GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our Acadia 3 days ago! The hood seemed awfully warm so I opened it up and everything was very very warm to touch. I Called my husband out to feel my Engine compartment LOL! We payed very close attention to the engine temp gauge when we took it for a drive on Sunday, it was ok. Engine compartment seems to get warmer than any vehicle that we have had, Is this normal?
Thanks ahead of time,
Lee

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I believe it is normal. Today's engines run very hot but as long as temp gauge is within normal limits there should be no problem.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Keep in mind this is a V-6 on a very large, heavy vehicle, it has to rev really high, especially on inclines, to keep the vehicle moving, this will produce more heat. Then the transmission is also inline with the engine for the front wheel drive, not sure what type of vehicle you had prior, the tranny might have been behind the engine (between the front seats. As long as the temperature gauge is saying everything is normal then your OK.

·
Registered
405 Posts
the engine runs at about 210 so you are always going to feel heat in the engine compartment. When you use the a/c it might get even hot on the hood this is all normal. the engine is like you when it works it gets hot and produces heat. If your engine ever over heats you NEVER want to pour water on the engine while i is hot, let it cool down by it self. the intense change in temperature can actully CRACK the engine or plastic fluid tanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks I feel better. I was sort of in a panic on Saturday, actually couldn't sleep thinking that if there is a problem we don't need a fire in our garage & went to put it OUT SIDE. Imagine that, Acadia outside like a wild animal!
It Never occured to me but this IS my first all wheel drive vehicle and thanks rollin thunder for the no water on the hot engine advice. I do rinse the engine at the car wash once and a while, I'll just have to do the Acadia when cool in my own driveway. That's if I'm forgiven for a home car wash incident (was banned from home car washes after staining the driveway with rim cleaner!)
Thanks to all, Lee

·
Registered
28 Posts
An additional note, you will smell a burnt smell on it for a while as well. Its just the coatings on all the new engine parts burning off. Perfectly normal... our garage smelled funny for weeks.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Lee,
I would be very careful with the engine washing. I believe that there are too many electronics under the hood that should not get soaked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts