GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....

It's time to get rid of our Honda Odyssey, and after test driving dozens of SUVs and mid-size SUVs, we like the 2009 Acadia best.

But before buying it, I wanted to check the ratings and reviews, and am shocked at all the problems with the 2008! (Camshaft, Transmission, Leaks, Electrical, Poor Gas Milage).

So, now I am really afraid to buy one of these!

We really like the Acadia, but the nearest dealer is 30 mils away, and there is no way we can have it in for service on a regular basis.

Is there any reason to believe that the 2009s don't have these problems?

All advice appreciated....

·
Registered
60 Posts
mdva said:
Hello All....
It's time to get rid of our Honda Odyssey, and after test driving dozens of SUVs and mid-size SUVs, we like the 2009 Acadia best.
But before buying it, I wanted to check the ratings and reviews, and am shocked at all the problems with the 2008! (Camshaft, Transmission, Leaks, Electrical, Poor Gas Milage).
We really like the Acadia, but the nearest dealer is 30 mils away, and there is no way we can have it in for service on a regular basis.

The Acadia is my 4th GMC SUV and I have to say it is very nice. I have leased 2-Yukon's, 1-Envoy and now a 2008 Acadia. I really like to drive-train and crossover frame it rides on, etc.

To that end, this is a work related vehicle provided by my employer so it is easy for me to be satisfied. However, last year I purchased a used 2006 Volvo XC90 and it blows away the Acadia. Without going into a winded dialog about the Volvo, it just simply has a look, feel and reliability of a typical Volvo. The reason why I am comparing the two is because you can purchase a Volvo XC90 for the same exact price as an Acadia. They are surprisingly affordable in the high 30' to low-to-mid 40's and I simply feel you get a tremendous bang for your buck. The only knock on the XC90 is it is not gas friendly, but neither is the Acadia. The best fuel economy I have received is slightly over 19mpg. And the XC90 is not a flashy and spunky as the Acadia. It definitely does not accelerate as fast as the Acadia, but does have some b*lls if you drive it the right way.

Anyhow, that is my take. If your heart is set on an Acadia you will not go wrong and enjoy it for many years, but if you are a bit apprehensive try looking into other SUV or CUV's out there. Acura's MDX is also pretty sweet and almost purchased that instead of the XC90.

My two cents and good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up my 2008 SLT-1 about a month ago after starting my research last December. I chose the Acadia as my 5th GMC in a row after reading Edmunds and several other car magazine reviews on 2007 & 2008 models and then comparing Acadia's features against like-sized competitors. I waited this long to buy because I wasn't desperate (my Safari is still running fine) and I wanted a good financing deal that wasn't offered until July.

Since purchasing my Acadia, I've seen 2 new independent reviews putting Acadia at the top of all other manufacturers' crossover/SUV models in its class. You may be obsessing over a small total number of problems vs. the many Acadias sold because this is the one place owners come w/ any problems. I'm sure many of us who are happy don't just write in to say "I'm happy!".

If you're still hesitant, buy it with GMC's full coverage zero-deductible 5 yr./60k mile (or more) extended warranty and you'll never be out-of-pocket anything. My dealer sold it w/ mine for $100 over dealer cost ($620 total) and I sleep very well, as I do this w/ every new vehicle purchased. One or two small repairs pays for it, as does the 'loaner' when needed.

I'm loving my new Acadia! Good luck with your own decision.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have owned my Acadia for 18 months with zero problems. Mileage depends on how you drive and the type driving you do. City mileage is not great, and highway mileage is decent. If you go to the Honda Ody forum you will see many problems there also. It's the nature of these forums. The forums can make it look like the problems are the majority when it's really a minority of owners. Cars are complicated machinery and a few will develop problems.

If you need a large vehicle the Acadia deserves a look, but if a large car is not necessary, I would buy smaller.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The cam shaft issue was few and far between (Thank God) and is now solved. Also the fix was relatively non-evasive.

The transmission issue (trying to get better mpg by lagging between gears) was a re-flash issue and the solution was simple. Plug in the computer and re-flash the transmission computer. I have driven the 09’s and it is much less noticeable.

The 09’s have direct injection fuel system and has 13 more hpr. and gets slightly better mpg.

The sunroof leak issue has been identified and addressed and there too the fix was simple and non-evasive.

Your talking to someone who drives about 20 or 30 differnt Lambda's a day.

Thank You for considering us.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
We migrated from a relatively trouble-free 2002 Odyssey (though we did have a complete transmission failure at 65K miles) to an Acadia and have have absolutely no regrets. We've put about 15K miles on it in the year we've had it with not a single problem (well, XM does sometimes reset to Channel 1 every once in awhile). Don't base a vehicle's reliability on what you read in online forums, as these are places people generally come to complain about something. The vast majority of Acadia owners have likely not had any problems with their vehicle.

We average 19-20 mpg with our Acadia (18-19 city, 22-24 highway), have a sunroof that does not leak, have not had any camshaft issues, no electrical problems (save for the XM thing), and are considering getting the latest transmission programming update (no mechanical problems at all).

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know what year your Honda is but, I do know that the Odyssey had way more problems from 2003-2005 than any GM vehicle of the same years and definently more problems than the Acadia. When you see problems listed on vehilces you have to remember it is the sum of all the vehicles sold and not every vehicle has those problems. BTW, our 09 is supposed to be here this week and I can't wait to get it. I wouldn't hesitate for one minute on buying this well built American vehicle.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have had my 08 since December of 07 and not had any real problems out of it. I bought the SLE base model with just a few upgrades so that I had less things to give me trouble. We love the Acadia and definantly do not regret our purchase.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i agree with everything that was posted here. forums were created primarily to share knowledge, the unfortunate thing is that the most shared is "how to fix" problems. but if you look at this "glass half full" instead of "glass half empty", owners should be happy because problems are being addressed or fixed. if you are afraid because of the volume of problems reported, i'd say its true for most forums, specially "hardware" forums.

oh yeah, our acadia is 4 months old with 8,600 km on it (we just did a 5,500 km roadtrip). no regrets whatsoever. :blob:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
mdva said:
Hello All....

I don't know where you are getting your information about the # of problems the Acadia is having, but I think it is wrong. Consumer reports gives the Acadia a recommended buy and good scores on reliability. It actually has better reliability scores than the Toyota Camry V6. Of course, the Camry is still a great car. It's just that all cars have failures and when you have a forum like this, the failures get amplified. The bottom line is that the Acadia is a very good car.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else so far.
I have had mine since Oct 07, Had the leaky sunroof and it was fixed first time in for repair, trailering wiring repaired, and seat track repaired (they were known problems that were taken care of by the dealership service department)
I have 12500 miles on mine now and love everything about. My parents also own one, and they are enjoying theirs too.

GM products only for this family, and have been very satisfied with all of them. :beer:

Pickup an Acadia now great offers on the 2008. ;D If you want the few extra changes in the 2009 order up :thumb:

Also update your information to include your location that you live near, so that we can offer assistance and suggestions for dealers near you.
and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Acadia. I did a lot of looking around and had a lot of people try to steer me towards other vehicles. My Father in law is a big Dodge fan, but I didnt like the looks of the Journey at all and even though I like the looks of the Durango, I didnt need or want something quite that big and the gas mileage is worse than the Acadia. I love the way the Acadia looks and I just haven't seen anything else that has the roominess inside, without going to a much larger vehicle. If money wasn't an issue I probably would have gone for a BMW or Mercedes. However, I already paid almost $40k for the fully equipped Acadia and didn't want to spend any more than that.

And by the way, the car I bought sat outside on the lot in Washington state (think rain) for about 9 months and I can't see any signs of the sunroof leaking.

I think you are taking a risk anytime you buy a vehicle, but I don't think you will go wrong with the 2009 Acadia.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Once again, you are being sucked into believing there are MANY problems with this vehicle, due to the propensity of people to only post on a forum when they have a "problem" and need help getting it fixed. As others have pointed out, Consumer Reports lists the Acadia as a "Recommended" based on reliability and we all know how biased they can be AGAINST domestic automobiles. I would consider a "recommended" reliability rating from CR on an American car to be indicative of it being **** near PERFECT. Our observations.....combined 20,000 + miles and 11 months of ownership with TWO lambdas (2008 Enclave, 2008 Acadia) and ZERO problems or defects. BUY THE ACADIA! You will be glad you did! You CAN pull away from the Honda propoganda.....yes you can....just put your mind to it and do it! :cheers: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
ccaats said:
You CAN pull away from the Honda propoganda.....yes you can....just put your mind to it and do it! :cheers: :thumb:
:rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hear that argument in every forum, so the real data is the important part.

I have mine on order (should have been built this week), so I am all in at this point, but the Acadia did get a 6.0 in reliability (although strangely enough, the Enclave, almost the same car, got 9.0)!

Crap, I can't remember where I saw those number now, though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
cnr1089 said:
I hear that argument in every forum, so the real data is the important part.

I have mine on order (should have been built this week), so I am all in at this point, but the Acadia did get a 6.0 in reliability (although strangely enough, the Enclave, almost the same car, got 9.0)!

Crap, I can't remember where I saw those number now, though.
Here is the link.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-SUVs/

I've owned nothing but Hondas since 1990 and the '09 Acadia was my choice over the '09 Pilot (or anything else we drove for that matter).

As I said in a previous similar discussion - It is time I thought about this country for a change and buy American. So far I'm glad I did. :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, for my family it came down to size. Not many cars could match it with the gas mileage (without looking like a minivan, which is a big no-no). I really tried to like the Honda Pilot (because I like my Honda Accord), but the boxiness, the dashboard, and the fact that our big stroller barely fit in the back (it fit, but when you opened the hatch, it falls out, fits great in the Acadia), we went with the Acadia..

BTW, when my wife was pregnant with our daughter, we were driving around and saw the acadia (this was 2 years ago) on a lot. We stopped in and she was so happy to be able to sit in the 3rd row, while 8 months pregnant, that her mind was set on it from that day...

The only question mark is, how much is it going to cost me in 3 years or more.

I am diving in, I'll let you guys know then:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Same as many posting here, have had our Acadia for 18 months, almost 30K miles, and absolutely no regrets. Better gas mileage than our Audi Allroad. And it had many recalls, a 45 MPH shimmy that never could be eliminated.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mdva said:
Hello All....
tire rotation every 10,000. Our Acadia has had no warranty work other than 2 transmission flashes in past 10 months. You will have to decide after reading all the good comments on all the msg boards on this site. Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well said........er....quoted. ;D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.