GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in suspension and it turns out it is driveline related

Is the rear torque tube clutch something that will leave us on the side of the road?

Turning the wheel either way to exit anywhere and accelerating there is a very rapid rumble and I do feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it feels just like I have big knobby off road tires and they are rubbing on the frame, which I don't!
This started about 2 months ago and then it was very faint, now it is worse.
3 weeks ago I replaced the fluid in the front differential, no change
I just replaced the right front (that is where the sound is coming from) axle with no change.

Anybody here know of a common, or uncommon cause?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Is the rear torque tube clutch something that will leave us on the side of the road?
It shouldn't. Even if the viscous coupler fell off completely, FWD would still be available. The Acadia is basically a FWD vehicle.

I once had a rear drive shaft u-joint break on a Bronco. Tied up the shaft with some wire, locked in the front hubs, put the Bronco in 4WD, and drove to a shop for repair. Luckily, I wasn't out on a remote job site when it happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let's address that rumble. I have the same thing in my '09. Mine was quiet up to about 40, then started a rumble, like hitting a rumble strip. It would last for a couple seconds at freeway speeds. Then gone, only to come back in maybe a minute or two. It then did a full swing while driving. I got a big clunk sound at speed, and the high speed rumble pretty much went away and the low speed clicks started when I back into parking, then pull out going the opposite direction.

I was chasing parts at a I-Pull yard and happened upon 4 GM crossovers. 3 had the drive lines laying in the car. The back universal joint on all 3 were real hard to move, and when I did they had what appeared to be notches or grooves in the u-joint. Rough to turn. Not smooth like a u-joint should be. I got home and ordered a new drive line, US made, for $300. I have always wanted to blame the torque tube clutch pack for something!! I just talked to a GM mechanic and he said the clutch pack is supposed to disengage when you turn, and then engage when going straight. I haven't thought this one out yet!! So while I was at the yard, I looked at the crossovers and looked at mileage on them. A 2012 Enclave had 101,000 miles on it. I asked how much they needed for it. He looked it up, looked it up again with a photo, and said $22.00!!! I went there this morning with tools and asked him again how much and he said $22, so I pulled it.

I am going to replace the tube and the driveline. If it cures the noise issue, that will be great!! But I won't know where the problem was, tube or driveline. This noise is a condition that no one, not even GM, can find the cure for. I will keep the site posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to update y'all on the torque tube and driveline replacement. I removed the old tube, transferred the clutch control module from my tube to the new tube. This kept all electronic controlling stuff the same. A word of caution when dropping a tube. They fall hard!! Support it with a good jack that can safely lower the front end to the floor. I actually didn't put the control module on the tube until the tube was bolted to the rear differential. Reason was I had a difficult time getting the wire plugs to connect to the module. The locking tab needed to be pushed down to engage the module. I used an upholstery pin, about 1/16" thick, to push the tab down by inserting it inside the plug. One of my plugs was not connected. After plugs were connected securely, I attached the module with L shaped Torx wrench.

I thought the driveline was US made, China! It looks real good, and has a replaceable universal joint on the tail end. Different from GM. Again I used a jack to support the driveline while I attached all bolts.

Told my wife I was going for a drive, with my cell phone, in case of problems. Six miles at 55, no problems. No popping or vibrating. Hit I-15 freeway north at 80 mph, on cruise, not one vibration!! Five more miles, turning, corners, into driveway, not one noise.

As I said before, I don't know what part "fixed" the noise and popping, but the $22 torque tube and the $315 driveline appear to have fixed the problem. Money well spent!! I only got one smashed hand, 3 cuts, and a bolt in the teeth!!
I will heal!!

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Thanks for the update. (y)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Always appreciate people posting their solutions, never know who might need it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts