GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, I came across one new, leftover, unsold 2019(.9) Acadia Denali with the hard to find CCVRTD option, which was produced at its final month of June 2019 for 2019 model year, since June 2018 it first started production. Is this a desirable choice and specs, and any one here that likes the 6-speed auto better than 9-speed auto?

Isn't 6-speed supposed to perform better with the CCVRTD option, since it runs at higher RPM for fast speeds, so I assume it has the more "fun to drive" factor and racing in mountain turns than with 9-speed running at lower RPM?

While I understand that more gears usually give better highway MPG at higher speeds, they often get lower MPG than with fewer gears, especially if I live in Los Angeles metropolitan area where the traffic struggles to go above 55 mph during weekday peak hours. If I choose the 9-speed, I assume it will run at the higher 1,200 RPM at 45 mph speed than at 1,000 RPM exact with the 6-speed auto I saw on one YouTube video.

Rear axle ratio also increased from 3.16 with 6-speed auto to 3.49 with 9-speed auto. In my opinion, this is a big jump, and it's about 12% higher RPM than before at top gear overdrive. I can expect to lose up to 5 MPG on highway at 50 MPH speed if I take the 9-speed instead during one hypermill MPG driving.

So, is it worth to get the final-edition 2019.9 Acadia Denali with CCVRTD option that is designed to run at higher RPMs, which may (or may not) be more thrilling to drive, or new 2021 version with lower RPM? Which one would you take?

My overview here so far is I see the 6-speed both a hyper MPG candidate and most Porsche-like at the same time. Thanks for any advise here.
So, I came across one new, leftover, unsold 2019(.9) Acadia Denali with the hard to find CCVRTD option, which was produced at its final month of June 2019 for 2019 model year, since June 2018 it first started production. Is this a desirable choice and specs, and any one here that likes the 6-speed auto better than 9-speed auto?

Isn't 6-speed supposed to perform better with the CCVRTD option, since it runs at higher RPM for fast speeds, so I assume it has the more "fun to drive" factor and racing in mountain turns than with 9-speed running at lower RPM?

While I understand that more gears usually give better highway MPG at higher speeds, they often get lower MPG than with fewer gears, especially if I live in Los Angeles metropolitan area where the traffic struggles to go above 55 mph during weekday peak hours. If I choose the 9-speed, I assume it will run at the higher 1,200 RPM at 45 mph speed than at 1,000 RPM exact with the 6-speed auto I saw on one YouTube video.

Rear axle ratio also increased from 3.16 with 6-speed auto to 3.49 with 9-speed auto. In my opinion, this is a big jump, and it's about 12% higher RPM than before at top gear overdrive. I can expect to lose up to 5 MPG on highway at 50 MPH speed if I take the 9-speed instead during one hypermill MPG driving.

So, is it worth to get the final-edition 2019.9 Acadia Denali with CCVRTD option that is designed to run at higher RPMs, which may (or may not) be more thrilling to drive, or new 2021 version with lower RPM? Which one would you take?

My overview here so far is I see the 6-speed both a hyper MPG candidate and most Porsche-like at the same time. Thanks for any advise here.
I have a 2018 Acadia Denali with CCVRTD and a 2018 Acadia Denali without CCVRTD. Honestly I cannot see a difference in the ride between them. Perhaps if you were driving over something like a freshly milled highway with evenly spaced grooves the ride would be better with CCVRTD. I have the 6 speed in both and like it do far. Never driven or seen one with the 9 speed but I had a Canhon with an 8 speed and I hated it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2018 Acadia Denali with CCVRTD and a 2018 Acadia Denali without CCVRTD. Honestly I cannot see a difference in the ride between them.
Pretty much agree. I had a '14 Cadillac SRX with the feature and honestly the only times it was noticeable was 1) when driving on roads with expansion strips, RR tracks, etc. and other smaller imperfections (definitely not pot holes) and 2) cornering where the outside suspension became 'firmer' and made the vehicle more stable. On straight, smooth roads it doesn't make any difference that I could detect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From my own personal experience in driving both the 2018 Acadia 6 speed that I own and 2020 Acadia 9 speed that I rented, I felt the 9 speed shifted far more smoothly. Albeit my 6 speed gives me over 30+ mpg hywy at 70 mph consistently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
From my own personal experience in driving both the 2018 Acadia 6 speed that I own and 2020 Acadia 9 speed that I rented, I felt the 9 speed shifted far more smoothly. Albeit my 6 speed gives me over 30+ mpg hywy at 70 mph consistently.
Did the 9 speed you rented gave you better MPG or 6 speed? What about 50-55 mph speed, that's my concern. I don't think the 9 speed will do better here.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Did the 9 speed you rented gave you better MPG or 6 speed? What about 50-55 mph speed, that's my concern. I don't think the 9 speed will do better here.
Can't imagine anybody would notice the gas mileage on a rental...

Reactions: speleos

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I can't imagine there is really that much difference between the 6-speed and the 9-speed at 50-55.

My '18, V6, AWD, routinely gets 21-22 mpg around town and 32-33 on road trips. I can't imagine the 9-speed does much better.

If one is worried about a mile or 2 of mpg, there are most likely better vehicle choices than the Acadia.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Asking someone else about their fuel economy always makes me chuckle. Everyone's driving style is different. To me, fuel economy comparisons like the one in question should be done by the driver themself. That's the only true measure. Even the EPA states, "Your mileage may vary ..."

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I can't imagine there is really that much difference between the 6-speed and the 9-speed at 50-55.

My '18, V6, AWD, routinely gets 21-22 mpg around town and 32-33 on road trips. I can't imagine the 9-speed does much better.

If one is worried about a mile or 2 of mpg, there are most likely better vehicle choices than the Acadia.
I think the 9 speed gets GM some kind of energy credit for whatever driving cycle the tests use. Or something like that.
Do they really get better MPG?
I don't think so and we get about the same MPG you are stating. We get 21 to 22 around town also.
I see the V4 mode a lot for in town driving and more often then the 8 speed in my Colorado truck.
The Colorado . . I see V4 mode mostly around town under 45 MPH on level sustained speed driving and occasionally on level highway speeds of 55 to 65 MPH.
In the Acadia. . . V4 will hang in there even going up slight grades and even with a little extra gas pedal at times. Not so with the Colorado. Any little added pedal makes it back into V6 mode.
I have not ever reset the Acadia "B" trip mileage and MPG and it stays around 25.6 for all driving.
Highway best so far is 34.5 (50 mile average).
We haven't taken any long trips over 170 miles or so, but get +28 to +30 for the day trips we've gone on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Asking someone else about fuel economy always makes me chuckle. Everyone's driving style is different. To me, fuel economy comparisons like the one in question should be done by the driver themself. That's the only true measure. Even the EPA states, "Your mileage may vary ..."
Exactly. My "foot" might be heavier or lighter than yours. The highways we drive on are different. Hilly or on the plains. The amount of highway vs. city driving.
Also, as I noted before to the OP, the final ratio is pretty close between the 6/9 speeds, as the 9 speed has 2 OD's with a deeper axle ratio. So highway mileage should be pretty much a wash. The 9 speed does have a numerically lower final ratio, but that likely won't matter unless you happen to always drive at exactly the right speed to use the final gear on the highway, at the most efficient RPM. Sooo many variables. OP; just buy the car you like.

Reactions: speleos

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
... OP; just buy the car you like.
+1 We're being force fed technology that many of us don't like. I arranged a 24-hour test drive with my Acadia before making the purchase. Wasn't impressed at all with the 6-speed transmission, but anything with a 4-speed was nearly nonexistent. I still dislike the 6-speed and will probably have the same feeling about more 'gears' when I purchase something else (still looking at an XT5). It is what it is!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
What about reliability between 6-speed vs. 9-speed? Which one will last longer? I use carcomplaints.com as my best tool, and while there are no 9-speed complaints in 2020 GMC Acadia, there are a bunch of problems reported in 2018-2019 Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. Is this the same 9-speed in 2020 GMC Acadia too?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Keep in mind the 9 speed is newer, less in use, lower mileages = less issues no matter.
When I took my car in for a shift oddity the mechanic said "...you should see the 9 speeds"

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What about reliability between 6-speed vs. 9-speed? Which one will last longer? I use carcomplaints.com as my best tool, and while there are no 9-speed complaints in 2020 GMC Acadia, there are a bunch of problems reported in 2018-2019 Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. Is this the same 9-speed in 2020 GMC Acadia too?
Not to be negative or generate undue concern, but many newer transmissions designs have had issues.
I do not think either 6 or 9 speed can be said to be more durable or reliable.
However, to me, less gears, less shifting means less potential wear and troubles.

Not all out there will have them. I just point this out since the DTC mentioned in the article below can occur in several transmissions including the 6 and 9 speeds.
In another article I've read it indicated fluid level is important to check by the proper method and fluid temperature. So over or under fill can cause issues as well.

As far as the 6 speed vs 9 speed, here is a TechLink article that tells of a potential safety issue, but is far from widespread. Ford and others can have issues if not more so.

Transmission Warning for DTCs with Solenoid Stuck On – TechLink

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
In the Acadia. . . V4 will hang in there even going up slight grades and even with a little extra gas pedal at times. Not so with the Colorado. Any little added pedal makes it back into V6 mode.

Highway best so far is 34.5 (50 mile average).
I'm guessing I can get up to 42-43 MPG with V4 activated in Acadia 6 speed. In my 2018 Silverado V6 RWD (also 6 speed), it gets up to 38 MPG on highway at 50 mph max speed, with V4 activating 90% of the time.

I do know that 43 mph is the cheapest-speed to travel with the 6-speed, maybe up to 45 MPG, at open, desolated road, or during heavy LA traffic jams. This reward bonus is I think that the 9 speed is not capable of.

Sounds about right?

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
The 6-speed won't shift into 6th gear @ 43 mph unless you're some kind of tune wizard. Better fuel economy would be achievable above 45 mph with factory programming.

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
124 Posts
The 6-speed won't shift into 6th gear @ 43 mph unless you're some kind of tune wizard. Better fuel economy would be achievable above 45 mph with factory programming.
That is a very good point. In my opinion you are going to be giving 4th and 5th gears a good work out as you won’t be going fast enough to get into 6th gear at 45-50mph.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That is a very good point. In my opinion you are going to be giving 4th and 5th gears a good work out as you won’t be going fast enough to get into 6th gear at 45-50mph.
The last three GM vehicles with 6 speed I drove and rented before all shifted into 6th gear at 44-55 mph speed exact. Minimum speed in order to stay and hold in 6th gear is at 42-43 mph. Below 41 mph, it kicks back into 5th gear.

Someone posted on YouTube video that at 43 mph, it runs as little as 950 RPM and can be activated into V4 mode, because of the 3.16 axle ratio instead at 3.49. This is the high MPG I want to predict its actual number, and is it 45 MPG and above? Great speed for LA heavy traffic too.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Interesting - -
I pretty much doubt 43 to 44 MPG (calculated.. . not DIC reading) is something that can easily be attained in the 2WD Acadia with the 3.6L LGX engine. Maybe with the wind at your back , level or dropping in elevation and staying at 50 to 55 MPH.

The transmission will pretty much stay in 6th gear at 55MPH and that is the speed I drove at when we did pick up our Acadia and drove it 330 miles home. That was, BTW, when the DIC logged the highest 34.5 MPG. Relatively flat terrain with occasional rolling hills in some parts and some rain along the way.

On the highway, while I see V4 mode quite often, it is not sustainable for mile after mile and I am light on the gas pedal compared to most others I know and in my family/friends group.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm guessing I can get up to 42-43 MPG with V4 activated in Acadia 6 speed. In my 2018 Silverado V6 RWD (also 6 speed), it gets up to 38 MPG on highway at 50 mph max speed, with V4 activating 90% of the time.

I do know that 43 mph is the cheapest-speed to travel with the 6-speed, maybe up to 45 MPG, at open, desolated road, or during heavy LA traffic jams. This reward bonus is I think that the 9 speed is not capable of.

Sounds about right?
Unless you know some magic trick, the computer decides when to go into V4 mode, not the driver. I'm driven many times up and down I-81 at 70-80 mph for 300 miles. V4 mode very seldom activates. Even in V6 mode I still average 32-33 mpg. I'm not convinced that 45 mpg is attainable.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts