GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum, and I wanted to know if there is some way to use your onstar phone through verizon without subscribing to onstar. I added my acadia to my verizon family plan and it worked fine until my 1 year free subsciption to onstar expired. I don't want to pay for onstar just to use the phone, since i already have to pay verizon for that. Any suggestions on what if anything I can do. Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
gotta have onstar for the phone connection to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you need onstar, but i want to know if any one was able to circumvent onstar and hook up their car's phone without getting ripped off by GM and their force fed onstar.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I assume you have an '07 or '08 and so don't have Bluetooth? Would be helpful if you could update your signature with your vehicle information.

If my assumption is right, I would suggest outfitting your car with an aftermarket Bluetooth kit. You're not going to get the Onstar phone service to work without subscribing to Onstar.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Go for a bluetooth device and you're good to go without the ripoff Onstar fee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, no I do not have bluetooth, I have a loaded 08 slt2. I know I could go the after market bluetooth route, I just hate the fact that I paid for a car that has a phone built in, that is campatible with my phone network, and for some reason GM feels entitled to correspond with my vehicle to make the phone obsolete. I would of preferred to have factory bluetooth but GM was holding out on us at the time in an attempt to try and force feed onstar service on their customers. I was hoping that maybe someone had cracked some kind of code that would unlock the phone feature to make it usable without onstar, but I guess it was just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Joe - I agree but GM goal is to maximize Onstar revenue one way or another. Truthfully, we had it for the first year and found we didn't use the service nor the phone much at all. Hence no renewal. Sorry Onstar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mikemu, I know what you are saying. The problem is that GM has a long history of turning off its customers, and this is just another example. The car is actually my wifes, and I just liked the fact that she could easily make calls from the integrated, verizon compatible, hands free phone that was built into the car. The fact that GM wants me to pay every month, just to have the priviledge of continuing to use the phone in the manner we have come accustom to, irritates me. I just wish that GM would get the point that sometimes meeting your customers half way, goes a long way towards retaining market share. Unfortunately, examples like this is why GM sits at Deaths door.

·
Registered
158 Posts
JoeShmow said:
I would of preferred to have factory bluetooth but GM was holding out on us at the time in an attempt to try and force feed onstar service on their customers. I was hoping that maybe someone had cracked some kind of code that would unlock the phone feature to make it usable without onstar, but I guess it was just wishful thinking.
Well there's still hope that we can one day replace our OnStar module with one that has Bluetooth. The rumor is that it's out there, but I haven't heard of anyone actually getting it to work.

I'm crossing my fingers (but not holding my breath).

·
Registered
635 Posts
JoeShmow said:
Mikemu, I know what you are saying. The problem is that GM has a long history of turning off its customers, and this is just another example. The car is actually my wifes, and I just liked the fact that she could easily make calls from the integrated, verizon compatible, hands free phone that was built into the car. The fact that GM wants me to pay every month, just to have the priviledge of continuing to use the phone in the manner we have come accustom to, irritates me. I just wish that GM would get the point that sometimes meeting your customers half way, goes a long way towards retaining market share. Unfortunately, examples like this is why GM sits at Deaths door.
Did you know when you got yours that you could connect it to your verizon plan or did you learn that after?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Khansen, I did know about the verizon hook up prior to purchase, although I wasn't sure about if it was dependant on onstar subscription. I did ask the saleperson about it and he wasn't sure. I didn't push the issue because the deal wasn't dependant on it, we had already decided on the Acadia regardless. The point I was trying to make about GM, is that any good company needs to be proactive and not reactive as it pertains to current and future customers. American car companies in general, have been reactive. Instead of setting the bar they tend to be late to the party. Bluetooth in GM cars is an example of that. Hooking my car phone to verizon wasn't the ideal solution, seperate number plus verizon fees, but I found it exceptable. Being forced to pay for onstar in addition to the other drawbacks is just asking too much for what already is a less than ideal solution.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I'm with Joe on this one. GM has never cared about the customer. Their car quality has greatly improved over the years but not their customer service.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm not 100% up on the technology. Does the OnStar phone part work through cell towers or is it satellite based?

If it works like a cell phone, it would be logical to expect it could be added to a plan just like another phone you'd buy.

If it is satellite based, then I could see it requiring it's own subscription since it would be on a different network.

BTW, I feel the same way about the satellite radio- we have hundreds of Sirius channels on our TV setup that we never use (turning on the tv to listen to audio?). I'd rather pay less for the TV service and do away with them (not an option) or be able to transfer the service to my vehicles with satellite radio, especially since Sirius and XM merged.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I'm not 100% up on the technology. Does the OnStar phone part work through cell towers or is it satellite based?

If it works like a cell phone, it would be logical to expect it could be added to a plan just like another phone you'd buy.
OnStar uses the Verizon Wireless Network. So it's a terrestrial based cell tower network. Not satellite. Though there are some new service providers looking into delivering CDMA services over satellite – and providing a combined terrestrial/satellite network – so you’ll have 100% coverage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am guessing there is a deal between Verizon and OnStar, in which OnStar pays for the usage of Verizon's network to allow for the vehicle phone to connect, and in turn bills you $x,xxx.xx for 30 minutes of usage. It is probably just as much a Verizon thing as it is an OnStar thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
omg, onstar doesn't have to pay verizon for me to use the phone, because I had to add the phone to my verizon plan and I had to pay verizon on my own, in the form of a monthly bill. The problem is that I used the phone in this way(with verizon) since I bought the car. A few months after my free subscription to onstar expired, onstar communicated with my vehicle and disabled the phone. Thank you GM.

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts
It sounds like someone needs to contact their providers to straighten this thing out. Wasn't there a law passed years ago about transferring cell phones around the various systems?
???

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Never should have added that phone if you had no intention of keeping OnStar. The entire arrangement with the phone and OnStar is absurd.

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts
Don't the phones in the Onstar package have an ESID (I think that's the code) that can be activated over another carrier? I'd be interested in knowing that, even though I have a 'cheapy' Onstar package with Verizon as the cell carrier. Does anyone here really have the answer to that?
???

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Interesting thought but if it can be activated with another carrier and work why couldn't you do the same with Verizon minus OnStaripoff?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts