GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a vibration in my Acadia starting around 60mph. I can see the steering wheel moving and feel the car vibrating also. I am going to get the tires rebalanced but I am afraid it may be something worse. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,465 Posts
rotate tires front to back- see if its still there---
but the rebalance sounds good.
All lug nuts on tight?

I also read somewhere-- where I think a Trailblazer owner had water in his tire- overnight it would freeze. cause a lump. caused vibration.
Once the tire heated up a bit--- the ice melted--- no more lump- no more vibration. Until the car sat overnight in the cold... lump again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
tk said:
I get a vibration in my Acadia starting around 60mph. I can see the steering wheel moving and feel the car vibrating also. I am going to get the tires rebalanced but I am afraid it may be something worse. Any suggestions?
Front tires out of balance will cause the steering wheel to vibrate while rear ones can cause vibration perhaps felt in the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Vibration can be from many things, tires out of balance, brake rotor run-out/warping, alignment, wheel bearings, internal tire defect, etc.

Any pedal pulsation on light braking? How about on hard braking? Does the vehicle drive straight as an arrow or do you have to constantly correct or 'pull' the vehicle back to center? Are you going over the same roads when testing this out? Try some other roadways, perhaps where it has been recently repaved with fresh asphalt.

Have the tires balanced for sure at a minimum. Get the alignment checked if you observe the vehicle drifting or pulling to one side or not staying 'on center'. A more expensive version of tire balancing is a "road force" balancing, which is a high quality balancing.

Vibration can be very unsettling if you're not sure where it's coming from. My wife refused to drive our car when it vibration at highway speeds - thought something severely wrong but was just really out of balance tire/wheels. After getting the road force balancing, it drove much better, is smoother now.

If the vibration is being transmitted into the steering, it's highly likely the suspect is at the front end of your vehicle. Having the tires rotated, like what RBarrios has suggested will help identify if the problem follows the (problem) wheel to the back of the vehicle, or if the problem 'stays' up at the front-end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Did you get this issue resolved? I have a 2010 Acadia. Noticed a vibration in steering wheel back in January around 16,000 miles. Thought it was road issue. Husband drove it and noticed vibration especially at speeds over 60 and also when turning going on an off/on ramp. Took to dealer. They rotated and balanced tires twice. Still hapenning. Third time they road tested. Said I had a bad tire. They ordered replacement. Put replacement on and it won't road test. They ordered a 2nd replacement. I am nervous that this may not fix the problem given what I have read on the site. I will wait and see...just curious as to whether your issue was resolved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
tracybayne said:
Did you get this issue resolved? I have a 2010 Acadia. Noticed a vibration in steering wheel back in January around 16,000 miles. Thought it was road issue. Husband drove it and noticed vibration especially at speeds over 60 and also when turning going on an off/on ramp. Took to dealer. They rotated and balanced tires twice. Still hapenning. Third time they road tested. Said I had a bad tire. They ordered replacement. Put replacement on and it won't road test. They ordered a 2nd replacement. I am nervous that this may not fix the problem given what I have read on the site. I will wait and see...just curious as to whether your issue was resolved.
It's very much like a process of elimination. Wheel balance and/or bad tires can mask other problems lurking within. Once you solve the wheel balance or bad tire issue, there could still be something else that was contributing to the overall vibration. Stick with it, you may have to go back more than once as there may be more than once problem at hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
I randomly have this issue in the winter, huge front end vibration, steering wheel feels like a jackhammer at 100 km/h ...

Think it is snow/ice buildup underneath somewhere. It usually goes away on its own after a day or two and comes back randomly even weeks later.

This is in like -20 to -30 C temperatures normally when I notice it most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
R-D said:
I randomly have this issue in the winter, huge front end vibration, steering wheel feels like a jackhammer at 100 km/h ...

Think it is snow/ice buildup underneath somewhere. It usually goes away on its own after a day or two and comes back randomly even weeks later.

This is in like -20 to -30 C temperatures normally when I notice it most.
Absolutely have had this problem. After it got bad enough, I took a look, sure enough it was snow build up that had turned into ice. After weather warmed up or had enough braking activity to assist with melting the problem went away. Back to nice smooth ride.

I've also found that simply taking your vehicle through a car wash or using a manual car wash (with a spray wand) will help eliminate this issue too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I'm having some vibration issues as well. Can not only feel it in the steering wheel, but also through the seats and console/armrest.
It's basically present at all times, although less noticeable at lower speeds.
Here's what's been done, none of which have solved the problem:
New steering gear
New passenger side front half axle
Alignment(s)
Tire rotation(s)
New brake rotors

I've had 3 alignments in 1 year of ownership... seems like it's not holding alignment.
I haven't ruled out the driver side half axle.

Any other ideas? Bearings? Other suspension components?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
JeffyC said:
Any other ideas? Bearings? Other suspension components?
You may have a tire issue. I would have the tires road force balanced vs. spin balanced. I also have this service performed at an independent tire shop, such as Discount Tire, and explain the vibration you are experiencing.

How many miles on the tires? How many on the Acadia?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
Also make sure that your dealer is using the new alignments specs....rbarrios posted about them changing. I don't know if they will help......never hurts to ask though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,618 Posts
JeffyC said:
I'm having some vibration issues as well. Can not only feel it in the steering wheel, but also through the seats and console/armrest.
It's basically present at all times, although less noticeable at lower speeds.
Here's what's been done, none of which have solved the problem:
New steering gear
New passenger side front half axle
Alignment(s)
Tire rotation(s)
New brake rotors

I've had 3 alignments in 1 year of ownership... seems like it's not holding alignment.
I haven't ruled out the driver side half axle.

Any other ideas? Bearings? Other suspension components?
Hi JeffyC,

Was all of this work performed at your GMC Dealership? If so, and if you would like for us to check into this further with them, please send us a private message with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Michelle), GMC Customer Service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HOLY [email protected]#* - It was the tires. Those Continentals are having a ton of problems. Got a great deal on the OE tires from the Dealership believe it or not. $235 (that included mount and balance) + a $100 rebate. OH HOW GREAT IS IS NOT TO HAVE THE SHAKES.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Acadia Denali and have been dealing with this vibration issue for the past year. We are on the 3rd set of tires, hard to believe that so many tires "are out of balance" and have had multiple other things done as well, all at my inconvenience of leaving my vehicle at the dealer for sometimes weeks at a time. At the last visit, the dealer told me it was a normal vibration in the Acadia. Funny how they spent the last year working on something that is 'normal'! Vibration is in the steering wheel, console and seats, and can be felt at varying highway speeds, anywhere from 62-75mph. I have since contacted GM and am working with them to intervene with the dealership to attempt to have this problem fixed. It is so frustrating; if it is something that can't be fixed, stop making the Acadias until it is worked out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
frustrated said:
I have a 2013 Acadia Denali and have been dealing with this vibration issue for the past year. We are on the 3rd set of tires, hard to believe that so many tires "are out of balance" and have had multiple other things done as well, all at my inconvenience of leaving my vehicle at the dealer for sometimes weeks at a time. At the last visit, the dealer told me it was a normal vibration in the Acadia. Funny how they spent the last year working on something that is 'normal'! Vibration is in the steering wheel, console and seats, and can be felt at varying highway speeds, anywhere from 62-75mph. I have since contacted GM and am working with them to intervene with the dealership to attempt to have this problem fixed. It is so frustrating; if it is something that can't be fixed, stop making the Acadias until it is worked out!
Do you hear a hum that changes in pitch based on the speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,618 Posts
frustrated said:
I have a 2013 Acadia Denali and have been dealing with this vibration issue for the past year. We are on the 3rd set of tires, hard to believe that so many tires "are out of balance" and have had multiple other things done as well, all at my inconvenience of leaving my vehicle at the dealer for sometimes weeks at a time. At the last visit, the dealer told me it was a normal vibration in the Acadia. Funny how they spent the last year working on something that is 'normal'! Vibration is in the steering wheel, console and seats, and can be felt at varying highway speeds, anywhere from 62-75mph. I have since contacted GM and am working with them to intervene with the dealership to attempt to have this problem fixed. It is so frustrating; if it is something that can't be fixed, stop making the Acadias until it is worked out!
Hello there,

I deeply apologize for this ongoing vibration concern with your vehicle and can certainly understand your frustrations. Are you in contact with another GM Customer Assistance agent? If you are already working with GM Customer Care, I must refer you back to the active agent of your case, as they are in the best position to further assist you. However, if additional concerns or questions arise, please feel free to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
GMC Customer Care
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hello there,

I deeply apologize for this ongoing vibration concern with your vehicle and can certainly understand your frustrations. Are you in contact with another GM Customer Assistance agent? If you are already working with GM Customer Care, I must refer you back to the active agent of your case, as they are in the best position to further assist you. However, if additional concerns or questions arise, please feel free to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
GMC Customer Care
I too have a vibration starting about 60 but can be drove out about 70 plus. transmisson rebuilt, new tires aligment and road forced balance. all done at dealer and under warranty it a 2016 Acadia awd. I am very concerned. called GM said to take it another dealer second opinion. after running several test said its the nature of the acadia not to worry. it started about 45000 miles, I am concerned it runs out of miles and something happens I sunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I get a vibration in my Acadia starting around 60mph. I can see the steering wheel moving and feel the car vibrating also. I am going to get the tires rebalanced but I am afraid it may be something worse. Any suggestions?
I had the same issue with my 2016 Denali. Road Force balance made it much better, but I think the Bridgestone tires are part of the problem. They seem very hard. My 2018 Denali has Michelin tires on it and it does not have this issue. The 2016 and 2018 chassis are different though.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top