GMC Acadia Forum banner

Are you experiencing this problem?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Acadia since the end of February. From the day we took delivery there has been a vibration that begins at about 53MPH. It is most noticeable when you rest your hand on the console, but can be felt through the seat and steering wheel. It does not change in different gears or even when coasting until the speed drops below about 53 MPH, then the vibration goes away. I did not get a chance to take it back to the dealer until last week. They balanced all the wheels and then did a road force balance and said the right rear tire/wheel was the problem. They took the tire off the rim, reseated it and said it was fixed. It was not. I took it back on Tuesday and they are still working on it. They have ruled out the tires/wheels and apparently have GMC engineering involved in trying to figure it out. Anyone experience this type of problem?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not a problem here, how many miles do you have on it. Keep us posted on what they find.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is smooth at all speeds. Your situation sure sounds like a wheel balance problem. Cannot imagine what else would cause it. Hope they find it soon!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
NO vibration on ours whatsoever. I'll be interested to hear what the issue turns out to be... bad tire? bad wheel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a friend who had a similar problem on his BMW, they tried everything to fix it, then they identified it as a bad tire, I think he said they used a flex test to identify the tire was bad.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not a problem on my Acadia, but I did have an almost identical problem to what you are describing on the '04 Caddy SRX (that I traded for the Acadia) when I first got it. They tried everything and FINALLY put on three new tires! Never had the problem again after that! Seems, from what they said, my car had three bad tires on it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Acadia has about 1900 miles on it. The dealer, at my suggestion, took the wheels and tires off another Acadia on their lot that did not have any vibration and put them on my car. The vibration was still there, so they say now that it is not a tire/wheel problem. Glad to hear that it is not just how all Acadias drive,so if they get to the point that they don't know what to do fix it and try to get me to live with it, I can insist that it needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Do you have an AWD or a FWD (cause I can remember some posts about breakin in period on an AWD and potential problems) ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is AWD. During the first 500 miles they say not to go over 55 MPH for some reason, I followed that recommendation.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thats good. I found the post and it was a whinning noise in the trans that might be created by not following the breakin, not the vibes that you are getting.
And yes, insist on getting it fixed. This is one of the smoothest cars I have driven at speed. Let us know if they ever figure it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have also noticed what I feel is tire noise at speeds between 65 and 75 MPH. The noise is similar to the noise you hear when driving on grooved pavement, but not as loud. I have taken my Acadia to the dealer twice, and they have not been able to find a solution.....They balanced and rotated the wheels and they also tried wheels/tires from another new Acadia they had on the lot.... They told me that the other new Acadia made the same noise....Now we are waiting for the GMC rep to visit next week and he will drive my car to listen for himself...

I have an SLT-2 AWD. Took delivery on 3/31/07 and now have 2700 miles. The noise has been present since the vehicle was new.

Aside from this issue, the Acadia has been trouble free and is a joy to drive. I am confident that GMC will come up with a solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the Acadia back from the dealer today. They replaced the drive shaft. Said that it was out of round. The vibration did not completely go away, but is less noticeable. I am going to drive it some before I decide whether or not to take it back. The service manager told me that another Acadia on the lot that he drove had the same very minor vibration at 55 to 60 MPH. I may ask to drive that one. I'm sure I could have driven it today, but I did not have time. In any case, even though another one may have some vibration, it does not seem completely right to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is definately something going on. As per previous post, the Acadia is probably the smoothest drive I have had. Not even a hint of any vibration at 55. I would not accept anything less!

·
Registered
121 Posts
broughj...there should be NO vibration at any speed. The problem you mention sounds like what we saw on a vehicle in the company fleet. We replaced the Rear Drive Module and the problem was corrected. As your dealer if they tried this...if not, they should swap it with another unit that does not have the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Broughj - does the vibration go away above 75 mph? I've noticed my wifes SLT awd has a slight high frequency vibration between 57 mph and 75 mph including a slight vibration in the steering wheel when turning above 30 mph. I also noticed when loaded with 4 passengers and luggage the vibration was gone.

When I compare the ride to my work 07 dodge caravan the caravan is smoother at highway speeds. This may be do to the less aggressive and smaller tires. I need to make a service appointment. I'm just afraid they will either say they cannot feel anything since the vibration is slight or give me some other run around.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
mgal - just as 001 pointed out in the post before yours, ANY vibration in the Acadia is way too much. Ours is smooth as silk at any speed, as it should be. Take it to your dealer, something isn't right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
foghorn said:
Mine is smooth at all speeds. Your situation sure sounds like a wheel balance problem. Cannot imagine what else would cause it. Hope they find it soon!
:cheers:

Hi! Let me contribute a few of my own experience generally on vibration? (1) Wheel Alignment; (2) Wheel or rim due to defective product; (3) Tires!; (4) Could be loose balljoint (a factory defect installation (perhaps?); and last but not least STEERING WHEEL defective.. hope this helps..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took the Acadia back to the dealer on Thursday. The service manager and a GM rep drove it and then drove another Acadia off the lot. They said that there was nothing wrong with my Acadia, they said they did not feel any vibration in either vehicle. I drove the other Acadia with the Service Manager and I did not feel the vibration. I still feel it in mine. The vibration that I feel is slight and high frequency, but noticeable especially on very smooth roads. The previous fixes of road force balancing the tires and changing the drive shaft did reduce but not eliminate the vibration. It sounds like it may be similar to what mgal has noticed in his Acadia. I have not driven it much above 75mph, so I cannot say if it goes away or not. The vibration is most noticeable through the arm rest on the center console when it is in the rearward position, although I can feel it through the seat and steering wheel. The service manager said that the vibration through the arm rest in the rearward position is there on all Acadias because the back of the arm rest overhangs the console and is not fully supported. I did not feel it on the unit I drove off their lot. I do want to acknowledge and thank acadia7j100001 for working with my dealer on this issue. The service manager told me that a defective rear drive module would result in a more violent and noticeable vibration than what I have been experiencing. So at this point, I guess I'll learn to live with it. I would not say that I am completely satisfied and told the service manager that if I had noticed the vibration when I drove the car before I bought it, I would not have bought the car.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts