestion" or something to that effect to not be labeled a recall. 2004 and earlier are noted for their troubling transmissions. I know this. That is why we didn't buy one of those. Though, I have several friends who are driving those. Plus, how many of those are listed for an 07? None? My sister had hers in for two days for them to figure out why the "vehicle stability Track" (VST) light was coming on. They fixed it while giving her a rental acadia to drive. That unfortunately sealed the deal.

I so appreciate your thoughts on the process. If our family demographics were a little different, including the extended family we are with a lot, then maybe it would have been a different decision. I promise, I will still drool over the Acadia and all Lambda's when I see one. Just like I drool over an XC90 or a BMW 540i. But, I know those aren't the right car for me right now. I know I may as well stamp loser across my forehead but I can pickup being cool again in a few years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No I understand - I just hate to see the middleclass get smaller and your kids having a hard time finding a good job.

We are going to be the first generation to leave this country worse off than we got it!

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/

·
Registered
284 Posts
don willems said:
No I understand - I just hate to see the middleclass get smaller and your kids having a hard time finding a good job.

We are going to be the first generation to leave this country worse off than we got it!

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/
What the hell is going on here...after the start of a "Still love the Lambdas, but bought an Odyssey discussion"? :confused:

Rather than post recalls and other stories, spend some time elsewhere. People buy what they like and what fits their needs, which was clearly the case here.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kinda what I thought. It got ugly on the Enclave forum. I was just telling my forum friends about how it all worked out for me and then it turned all "Trollie".

I am not the first one to decide the Acadia is not right for them. This response has been too weird.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.