GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... so almost 2 years later, 25,000 miles. I am no longer in love with my Acadia and have not been for about a year. I have had my car to the dealer 6 times to address a vibration in the steering wheel.

The first time it went it, they found nothing.

The second time, a loose bolt on the A/C compressor bracket, and when that did not resolve the problem, they found the p/s pressure inlet rubbing a/c firewall inlet and repositioned the p/s line away fromt he a/c line. Problem got better but vibration never went away.

The third time it went it, they found nothing.

The fourth time it went in, they raised the truck and loosened and resecured the engine mounts, frame and steering rack. I was informed slight vibration is normal due to the way the truck is assembled.

The fifth time it was in, they blamed a bad tire. The tire was replaced but problem still exists.

The car is going in again next week, and I took a preliminary test drive with the service manager. The steering wheel vibrates at idle. This was not there when I bought the car. The vibration lessens if you turn off the A/C but does not go away. The SM told me that he does not think they will find anything and said he feels the remaining vibration is normal.

Any suggestions on what to have them look at. This is frustrating. I don't ever want to drive the acadia as I can feel the vibration in my hands and it is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
See if your dealer can increase the idle speed a little. Just would probably smooth out the vibrations that you are talking about (when stopped and engine at idle). Just a thought.

Also, you might check to see if your throttle body needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once again, they found nothing. I was told the vibration is normal. In what world do they live that a vibration strong enough to be felt by simply touching the wheel normal. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. They told me it goes away if you turn off the AC. Thats a big help. not like we dont need to use AC here 9 months out of the year or anything.
I am so pissed off right now.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Drive another Acadia and see if it can be felt in that one. If it can it is probably normal, but if you cannot feel it in the test vehicle you might have a problem. You might try another dealer. It does sound like your dealer has been trying to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
752 Posts
xseler said:
See if your dealer can increase the idle speed a little. Just would probably smooth out the vibrations that you are talking about (when stopped and engine at idle). Just a thought.

Also, you might check to see if your throttle body needs to be cleaned.
If you only feel the vibration at idle, then you definitely want to follow the above advice. That leads to the next question - when and under what conditions do you feel the vibration?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vibration is most noticeable at idle and gets stronger if you turn the A/C on. Today I also noticed that it can be felt in the transmission shifter. The vibration lessens when moving, but is still there.

The dealer told me he checked two other Acadias that were in the shop at the same time and they all had the same problem, unfortunately by the time I got there to pickup my car, the other ones were gone, so I was unable to compare myself.

I am really disappointed with the Service Manager. He had indicated he would be opening a case with GM for the problem and elected not to do so. This was their 6th repair attempt at this problem. Really disappointing. I am contemplating filing a claim with the BBB auto line. There is another dealer on the other side of town, and I am also contemplating an independent mechanic to look at it. I stopped in a shop the other day and he felt the vibration and thought it should not be there as well and told me to bring it by next week if I want him to take a look and see what he can find.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
cmg27 said:
The dealer told me he checked two other Acadias that were in the shop at the same time and they all had the same problem, unfortunately by the time I got there to pickup my car, the other ones were gone, so I was unable to compare myself.
If it's a "problem," than how can it be "normal."

What does the tach read at idle? It should be 650-700 rpm and the idle speed control should compensate to near that level, or slightly higher when the A/C engages.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I've read all the posts and you are saying the vibration is present at idle, so the vehicle is not moving when this is taking place. That would rule out any tire, suspension, etc. parts since the vehicle is not moving. GM spends a lot of time & money on NVH (noise vibration harshness) for their powertrains, so it should not be present.

Sound a lot like a motor or transmission mount. Just resecuring it does not rule out the mount. I picked up a F**d once from the dealer that had the short block replaced. It felt odd (loose) while driving & at idle. I opened the hood & saw daylight where at least one of the motor mount bolts was supposed to be! The tech had left it off and the motor was moving when the car accelerated.
<Gratuitous F**d cheap shot>
Fortunately, it wasn't a Chevy V8, so the power output was so low there was no damage. ;)

As with doctors, sometimes you need a second opinion. Is there another GM dealer close by that could look it over?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is another dealer.. not very convenient tho.... More than anything I just want it fixed. Been contemplating taking it over to a mechanic I used to know to see what he thinks of it.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Not a bad idea for getting a second opinion from your mechanic acquaintance. If you still have warranty left on the A, I'd take him to the dealer with you to explain what he found and let the dealer's tech do the work. Might cost you a beer, or lunch, at the most!! :beer:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Preliminary look by the mechanic and he thinks its the engine mounts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
AF shadetree virtual mechanics to the rescue again! ;D

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
You might have your tech friend also pay attention to the 'dogbone' mount at the top of the engine. It's part of the mounting system that could easily be overlooked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts