GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading letters from other members about leaking water inside, I passed that information to the Tech at our dealer, Jeff D'ambrosio GMC in Oxford, Pa. The water was coming from the sunroof drain tubes that were not connected at the rear glass on the sunroof. The water was running down the headliner, down the "A" piller to the front carpet on the left and right sides, and down the "B" piller on the right side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder if the drain tubes are really the issue, or if there is more than one cause for the water leaks.

tmckinn :: [url said:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109212]We[/url] FOUND the source of the leak. 2nd time at the dealership is a charm! I told the dealer I wasn't going to pick up the car until they found it. I suggested to them to drop the headliner. They said they had to call Saturn first to get the approval - kind of sounds like an HMO - ha. Two days later, they got the approval. They found the leak 30 seconds after dropping the headliner. A steady drip, drip, drip was coming from between two roof panels.

A WELDING SEAM WAS NOT SEALED CORRECTLY AT THE FACTORY. The mechanic squirted 4 cents worth of caulking in the gap - and it appears to have been fixed (2 weeks of rainy Seattle weather so far). I was happy we found the "smoking gun". According to the dealer, my headliner isn't damaged and it will never ever ever get mold (I'm sure it will start stinking the day after the warranty expires).
I had a similar issue with my Saturn SC2 where the trunk would always leak due to improper welds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Three times, three frickin' times I've had my 2007 Acadia SLT-1 in the shop to fix major water leaks since the purchase in June 2007. Once was bad enough. Three times? This is beyond inexcusable for a 36 thousand dollar vehicle. 20 years elapsed between my last 2 GM product purchases (1987 Grand Am - 2007 Acadia). I really like the looks of the new Cadillac CTS, yet I think I've learned my lesson for good now. Should have bought a Pilot for the wife, and will likely go for Acura TL in a year or so.

I am still not even confident that the leaks are fixed, and I imagine future problems will arise with the headliner now that is has been ripped out three times for so called repairs. One more leak and I will be researching the TX lemon law. It's a crying shame too, for I otherwise like the vehicle, but I may as well be driving a convertible with the top down in the rain!

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are all the water leaks on vehickles with the sun roof? I haven't seen a sun roof yet that didn't have some kind of leak. I do not have the sun roof and I do not have the leaks.

·
Registered
956 Posts
JasonM said:
Are all the water leaks on vehickles with the sun roof? I haven't seen a sun roof yet that didn't have some kind of leak. I do not have the sun roof and I do not have the leaks.
No sunroof and no leaks. I have about 14,000 miles now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Acadia has 5,000 miles, leaked water for weeks (only when parked) into drivers left foot area - took it in to dealer - told him to look at the sunroof drainage tube - Dealer said that the sun roof leak tube wasn't long enough.

·
Registered
542 Posts
10,000 miles in soggy Seattle. Have sunroofs. Not a drop of water anywhere. Mine was built in May 2007. Maybe earlier ones are leaking?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Outlook owner who had two seperate leaks. 1st was sunroof tube, leaked into headliner, down seatbelt tube, and down to the emergency brake compartment making the DIC go nuts, was fixed. Two weeks later had another leak in the same place; it was the luggage rack screws. The rubber fitting between the rack and roof does not sit well over the grooves in the roof alowing water to get to the screws. They went through and sealed all the luggage rack screws. A couple of rains, snow and 4 car washings later no more leaks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2007 SLT2 with 12K miles and yesterday the passenger noticed the headliner was wet about mid door. It was actually saturated. I took it to the dealer this morning and he said that it was most likely the drain tube for the sun roof and that it appears to be a common problem on those that have the dual sun roof setup. I had figured that it was something with a drain as it has been in much heavier rains without a drop. Leaks like those in welds or poorly fitted seals tend to leak from the beginning. This leak was abrupt in its beginning and fairly heavy for the amount. I get it back this evening and I hope thats the only issue. The dealership said that they will pull back the carpet and if it is wet there, will replace the padding and also the headliner.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here is another problem to look for, I posted this on another site today.

Here is an update: We had rain and snow here this weekend and I had leaking again. Took it to the dealer and the problem this time was leaves had gotten into the sunroof track and worked their way back to the drain and clogged it up. This is not covered under warranty, so.... now we have to watch for leaves sneaking in and gumming up the works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 Acadia is in the shop now, I believe the sunroof tubes will be the issue with mine as well. The water is puddling directly under the emergency brake pedal.

We'll test the dealer to see if they did their homework....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts