GMC Acadia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for threads on vibration because I know I've seen them before, but none of them seemed to specifically address what I was experiencing.

My brother noticed it last week. He was sitting in the backseat and mentioned it to me. Right at 45mph, if you're trying to maintain a steady speed, the entire underneath of the vehicle vibrates from front to back. You can feel it in the accelerator as well. It does go away after dropping the speed below or increasing it above 45. But something doesn't seem right.

I'm getting ready to bring it in to the dealer for a few other issues anyway, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone else with a FWD was experiencing anything like this. I don't think it's associated with the tranny flash, because I've had that for a while now and just in the past week or two started noticing this vibration.

:-\

·
Registered
956 Posts
Re: Vibration at 40-45mph

Does it vibrate on all road sufaces and at the same speed? Have you been rotating your tires on a regular basis? How many miles are on the tires and have you had them rebalanced? I just went through this with my car (not the Acadia) and it was the tires and not a mechanical problem with the car.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It pretty much happens on a variety of roads. I probably notice it more on the smoother roads just because there aren't bumps or other rough patches to distract me. I've only really noticed it right around 40mph, up to 45mph - and mostly when I'm holding the accelerator to maintain a constant speed.

I have just about 14,000 miles on the vehicle and my tires are rotated regularly. I'm not sure if the dealership rebalanced them when they rotated them last or not. That would have been about a month ago.

·
Registered
956 Posts

I doubt they balanced them unless you asked them too. Take your hand and run it over the tire(s) tread in both directions. If it feels smooth in one direction and rough in the other on any of the tires this is called feathering and can make noise and sometimes vibration. Does the vibration continue if the car is put in neutral at the problem speeds? If the vibrations goes away or is dimished the problem might be in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Or out of alignment due to having hit some pot hole?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

big bear craig said:
Does the vibration continue if the car is put in neutral at the problem speeds? If the vibrations goes away or is dimished the problem might be in the drivetrain.
I'll try that next time I notice the vibration. Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts

theres an issue of Motor Trend i came across last month wherein one of the columnist mentioned about vibration problems on the drivetrain on some GM vehicles with the 3.6 V6 engines... ill check it out when i find it and post it here.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Last night it started with the vibration again. It's more like right around 45 and up to 50mph. But mostly at 45. So I shifted it into neutral and the vibration immediately went away.

I'm dropping it off at the dealer this morning. They *probably* won't be able to duplicate this vibration. It doesn't do it every time and sometimes it is worse than others.

But at least they can get rid of that god awful power-steering whine from under my hood. It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
339 Posts

SioXie said:
theres an issue of Motor Trend i came across last month wherein one of the columnist mentioned about vibration problems on the drivetrain on some GM vehicles with the 3.6 V6 engines... ill check it out when i find it and post it here.
If I recall the article you are referring to appropriately. I believe that article is in reference to the new 3.6 Direct Injection engine in the new CTS.

·
Registered
812 Posts

Kloogee said:
SioXie said:
If I recall the article you are referring to appropriately. I believe that article is in reference to the new 3.6 Direct Injection engine in the new CTS.
it might be?... theres a term for it, im still looking for the article... but its a vibration occuring during high RPM, radiating from the engine to the drivetrain...

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

SioXie said:
Kloogee said:
SioXie said:
it might be?... theres a term for it, im still looking for the article... but its a vibration occuring during high RPM, radiating from the engine to the drivetrain...
At 45mph, I wouldn't consider the RPM to be very high. It's not even at 2,000. Heck, when I'm doing 75mph, it's barely above 2,000.

·
Registered
812 Posts

when your in your dealer and ask them if they have similiar experiences with any GMC trucks or SUVs preferably the Yukons and Avalanches as my friend just brought one and is having the same issue that you have...

we were suspecting it on a faulty engine mounts as it seems to radiate from the engine to your drivetrain, but his has a rattling noise occuring during shifting.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

From my other post about my shop experience:

b. Tony and the service technician were not able to duplicate the 45mph vibration. Tony had the service director drive my Acadia and Dan (that's the guy's name) did feel the vibration and knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently they've received this complaint in the past about various pickups, Yukons, etc. They agree that it is not a normal vibration, but they aren't sure how to fix it on the Acadia. He wants to keep it through tomorrow in order to look into it further. He said he was going to drive another 07 Acadia on the lot to see if it also has the vibration. I reminded him that I did not feel this prior to the last tranny update so that he could take that into consideration.
I can't remember if he said Avalanche or not, he may have.

·
Registered
812 Posts

seems you got a good and reliable dealer, hope they fix things up for you soon... :thumb:

keep us updated...

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'll be getting my Acadia back this afternoon. Without a fix for the 45 mph vibration. Apparently, the three '07s that they test drove from the lot vibrate much worse than mine does. And they have no idea how to deal with it. I'm told that until GM receives enough complaints and addresses a fix for the issue, I just have to live with it. I'm also told that it's not a hazard. I certainly hope not. It is mildly annoying though. :-\

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I had sent an email to GM's Customer Care Center about this 45mph vibration issue I've been experiencing and they just got back to me today. I had to answer a bunch of questions about the vehicle and repair history etc to assist them in their investigation.

If anyone else is experiencing this vibration/shutter at 45mph, I suggest that you also contact them and report the issue. Maybe it'll help move things along faster.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think that the vibration is normal due to it's near a shift point for the transmission. The entire 45-50 mph range even after the transmission flash still seems to lag at this shift point.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JasonM said:
I think that the vibration is normal due to it's near a shift point for the transmission. The entire 45-50 mph range even after the transmission flash still seems to lag at this shift point.
My dealership has gone on record saying that they don't believe it to be normal. If this is a normal behavior, I don't want this truck anymore. It's absurd that the entire vehicle should vibrate/shutter at 45mph and continue to do so as long as you maintain that speed.

I'm hopeful that GM can figure out what to do about this problem.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Web Raven said:
My dealership has gone on record saying that they don't believe it to be normal. If this is a normal behavior, I don't want this truck anymore. It's absurd that the entire vehicle should vibrate/shutter at 45mph and continue to do so as long as you maintain that speed.

I think its pretty safe to say that its not normal. You don't see a lot of folks here chiming in saying "I have that too". Mine certainly does not do it. You should stick to your path and pursue with GM.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

[/quote]

Charlene, maybe you might want to try calling Lemay [262-694-1500], dealership in Kenosha, and make an appointment. Makes no difference what dealership you bought from. They might have better techs to help you. They are also open on Saturdays. I'd give it a try as your car is not acting normal. I bought my Acadia there some 75 miles from where we live as wife knows saleman's sister. I drive some 60 miles to work and had the last transmission flash done at GMC dealer, near work, as do not trust our local dealership to do any work, warranty or otherwise. Just a thought if you want someone else to look at it. Believe is corner of WI Hwy 31 and Hwy 50 and is tucked in behind strip mall on 31, but facing hwy 50. If you come up on 94 and pass the Designer Outlet Mall, Hwy 50 is couple exiits and go east on 50 four miles. I hope you get taken care of whether locally or elsewhere. Some dealer service depts are better than others.....
Jon

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.