GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turning the wheel either way to exit anywhere and accelerating there is a very rapid rumble and I do feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it feels just like I have big knobby off road tires and they are rubbing on the frame, which I don't!
This started about 2 months ago and then it was very faint, now it is worse.
3 weeks ago I replaced the fluid in the front differential, no change
I just replaced the right front (that is where the sound is coming from) axle with no change.

Anybody here know of a common, or uncommon cause?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
You should have the vibration evaluated by someone who's good at diagnosing AWD problems. What you describe could be a vibration from either the transfer case, torque tube, or somewhere else in the AWD system. Don't start just throwing parts at it! A second (in car) opinion is always a good way to go when you can't be certain yourself.

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am going to have it looked at by the local gm dealer that I work with on occasion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer took it for a test drive, said it is a clutch in the rear torque tube. Is it possible for that to transfer up the drive line and be felt in the steering wheel?

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
The dealer took it for a test drive, said it is a clutch in the rear torque tube. Is it possible for that to transfer up the drive line and be felt in the steering wheel?
Yes it is.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Years ago I owned an Acura MDX that had a vibration on slow speed left turns. The dealer said new rear differential at $3,000. My independent mechanic said there was a Tech Bulletin that said change the fluid. $64 later and a fluid change and the problem was solved.

George

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago I owned an Acura MDX that had a vibration on slow speed left turns. The dealer said new rear differential at $3,000. My independent mechanic said there was a Tech Bulletin that said change the fluid. $64 later and a fluid change and the problem was solved.

George
First thing I did was change the front diff fluid, used the synthetic lube recommended by GM. The fluid didn't look or smell bad but it definitely was time just from the mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts