GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how water enters the fuse box in a 2008 GMC Acadia
I had some electrical problems before I found the water

1.Car would not start, it acted like there was no starter connected but wait a few minutes and it would start like its flooded, running rough then smooth out
2.On occasion the Car would spit and sputter like it was going to die, turn it off and restart it would run fine
3.The door locks would quit working, sometimes the drivers door then the other 3 doors and then they would start working again
4.The head lights would go dim and sometimes go out at night while driving
5.The dash service brake light comes on and says skid is turned off but goes away when the car is restarted
6.on occasions the battery would be drained but nothing was left on, had the battery checked twice and there is no problems.
7.The temperature gauge sometimes will be bouncing around 260 which makes the cooling fans stay on when the vehicle is off but checked coolant and had it flushed but comes back
8.When I try to turn the vehicle off the car does not turn off, I can put it in gear and take off with out the key in it.
9.passenger side rug wet

Right now the only problem I have is the drivers front door lock does not work ,the button will control the other doors but not the drivers door.
These problems show up occasionally but don't stick around, the last 2 weeks Ive seen almost all the problems

Im an electrician by trade and so I figured this all had to be a problem in the electrical system so I checked the fuse box under the glove box and while I was playing with the fuses water was dripping on my hand upon closer examination I found blue corrosion on the plugs in the top and the relays, so I took the fuse panel out I found it was full of water and the two boards inside were blue from corrosion.
I cleaned everything with a copper brush and contact cleaner I also put non oxide lubricant on all the connections, I thought this would take care of the problems but it didn't I think the damage is already done.

I did a little research and found there might be a problem with the sunroof drains or a seam in the air dam so I found the drains were plugged and I uplugged them and I sealed the firewall.

I believe the water came from the drains because one is directly above the fuse box but Im not sure.

Does anybody have an Idea?

I currently have my Acadia at the dealership, its been there for two days and they cant find a problem.I bought this car used and don't have a warranty, I cant afford to pay for the repairs but I cant go with out a car for my wife.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
The front sunroof drains and the cowl seam are the two likely culprits, which it looks like you have taken care of. You may need to replace the fuse box. Here's a service document that may be helpful:

#08-08-57-003C: Floor Wet Under Carpet/Engine Continues to Run with Key Off/Possible No Crank/No Start/Communication Loss/Various Electrical Concerns (Seal Seam) - (Jul 15, 2011)

Subject: Floor Wet Under Carpet/Engine Continues to Run with Key Off/Possible No Crank/No Start/Communication Loss/Various Electrical Concerns (Seal Seam)

Models: 2008-2012 Buick Enclave
2007-2012 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
This bulletin is being revised to add model years and update the Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-57-003B (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on any, or a combination of, the following conditions:

Evidence of a water leak at the right side A-pillar and/or the right front floor is wet under the carpet.
Various electrical concerns such as: Engine Continues to Run with Key Off/Possible No Crank/No Start/Communication Loss/Various Electrical Concerns, which may be a result of a water leak on the IP BEC.
Other electrical related conditions that may be communication issues between certain electrical modules due to water dripping on the IP BEC (Bus Electrical Center).
Cause



Water from the right front sunroof drain hose exits the vehicle through the plenum (upper arrow) and may re-enter through the un-sealed seam at the front of the dash. Refer to lower arrow in the illustration.

In more current models years, sunroof drain hose and windshield related issues have sometimes been found to be a source of a water leak in the A-pillar area. This water can also sometimes leak on the IP BEC and/or onto the floor area.

Correction
For Model Years 2007-2008
Important: Inspect the front drain hoses to ensure that they are free of clogs or kinks, and that water is properly flowing through the hoses.



1. Remove the windshield wipers and cowl screen where sealing repair is to be done.
Important: Inspect the IP BEC for wetness and/or any green colored corrosion.
Important: During water testing, do not point the nozzle/hose upward on the cowl area as this is likely to force water entry where a leak may not even be existent.
2. In order to verify the waterleak, run a small amount of water into the square hole inside the cowl while looking at the IP BEC.
3. Allow the water to dry and proceed to step 4.



4. Seal the seam INSIDE the opening at the bottom and to the right and left of the arrows in the illustration. Seal the full length of the dotted line. Seal the seam with P/N 12378500 (in Canada, use 10952233) Medium Body Seam Sealing Compound or equivalent.
For Model Years 2009-2012
Inspect the right side A-pillar/windshield area and water test for any leaks.
Inspect the front drain hoses to ensure that they are free of clogs or kinks, and that water is properly flowing through the hoses.
Inspect the IP BEC for wetness and/or any green colored corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did do that, I believe your post was the one I was referencing when I was doing the work.
Thanks for the help, your post was very informative and easy to understand
I will call the dealership again today to see if they are done, Ill tell them about the service document.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
ejwright said:
I did do that, I believe your post was the one I was referencing when I was doing the work.
Thanks for the help, your post was very informative and easy to understand
I will call the dealership again today to see if they are done, Ill tell them about the service document.
Can you fix your first post to read "2008 Acadia" not "1998 Acadia"? Thanks. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
09Enclave said:
Can you fix your first post to read "2008 Acadia" not "1998 Acadia"? Thanks. ;)
Seriously? "I tell you what, you aren't going to make many friends on this board acting like this. Are you kidding me?" :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Just to be sure, this is up until the 2012 model year? I haven't really seen anybody complain about this issue after the 2008s. This is making me s little nervous though. Or is it an "if you haven't had this issue yet, you never will" kind of thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
snorander said:
Seriously? "I tell you what, you aren't going to make many friends on this board acting like this. Are you kidding me?" :shrug:
??? ??? ??? It was a friendly request to correct his pretty obvious typo. :-\ I don't know how more politely I could have written it. (that's why I used the wink smiley) It's getting to be so touchy around here, I just don't get what this is all about. I've been a part of this and the other Lambda forums for going on 5 years now, and within the last...oh, half a year or so....it seems like I can never point out a mistake about anything without getting jumped on. Everybody makes mistakes, and I was trying to correct the original post by asking the poster to fix it, since I can't. I really don't think it was out of line at all, sorry. Guess I can't ever correct someone again, so a model year of 10 years off should stay on there because "we can't offend anyone" by pointing it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
09Enclave said:
??? ??? ??? It was a friendly request to correct his pretty obvious typo. :-\ I don't know how more politely I could have written it. (that's why I used the wink smiley) It's getting to be so touchy around here, I just don't get what this is all about. I've been a part of this and the other Lambda forums for going on 5 years now, and within the last...oh, half a year or so....it seems like I can never point out a mistake about anything without getting jumped on. Everybody makes mistakes, and I was trying to correct the original post by asking the poster to fix it, since I can't. I really don't think it was out of line at all, sorry. Guess I can't ever correct someone again, so a model year of 10 years off should stay on there because "we can't offend anyone" by pointing it out.
I see nothing wrong with your post asking them to correct the year, if you hadn't done it I was going to post it. You can't please everyone so don't worry about it. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
MA Acadia said:
I see nothing wrong with your post asking them to correct the year, if you hadn't done it I was going to post it. You can't please everyone so don't worry about it. :cheers:
:thumb: Thanks, I appreciate the support. Totally get the "can't please everyone" thing, but yet I keep trying. ::) It's obviously a losing battle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
09Enclave said:
??? ??? ??? It was a friendly request to correct his pretty obvious typo. :-\ I don't know how more politely I could have written it. (that's why I used the wink smiley) It's getting to be so touchy around here, I just don't get what this is all about. I've been a part of this and the other Lambda forums for going on 5 years now, and within the last...oh, half a year or so....it seems like I can never point out a mistake about anything without getting jumped on. Everybody makes mistakes, and I was trying to correct the original post by asking the poster to fix it, since I can't. I really don't think it was out of line at all, sorry. Guess I can't ever correct someone again, so a model year of 10 years off should stay on there because "we can't offend anyone" by pointing it out.
The part in quotes was your reply to a post of mine a while back. I'm not touchy, but alot of your posts that I have read you come across as a real d.b. Just calling it like I see it. ;)

"it seems like I can never point out a mistake about anything without getting jumped on" Well there you go stop pointing out everyones mistakes, I swear you can't put up a post without correcting someone or complaining about what they posted, or mentioning how long you have been on this forum.

one example: http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=12116.0

"we can't offend anyone" funny you post that your sure got offended when I called my Acadia a piece of "crap" LOL

My momma told me to never argue with an idiot, as they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. So that is the last you will hear of it from me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,618 Posts
ejwright said:
I did do that, I believe your post was the one I was referencing when I was doing the work.
Thanks for the help, your post was very informative and easy to understand
I will call the dealership again today to see if they are done, Ill tell them about the service document.
Hey ejwright,
If you want me to call the dealership on your behalf, just private message me and I'll get right on it! We all want to get you back on the road ASAP.
Kelly J. -GMC Customer Care
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my Acadia back today.
They seen were there was water on the floor and in the fuse box.
They sprayed water on it to see if there were anymore leaks but there was none.
I guess the fixes worked.
The door problem was my fault, after I cleaned the fuse box, fuses and relays I put a relay in the wrong slot.
They couldn't find any more problems, they told me to bring it back in when it acts up again.
I cant wait. :banghead:
They charged me $86.00, I guess thats not bad for not really fixing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
snorander said:
The part in quotes was your reply to a post of mine a while back. I'm not touchy, but alot of your posts that I have read you come across as a real d.b. Just calling it like I see it. ;)

"it seems like I can never point out a mistake about anything without getting jumped on" Well there you go stop pointing out everyones mistakes, I swear you can't put up a post without correcting someone or complaining about what they posted, or mentioning how long you have been on this forum.

one example: http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=12116.0

"we can't offend anyone" funny you post that your sure got offended when I called my Acadia a piece of "crap" LOL

My momma told me to never argue with an idiot, as they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. So that is the last you will hear of it from me
This is why it's hard to express my tone in words. That link you posted, I was really feeling bad for that person, as did I for your issues. (I hear 2008, sunroof, etc....and I brace myself for what's to come, and I truly feel for the people going thru all this crap). I very well will be going thru this in due time, just that my mileage is not there yet.

As for the correcting thing....sorry, but I'm a detail person and when there's clearly a wrong statement, I try and get the facts out soon, so other people coming on here don't get false information. It's not at all about having to BE right, it's more about wanting the forum to be the most accurate place for people to find information.

As for the amount of time spent on the forum, I find that valid because I (and many others who have been on here as long OR longer) will quickly be able to answer a question, or steer someone in the right direction. For some reason, people seem to take offense of my "experience", but yet if you would go to a repair shop, or doctor....wouldn't you want at least an opinion from someone who's been around?

This probably sounds bad in print, and probably sounds like I'm trying to pump myself up....just not the case. I want everyone to be happy, would want everyone to have good experiences with their vehicles, and if I can help in any way I try my best....even if it's hard to hear "bad stuff" sometimes it's needed to educate so that someone will have as little pain in ownership as possible.

I choose my words very carefully (really, really try to) and most times read back my messages several times before posting. I apologize if any of this message, or past messages were too blunt....I can only sugar coat things so much, before it sounds odd.

I truly wish you the best in your next vehicle(s), :cheers:...and wish your Acadia ownership would have been better. In fact, if anything....I kind of feel guilty because I have not been down this repair road yet with my Enclave. The only "experience" I have is hearing from other's stories.

Well, I hope that reads back correctly, because I'm telling you...it's sincere, saying it the best way I know how. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I understand. Thank you, and I wish my Acadia experience had been better too! Even with all the problems it had, I still loved it..... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi. New to the Forum. GM boy. Father, Uncles, Brothers, Cousins, Friends all used to work for Buick, Chevrolet, Fisher Body, or AC Spark Plug in Flint. 2009 Acadia SLT. Nicest car I have ever owned. A beauty. 48,000 miles with no problems at all. Three months ago it would not shut off. Found internet chat that indicated that drainage from the sunroof might cause this. Took it to dealer. They replaced a sensor. Has been fine. Two nights ago, car refused to shut off, even with the key removed. Took it to dealer. Water drainage in fuse box has everything corroded, and must be replaced. $1900. Any hope/help?

Thanks for your input.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
Glenn Carpenter said:
Hi. New to the Forum. GM boy. Father, Uncles, Brothers, Cousins, Friends all used to work for Buick, Chevrolet, Fisher Body, or AC Spark Plug in Flint. 2009 Acadia SLT. Nicest car I have ever owned. A beauty. 48,000 miles with no problems at all. Three months ago it would not shut off. Found internet chat that indicated that drainage from the sunroof might cause this. Took it to dealer. They replaced a sensor. Has been fine. Two nights ago, car refused to shut off, even with the key removed. Took it to dealer. Water drainage in fuse box has everything corroded, and must be replaced. $1900. Any hope/help?

Thanks for your input.
I think you found the correct thread. You need to make sure the sunroof drain tubes are clear (if you have a sunroof) and the seam mentioned in my post above is sealed. Other than that, there's not much else that can be done. There's no recall or special coverage from GM for this problem, so unfortunately, you're likely on the hook for the whole tab. You could always try sending a PM to the GM Customer Service member here to see if they can provide any assistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Hey everyone this is my first post. I have a 2008 Acadia slt with no sunroof. About 3 weeks ago my wipers and windshield washer fluid would both turn on on their own and run. At first just once and a while now almost always to the point it will drain the whole reservoir. I took it in to the GM dealer in Barrie Ontario (Georgian) and after having 3 techs look at it they found corrosion on the relays/fuses behind the glove box. GM wants to replace fuse/relay center, performs water leak test and seal $1000 for everything.

Am I safe to assume I could have the same leak issue even though I don't have a sunroof?

Any thoughts or info would be helpful. My wife is some what scared to drive our 4 kids around as it is unpredictable when it will happen.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hello everyone! Me and my wife currently own a 2007 GMC Acadia 2wd. We are currently experiencing no crank/no start issues. After hours of research and headaches, I stumbled accross this post. Our Acadia is not equipped with a sunroof for the record... I did find a fairly large amount of water on the passenger side floor board. Following that, I removed the fuse block and did find alot of corrosion caused by water damage. My question is, If I go ahead and replace the fuse block will it possibly solve my issue with the no crank/no start? Feedback will be highly appreciated and much needed! Thank you in advance for your time everyone!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top