GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and get an adaptor that has the headphone jack on one end, and RCA ends on the other, and it will work. Plug them into the RCA plugs in the console.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't believe a regular video RCA composite cable will work for displaying video on an external screen. APPLE changed the way video can be externally projected via a proprietary chip contained in video cables for post 5.5G IPOD devices (IPHONE being post 5.5G).

The cable they sell at the online Apple Store matches the cable used for the IPOD Classic (I own an IPOD Classic). I believe you have to buy the Apple proprietary video cable. An easy way to verify is to connect the IPONE Aux jack (one used for headphones) with a video RCA cable and check the IPHONE screen. You first have to configure the IPHONE for TV OUT (in setup). If the IPHONE comes up with an image with a CABLE (vs the intended video), you have to buy APPLE's proprietary cable. If you own a camcorder, it's RCA cable will suffice for the test.

Even with previous video IPODS, APPLE did not follow a universal RCA video cable "routing". To make a video/photo project externally using an RCA composite cable (using my 5G video IPOD), I have to swap the "yellow/red" cable output to the "red/yellow" composite input.

All cables sold by APPLE for the IPHONE Aux jack are audio only.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do apologize for my misinformation. I thoght it would work with just the cable I spoke about.

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
johnway said:
This is the type of cable you will need:

I don't think that will work, though it is listed for IPod Classic. My kids have Classics and I have a Nano. We have a couple different docks which include video out and it doesn't work with any of them. The one that works with my Sony receiver will display the track information on the TV but not the video output.

As stated in a previous post, you need to buy the $50 cable from Apple. I know they sell a component cable but I'm not sure about a composite cable. As far as I know, the Apple one is the only one that will work with the latest generation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts