GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many instances when I could not get my brand new 2008 SLT2 to start!
I had the vehicle for only three weeks the first time that this happened, and it has currently been towed to the shop three times. The vehicle will be two months old on Nov. 21st. The technicians have told me that is was delivered with a "bad" battery that was replaced, but I have still been unable to get the vehicle started on four separate occasions since then. Sometimes it will run when started using the autostart, but once it shuts off, I can't get it to restart even when trying manually. Currently, they are trying to convince me to take the vehicle since they can start it and cannot find a problem. If anyone has any information for me, I would be grateful. I'm really frustrated and am thinking about returning the vehicle under the lemon law regulations. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cant help you much there. I have never had a starting problem. You might want to search the site though as I do recall issues with dead batteries for sure. I think there was somethin about starting too but i believe it all tied back to a battery drain of some kind.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Of the few problems being reported with the Acadia, it is this "not starting" issue that concerns me most. Mine has been fine so far, but I do have some random thoughts about it.

1) Other threads have been titled battery issue. But I'm not so sure it is only the battery, or the battery at all.
2) I have seen two solutions from GM. One was a air bag issue that caused the drain, and the other was a heated washer fluid switch that caused the drain. But based on what I am seeing, they have not found all the issues.
3) I wonder how long those of us that have not had a start problem can go before we can assume we are in the clear. For those of you that have had problems, how long did you own the car and for how many miles before the problem cropped up?
4) I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I park mine in my garage Sunday night and then bring it back out Friday night, unless we are taking a road trip. That gives it 5 days of sitting just about every week. I've had it 2 months and 2,000 miles with no issues, but when will I feel confident? I pity those who actually drive it everyday and keep it charged up. Perhaps theirs is bad and they just need to let it sit 3 days to find out. But how many people can let their car sit for 3 days? Not many.

I love the Acadia, and knew about this battery issue when I bought mine, and took that risk because I liked the car so well. But I do look forward to the day when GM has this one figured out totally.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The 07 that I had: battery issues with about 4000 miles and 4 months old. It happened on several occasions with no rhyme or reason. Battery was replaced finally, but I did not have it long enough to see if that solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
vic49 said:
The 07 that I had battery issues with had about 4000 miles and 4 months old. It happened on several occasions with no rhyme or reason.
Did they do anything to fix it? How long since your last time dying?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
vic49 said:
they replaced the 07 with an 08 after many issues.
I'm glad to hear that you got a new one. Hopefully we both will be able to say we never had an electrical problem with our '08s. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GAR said:
Of the few problems being reported with the Acadia, it is this "not starting" issue that concerns me most. Mine has been fine so far, but I do have some random thoughts about it.

1) Other threads have been titled battery issue. But I'm not so sure it is only the battery, or the battery at all.
2) I have seen two solutions from GM. One was a air bag issue that caused the drain, and the other was a heated washer fluid switch that caused the drain. But based on what I am seeing, they have not found all the issues.
3) I wonder how long those of us that have not had a start problem can go before we can assume we are in the clear. For those of you that have had problems, how long did you own the car and for how many miles before the problem cropped up?
4) I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I park mine in my garage Sunday night and then bring it back out Friday night, unless we are taking a road trip. That gives it 5 days of sitting just about every week. I've had it 2 months and 2,000 miles with no issues, but when will I feel confident? I pity those who actually drive it everyday and keep it charged up. Perhaps theirs is bad and they just need to let it sit 3 days to find out. But how many people can let their car sit for 3 days? Not many.

I love the Acadia, and knew about this battery issue when I bought mine, and took that risk because I liked the car so well. But I do look forward to the day when GM has this one figured out totally.
I had a sit down with the owner of the dealership and the service manage today and they both are "perplexed." They insist that the new battery that I was given should fix the problem and they still have not found any other explanation for the vehicle not starting. My Acadia has been sitting in the shop since the 26th of October, since I refused to take the vehicle back without discussing my concerns and getting a guarantee that the dealership will take the vehicle back and provide assistance through GM if the problem occurs again. I drove it home today with this guarantee, and I'm hopeful, but not confident that this problem will not occur again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
GAR said:
vic49 said:
they replaced the 07 with an 08 after many issues.
I'm glad to hear that you got a new one. Hopefully we both will be able to say we never had an electrical problem with our '08s. :thumb:
That's what I'm praying for. There is someone on here that IS having problems with their Aug. or Sept. 08 battery though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have had a couple instances where I had to turn it over 2 or 3 times to get it to start. Not a battery problem as the starter is cranking well. The car just wont start. So far it has started up after 2-3 tries and I am hoping it isnt something that gets worse. I am used to it just starting right up on the first crank. Anyone else with this issue?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Keith said:
I have had a couple instances where I had to turn it over 2 or 3 times to get it to start. Not a battery problem as the starter is cranking well. The car just wont start. So far it has started up after 2-3 tries and I am hoping it isnt something that gets worse. I am used to it just starting right up on the first crank. Anyone else with this issue?
I was out the town for 3.5 days and my Acadia start with no problems. I used remote control for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '08 (purchased in August)with the dead battery issue. The car is in the dealer now.(2nd time in 2 months) Based on my personal experence, Its not a battery issue. If it was, the car would be hard to start every time you start it, especally after you let it sit a bit (like overnight). There is a drain. I never seen a battery go dead overnight unless it has a major amperage draw.
I've noticed mine goes dead after my wife takes it to the car wash. Maybe something is getting wet.The last time this happened, I jumped the car,drove it around for a week then drove it to the dealer. Like I said, not a battery problem.
Anyone else noticed when they have a problem? :banghead:

·
Registered
21 Posts
When the car fails to start, does your check engine light come on? Is there something that is recorded (like a code or something) that the service people can check into?

Mia

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's '07 is having this problem. The dealership suggested that the sunroof leak (which we believe is now finally resolved) was allowing the electronics to get wet and causing something to stay on after the vehicle was switched off, thus draining the battery.

After the leak issue was resolved, we went over a month without any starting issues until it happened again last week. The vehicle was simply dead. She couldn't even unlock the door with her remote.

They came out to the house, jumped the vehicle and started it right up. They took it to the shop and an analysis produced no error codes so, of course, they couldn't do anything or tell us anything other than that our vehicle is running now.

We're shopping for new vehicles now that we simply do not feel that ours is reliable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you turn the key in the ignition, does the engine turn over at all? Is there any sound? I also had a similar problem once when I used the remote start. It was a security setting that prevented the thing from starting. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then tried again -with the key, not remote start, and it went fine.

The thing that caused it was that when the engine was running after the remote start, I put the key in the ignition and turned it too far. You only should turn the key a little bit when using the remote start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From all I have seen from some of the posts, I was a little worried about my 07 Acadia not starting up after me being 2 months out of the country. I came back and it started up right away. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
ttczstaples said:
Hello All,

I have an 09 jewel red that was bought back in Sept. 09. on 4 different occassions the car would not start on the first try.
There is now security flashing on the dash and everything turns on electrical, except the car won't start. It just happened today for my wife and after 10 mins. of trying it started. She drove it to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic and couldn't find anything wrong with the car. The dealer's mechanic is taking it home tonight to try and see if the car will not start for him (and I hope it does not start for him). They said, that with out knowing what's wrong with the car, they wouldn't know what to fix. Please advise if anyone has any new info with this issue.

TTCZ
Duplicate post; please delete one so we can all follow this issue; I linked your other post below

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=7097.msg93613#msg93613

·
Registered
6 Posts
:2007 Vehicle not Starting!

looking at # 3 starter!!

Car had a started replaced last year because it wouldnt start. Turn the key and just "CLICLk"
2 months ago I had to have all 3 timing chains replace becaused they were stretched beyond the point that the computer could compensate for the timing.
when they tried to start the car/ notning happened just "CLICK"
Now Im waiting for a tow truck because the "CLICK" has returned.
Anyone else having these starter issues?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Battery. When a battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the engine over, it will just click. Have them load test the battery and replace if needed. It wouldn't be unheard of for it to need replacement at this age.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
that was true....
until....
Ive been having trouble with my 07 Impala.
It will click sometimes.
Battery is good- Its fairly new.
From forums- It appears that it may be a connector issue.
Seems that the trans has a connector with 20 wires going into it.
one of the inputs wait for a signal of 5 volts or so- if it doesnt see it it cant output certain voltage.
and thats when you get a click.
So far- it clicks- but when you turn key again- it starts.
I was ready to replace the starter.
but 1st I cleaned ground cable (as per some tech bulletin)... still clicks.
So now Ill wait for it to really really start clicking all the time.
Right now its so very random. That I wont even take it in.
Even remote start will sometimes flash the lights- and then click- about 10 seconds later- you hear another click- like the cranking cycle ending.
But like I said-- its so random I cant replicate it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts