GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am looking into getting a 17ft hybrid travel trailer and have a hitch question.

I have hauled horses for years and with most bumper pulls we had the WD/sway combo.  That was my first thought with the Acadia but as I look into it I've read on a couple different sites that WD hitches can damage unibody veh frames.  I don't know the specifics but it's something about when the weight is transferred to the front axle it can damage the frame.  With the horses we always towed w/trucks so this wasn't an issue and I'd never had any reason to consider the effects on a unibody construction vehicle.  Has anyone heard this?  I have already emailed GMC through their website but it's Sunday so I'm curious if anyone has any information.  Oh and I do have the tow package. :help:

Thanks

Tami

·
Registered
395 Posts
The book says, "If you’re using a weight-carrying hitch or a weight-distributing hitch...", so they must allow it.

My old Windstar (also unibody) required a WD hitch over a certain weight, though my boat dealer says it isn't much of an issue with a dual axle boat trailer. I think it becomes more of an issue with campers and single axles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts