GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I came across one new, leftover, unsold 2019(.9) Acadia Denali with the hard to find CCVRTD option, which was produced at its final month of July 2019 for 2019 model year, since June 2018 it first started production. Is this a desirable choice and specs, and any one here that likes the 6-speed auto better than 9-speed auto?

Isn't 6-speed supposed to perform better with the CCVRTD option, since it runs at higher RPM for fast speeds, so I assume it has the more "fun to drive" factor and racing in mountain turns than with 9-speed running at lower RPM?

While I understand that more gears usually give better highway MPG at higher speeds, they often get lower MPG than with fewer gears, especially if I live in Los Angeles metropolitan area where the traffic struggles to go above 55 mph during weekday peak hours. If I choose the 9-speed, I assume it will run at the higher 1,200 RPM at 45 mph speed than at 1,000 RPM exact with the 6-speed auto I saw on one YouTube video.

Rear axle ratio also increased from 3.16 with 6-speed auto to 3.49 with 9-speed auto. In my opinion, this is a big jump, and it's about 12% higher RPM than before at top gear overdrive. I can expect to lose up to 5 MPG on highway at 50 MPH speed if I take the 9-speed instead during one hypermill MPG driving.

So, is it worth to get the final-edition 2019.9 Acadia Denali with CCVRTD option that is designed to run at higher RPMs, which may (or may not) be more thrilling to drive, or new 2021 version with lower RPM? Which one would you take?

My overview here so far is I see the 6-speed both a hyper MPG candidate and most Porsche-like at the same time. Thanks for any advise here.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm not sure I'm completely following your question, but variable damping doesn't have anything to do with engine RPM. 6-speed vs. 9-speed and engine RPM are separate from how the suspension performs. The variable damping is a controllable orifice that impacts the rate at which the shocks compress and rebound. Contrary to how some people describe it, variable damping doesn't change "stiffness". Springs determine stiffness and are displacement based. Shocks are damping and are velocity based.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I'm not sure I'm completely following your question, but variable damping doesn't have anything to do with engine RPM. 6-speed vs. 9-speed and engine RPM are separate from how the suspension performs. The variable damping is a controllable orifice that impacts the rate at which the shocks compress and rebound. Contrary to how some people describe it, variable damping doesn't change "stiffness". Springs determine stiffness and are displacement based. Shocks are damping and are velocity based.
View attachment 9727
+1, glad I'm not the only one left scratching my head wondering just what the OP is asking.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
+1, glad I'm not the only one left scratching my head wondering just what the OP is asking.
You, too! LOL The post had been tagged by forum software for mod approval. I thought, "Oh well. Why not."

·
Registered
945 Posts
You're not going to have a 5 mpg difference between the 6-speed and 9-speed during normal driving. If you're talking hypermiling, that's a whole other wacky thing. But if you decide to start taping cardboard to your vehicle, removing all dead weight like seats and carpeting, driving with the windows up and A/C off, driving in an annoying manner to creep to a start and never brake, and drafting semis with the engine off, please send pictures and videos of any altercations. :)

I think you'd be happy with either vehicle and not notice too much difference.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Rear axle ratio also increased from 3.16 with 6-speed auto to 3.49 with 9-speed auto. In my opinion, this is a big jump, and it's about 12% higher RPM than before at top gear overdrive. I can expect to lose up to 5 MPG on highway at 50 MPH speed if I take the 9-speed instead during one hypermill MPG driving.
AFAIK the 9 speed has 2 over drive gears whereas the 6 speed has one, so the final drive gear ratio should pretty much be a wash.

6 speed:
5th gear: 1.00
6th gear: 0.74

9 speed:
7th gear: 1.00
8th gear: 0.75
9th gear: 0.62

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
I usually refrain from leaving the transmission in 'D' while driving in mountains and downshift/upshift as I feel it's necessary. I'd have to use the +/- button a bit more with the 9-speed transmission. Don't see that as much of a big deal. The only difference would be getting used to the button(s) location with the new push-button shifter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think this is the first time I've ever heard the terms "hyper MPG candidate" and "Porsche-like" ever used in the context of a 5,000 pound 3 row SUV/CUV. :unsure:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think this is the first time I've ever heard the terms "hyper MPG candidate" and "Porsche-like" ever used in the context of a 5,000 pound 3 row SUV/CUV. :unsure:
LOL, was thinking the same (except it's a hair under 4000#).
Speleos; if you prefer the manual approach, you might not want a 2020 or newer (I prefer the 17-19 for that and other reasons), regular on dash gear selecting would be a royal PITA.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Out of curiosity, what happened with the 2018.9 Lincoln MKX you ordered on July 8, 2018

and the 2019.9 (?) Escalade Platinum you were planning to order on July 9, 2018?

Are you coming off of a lease from those? Weren't happy with them?

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
Speleos; if you prefer the manual approach, you might not want a 2020 or newer (I prefer the 17-19 for that and other reasons), regular on dash gear selecting would be a royal PITA.
I see it as no big deal whether it's high on the dash like an old Chrysler, or low on the console like the Acadia. Not too long ago, I drove buses with that Acadia-like shift console. Takes a bit to adapt, but becomes second nature in a short time.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
If the OP really wants a "Porsche-like" driving experience, maybe they'll be better off looking at the Cayenne and paying a bit extra.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Out of curiosity, what happened with the 2018.9 Lincoln MKX you ordered on July 8, 2018

and the 2019.9 (?) Escalade Platinum you were planning to order on July 9, 2018?

Are you coming off of a lease from those? Weren't happy with them?
All sold... before I can get here on time. :( I live in the worst state in America where new/used car sales are flying off the lot easily, and most buyers rack them up to 100,000 miles easily in just 2 years due to their Uber/Lyft careers, and many other Blue states economy reasons. There's a used car shortage in California. So, that forces me to buy brand new for nothing. You cannot buy a used 2018 Chevrolet Silverado V6 4X4 (also in my shopping list) for less than 10,000 miles in California. I also have trouble finding a used 2018 Lincoln MKX Black Label too, two years with no luck so far. Over 95% of used vehicles with the right options end up being over 1,000 miles away from home. I also booked some flights, at airport terminal, then phone rang that it was sold (not really sold, it sat on dealer lot too long, so it was transferred to another dealer out of state), so I lost some money on flights already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the OP really wants a "Porsche-like" driving experience, maybe they'll be better off looking at the Cayenne and paying a bit extra.
No luck so far finding a used 2018 Porsche Cayenne, all high-mileage and base trims to satisfy cheap leases in southern California.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How could something be sold that YOU ordered?
Everything gets sold in California easily, with the right options. That one had all the options, but it made the people greedy easily and buy/lease fast, that you don't find in any other US states. I was outbid. It's a long story...

Back to topic...

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
Which topic? 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 9727
What about driving in sports mode? I assume the 6-speed will rev higher due to lack of additional gears, while 9-speed will maintain and lower some rev numbers. So, do higher RPMs with CCVRTD make it more engaging to drive, with 6-speed only?

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
... So, do higher RPMs with CCVRTD make it more engaging to drive, with 6-speed only?
No. CCVRTD only makes it "more engaging to drive" when you're bending the vehicle around corners. You'd probably notice the difference with a CV transmission, too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Buy the 2019 Acadia Denali . . . . has what you want. Good deal.

Not sure about the rest. . . .. head is spinning. Have a good day.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts