GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please be patient!!!!

I am the owner of a 2007 Acadia. My wife's girlfriend also purchased an Acadia. I know we have the SLT package with "HID" headlights. Our headlights emits is a yellowish brown color. My wifes friends acadia emits very bright white/bluish color that you see on the imported sports cars. I am sorry if this has been asked before but are there two versions of headlights? And if there are two versions does it pay to go the dealer and ask for a change? Just asking. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
395 Posts
To confirm that you actually have HID lights. Turn on the brights. Does the outer lamp stay on and switch to brighter (HID) or do both the outer and inner lamps come on (non-HID).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not to be too confusing it looks like I have both lambs on. It has the circular projector on both units kinda of what you see on the commercials and pictures of the car. Maybe they are halogen? It does seem brighter it just has the yellowish hue not that bright white light. I am just confused cause I see so many cars that do have the HID system and they have the same type of housing that we have in my acadia. When I saw my wife's friend car they did not have the same housing in the DLR but when nighttime hit they have had that white/blue headlamp. Thanks, I am still confused what we have.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My understanding is that the HID's on an Acadia are actually bi-level, meaning that the outer lamps switch from high to low beam and the inner lamps are for Daytime Running Lights (DRL). The standard halogens are DRL and low beam on the outer lamps and high beams on the inner lamps. The yellowish color also seems to indicate that you actually have the standard halogens and not HID's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I just found another post in a roundabout way told me what you just said. Thanks for the reply. Now my next question is how hard would it be to outfit my Acadia with HID's? I don't know if I am going to do this I just thought I would ask. Also the halogens that I am running are brighter because of the projectors? So in a way they do have a HID look without the HID. I am very new at this and I beg your forgiveness on the stupid questions. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is a guy on here "Xenon Depot" selling HID kits. I considered upgrading mine but there is a possible issue with the DRL's that I am not sure has been resolved. There is a thread titled "Hello to All" (I think) that discusses the aftermarket HID's. (I had some offline corrspondence with Steve at XD and he seemed very professional). At this point, I am interested but waiting to see if the issues can be resolved before I dive in. It is also a major job to change the bulbs- possibly requiring complete disassembly of the front bodywork to get at the bulbs- so I don't think it's something you can just try out without it being a big project.

BTW, what part of LI are you from. (I'm originally from Stony Brook)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good idea, I just stumbled across that post and was reading thinking this is it!! Well I am going to wait. What I have is not that bad and considering possibly voiding the warranty on the car does not sound like a good idea. I am pretty impressed with the projectors I have and must admit they do give off more light then your standard halogens. I put after-market HID's in a 2002 Nissan Xterra and must admit I think I see more light with the system in the acadia and that was pretty bright!!

Thanks for your help.

I live in Port Washington, Nassau County. After living briefly in Long Beach and New Jersey. :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason that your Halogens may appear brighter than standard Halogens would be for 2 reasons.
1. the Projector Optics do focus the light more precisely.
2. the wattage of the bulb.

The easiest way to be certain whether you have HID's or Halogens (my bet is on Halogens), is in the evening, (turn off you AUTO light switch) pull up against a wall or garage door (about 5-10 feet off), turn on your lights. HID's will emit a very distintive Blue color originally... as they heat up to temp the light will get gradually whiter.
Halogens will simply look like normal headlights... somewhat yellow unless there is no HID's nearby. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts