GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the purpose is of the voltage meter in a 2018 GMC Acadia? The owners manual does not explain what it measures. I have researched on the Web to find an answer and have found the following possibilities. (1) it measures the number of volts that the alternator is generating at the moment to keep the battery charged or (2) it is measuring battery output.

The gauge usually stays around 14. What does 14 mean? Sometimes the measure is above or below 14.

I attached a photo of it.

Any insights are appreciated.

7E656C75-E006-4667-9536-0F7E546BD18C.jpeg

Registered
Well after doing a almost 1100 mile trip in my Acadia I noticed while driving during the day my needle would be at 12.5ish and driving at night it runs on 14 when I have to turn the lights on. So I guess its a variable load alternator to help save gas? Seems like I read somewhere it does that. So guess it will be hard to tell if your battery is on it's way out or not.

Super Moderator
... So I guess its a variable load alternator to help save gas? ...
An alternator charging system is variable load - always has been. The voltage regulating circuit shuts down the alternator once the battery reaches full charge. If it wasn't that way, the alternator would cook electrolytes out of the battery in short order!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts