GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed a water leak around the emergency brake. Need to see if others have this same problem, what is the cause and if it is fixable?

·
Registered
624 Posts
See below TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and do a search for threads on "water leak" or "leak". Unfortunately, you will find several threads on this. I have copied the TSB bulletin below. Apparently, your leak is from the front A-pillar, so the issue is probably with your front sunroof drain. Strangely, my dealer said that he has had no customers come in for the sunroof leaking issue. Sorry you are having the problem and good luck getting it fixed.

#07-08-57-002E: Water Dripping from A-Pillars or Rear Dome/Reading Lamp (Apply Sealer/Lengthen Drain) - (Jun 6, 2008)

Subject: Water Dripping from "A" Pillars or Rear Dome/Reading Lamp (Apply Sealer/Lengthen Drain)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
with 2-Panel Sunroof (Power Tilt/Sliding Front Panel, Fixed Rear Panel with Power Sunscreen) (RPO C3U)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to add additional repair information and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-57-002D (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on water dripping/leaking from the rear dome/reading lamp (located just rearward of the fixed glass) or from either " A" pillars.

Cause
The above conditions may be caused by any of the following:

The stationary glass roof drains may allow too much water for the drain system and thus overflows onto the headliner and into the vehicle.
Heat from the roof may cause the right or left middle sunroof drain tubes to shrink and come off at its attaching point on the module.
A drain hose may not be fully seated.
A drain hose may be improperly routed.
There may be a void in the sealer under the roof ditch molding.
The end of one of the front drains may be plugged with grease from the sunroof or debris may be caught in the cross hatch at the end of the drain tubes.
Correction
For Acadia/Outlook Built Prior to VIN 37J153734, Enclave built prior to VIN8J102237 complete Corrections 1 through 4 using the procedures found below.

For Vehicles Acadia/Outlook/Enclave built prior to VIN 08J166747, complete Corrections 2 through 4 using the procedures found below.

Plug stationary sunroof drain holes.
Add sunroof drain hose extensions.
Check all drain hose connections.
Check the drain hose routing between the "B" and "C" pillar for correct routing.
Check the roof ditch molding for water leak.
Check for plugged sunroof drains drains.
For Vehicles Built After the Above VINs:

Normal water test and diagnosis should be done for water leaks 5 and 6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
take it to the dealer, I did mines like a month ago, the leak was in the same spot that you are describing, it took the 3 days but it was because they didnt had the part ( drain tube) so I had to wait, but it should be a one day thing. :beer:

·
Registered
635 Posts
cangryman said:
take it to the dealer, I did mines like a month ago, the leak was in the same spot that you are describing, it took the 3 days but it was because they didnt had the part ( drain tube) so I had to wait, but it should be a one day thing. :beer:
Do a search for the words water, leak, sunroof. You will find this is not new!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It would also be beneficial if when stating a problem to identify the year, model, and options (in this case sunroof) when posting. Most members post their vehicle data in their signature, which is then attached to each post you make.

If your Acadia doesn't have a sunroof, there is another problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wanted to add my .02 cents. We just dropped off our 2008 Acadia SLT loaded with everything. Very big problem in that water leaks out fromt he air bags, seatbelts , and top of winshield all over our leather seats, floor, speakers and anything else. It is not just a drip it actually pores out the seatbelts holders. The third row seats are rusting and I ahave a water mark on the head liner already. Oh by the way we bought the Truck In october of 07'. I see this water problem as a very big deal liek I said it pours out all over the truck. Plus we traded in a CTS for the acadia cause we had a baby girl. i don't want my daughter in a vehicle that could have mold or mildue int he truck and her breathing it. Plus we are in New Jersey the air here is just great to begin with!!! Love the Acadia but really not happy losing money on this vehicle. I know down the raod I will be getting the seats replaced, speaker problems, airbags, something will go wrong cause of this water problem... Please help can i contact GM or should I get a laywer involved

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
mgoblue2 - That sucks!! I would think that GM would just replace your car for you with another one. If not, you may very well need to get an attorney. Sorry about you car. :(

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd say at some point a replacement is in order. Similar interior water damage is a major reason why relatively new/expensive vehicles get totaled for flood damage. The mechanical stuff can be easily replaced, but the water damage can remain hidden and cause the problems you mentioned. To get that kind of water flow, none of your sunroof drains must be connected.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I was just having this conversation with my boyfriend the other day about how thankful I am that I didn't get an SLT with sunroofs (which is what I had originally wanted, but in the end couldn't really justify the expense).

When the water leak is that severe, the dealership should not even hesitate at replacing the entire vehicle. Mold will result from the water damage, that's a given. Whether it will actually be visible to you or not is a different story.

Hopefully you won't have to involve an attorney, but I would definitely start at your dealership or contact GM about replacing that vehicle ASAP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to add an update. Dealer has fixed the roof leak ( said none of my drains were hook up or clogged). The headliner still has water stains, the front and rear seats are rusting at the bottoms. Dealer is ordering new 3rd row and new headliner. We now discovered that the front seats are rusting on the bottom. Also to top off when we pick up the truck it had a scratch in the door. Well they re painted the door and fixed that just that the paint doesn't match. Please help have no idea what to do, I am losing more money than ever and it's GM and the dealers fault. What can I do. At this point I will only be a satisfied customer if they just replace my vehicle with the new one. Is that even going to happen. If it does they keep a GM guy for the last 31 years, if not I will be gone for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I have a ton of water damage in my 2008 Acadia. All my doors, windows, even under the dashboard have water in coming. I also have water coming from my side curtain air bags, doom lights, and rear senser lights have water coming from them. I love my car but I'm scared that something is going to short out while I'm driving with all the water that is coming in my car. I have had it to the dealer once and they said they fixed it but it has only gotten worse. I noticed today that I have water now coming into the car from my windshield.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CareBear said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I have a ton of water damage in my 2008 Acadia. All my doors, windows, even under the dashboard have water in coming. I also have water coming from my side curtain air bags, doom lights, and rear senser lights have water coming from them. I love my car but I'm scared that something is going to short out while I'm driving with all the water that is coming in my car. I have had it to the dealer once and they said they fixed it but it has only gotten worse. I noticed today that I have water now coming into the car from my windshield.
If your problem is as bad as you say it is, and if it were me, I would go to the dealer you bought it from, demand to talk to the manager of the dealership (not the service manager), show him or her the damage and your receipt stating they "repaired it", and demand a new vehicle. If they don't comply, tell them that you will be getting with an attorney relating to lemon laws and water damaged vehicles and your attorney will get back with them. If the water damage is as bad as you say it is, I would tell them the vehicle is unsafe to drive and be firm, polite, and clear in what you want them to do to solve the problem to your satisfaction. After all, you did spend alot of your hard earned money at their dealership and they sold you a vehicle that had a major defect. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
624 Posts
With all the "major damage" being talked about due to these leaks, it would be nice to see some pictures/evidence. Either of the vehicle with the water pouring out of the different areas and/or the stained headliners, rusted seats etc. There are GM engineers on this forum. It just might help your case.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Web Raven said:
I was just having this conversation with my boyfriend the other day about how thankful I am that I didn't get an SLT with sunroofs (which is what I had originally wanted, but in the end couldn't really justify the expense).

When the water leak is that severe, the dealership should not even hesitate at replacing the entire vehicle. Mold will result from the water damage, that's a given. Whether it will actually be visible to you or not is a different story.

Hopefully you won't have to involve an attorney, but I would definitely start at your dealership or contact GM about replacing that vehicle ASAP.
I agree with you and feel sorry for those that have so many water leak problems. A GM human error quality issue for over a year!! There must be unhappy workers at this plant or car was built on a Monday or Friday. WOW! you are a "FREAK" and I'm stiving to be a, "HERO" ........someday!!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
CareBear said:
...I also have water coming from my side curtain air bags, doom[/color] lights...
Wow, that can't be a good sign if you have those. Have they ever illuminated? :p

Can all this water flow be attributed to the dual sunroofs? I know water, like electricity, will follow the path of least resistance (heck, I do it also). It seems unusual that you are getting leaks from so many different places.

As posted by ccaats, owners should document this damage when it happens via digital photos. We had to do this with a roof leak (kind of same thing) on our house's porch, since when the rep came by it was never raining.

WOW! you are a "FREAK" and I'm striving to be a, "HERO" ........someday!!
HEY- that is Queen Freak :notworthy: to all of us unwashed masses. ;)
Me too. ETA is under 10 minutes. For your own safety, the Government suggests you stay out of the way and secure any loose objects that may be in your immediate area. ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another update to the water leak. GM just offered us a GM buy back. They will trade MSRP for MSRP for another vehicle. Now the problem seems to be msrp difference of about 2,500 for the same vehicle. Had a 2008 slt awd with sunroof, nav, trailer, hud, rear entertainment. New one will be a 2009 with all the options listed. But we have to make up the difference. Still trying to figure things out. Anybody else get a buy back? How did it work? I may be misunderstanding all this right now. Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Take it and run. Go 2009, your resale will make up the difference. But, you would expect them to make up the difference just for the inconvenience cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts