GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!

I was told that my 2014 GMC Acadia needs the valves replaced. He said it was better to change the engine because of cost and if I do that I have to worry about my transmission. All I see is $$ being spend on a car I haven't paid off! Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
20,838 Posts
"He" may be misleading you. If the car is driveable, take it somewhere else for a second opinion (preferably a GM dealer). There will be some power train warranty left on it if the car has been in service for less than 5 years and has less than 100K miles. Factory power train warranty is good for 5 yrs. or 100K miles, whichever comes first, regardless of ownership.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
HELP!!

I was told that my 2014 GMC Acadia needs the valves replaced. He said it was better to change the engine because of cost and if I do that I have to worry about my transmission. All I see is $$ being spend on a car I haven't paid off! Any advice?
How many miles on the engine? How did the tech determine it needed valves? Is this a dealer tech or your neighborhood tech?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Im wondering if its like the other owner on the forums.

had misfire issues etc.
took it to a shop. Mechanic checked and found some cylinders had low compression and also recommended and engine change.
before he spent $thousands.....We recommended Techron and CRC intake valve cleaner 1st- to see if it was sticky valves/ carbon buildup.
A month ago- he came back- and I think it was 2 yrs since the issue-- and he said the cleaners got rid of the carbon and its been running great.

Reactions: StacyCarbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it has 145,000 on it. They cleaned it but it shakes like crazy, misfiring. The cleaning took care of part of the misfiring but still misfiring on 2 codes.
the engine light is also blinking. local shop

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
it has 145,000 on it. They cleaned it but it shakes like crazy, misfiring. The cleaning took care of part of the misfiring but still misfiring on 2 codes.
the engine light is also blinking. local shop
Have they told you what codes are being recorded?

If it were mine, I would take it to a GMC dealer for a second opinion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Once I experienced my 2007 Acadia misfire, stabilization light on, and the engine shaking sometimes. Many GM cars on this year models having problem with oil consumption, oil in the air intake, oil in the valve intake... that caused carbon deposit or built-up on valves. After I was tired of keep cleaning my throttle body, the air tube. One day, my car shaking like crazy while driving at a stop sign, I decided to replace new design valve cover gasket. I even modified the PCV by drilling bigger holes. But the car still consumes oil. My last solution to minimize the carbon built-up was to install two oil catch cans. One on the front pcv breather, and another on the back pcv. Check on youtube to get see some video. I consider installing the oil catch can is the best solution so far as I no longer having issue with misfire. On the other hands, my car is more responsive and better gas mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can get the heads rebuilt and have a basically new engine. Or you can spend all that money replacing it with a used engine of unknown provenance with who-knows-what problems (along with said, wierd, "transmission issue).

In any event, for a major issue like this, get a second opinion (from a GMC dealer) and maybe a third from another independent.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You can get the heads rebuilt and have a basically new engine. Or you can spend all that money replacing it with a used engine of unknown provenance with who-knows-what problems (along with said, wierd, "transmission issue).

In any event, for a major issue like this, get a second opinion (from a GMC dealer) and maybe a third from another independent.
I don't agree that just rebuilding the heads gives one basically a new engine. She will still have many parts with 145k miles on them and the possibility of sludge filled oil passages in the block.

If a second opinion from a GMC tech confirms the engine is shot, it may cost a few more bucks but more cost effective to replace with with something that comes with a warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have a 2014 Acadia SLT1 that I just bought (used) on Sept 2nd. Drove it two weeks and the engine quit. No warning, no shuddering just like someone switched off the motor. Had it towed to our local mechanic who scoped it yesterday. Turns out a valve went ( not sure exactly what he meant my husband spoke to him) and went into the cylinder. 112, 000 miles. We ordered a GM rebuilt engine with a 3 year warranty but its going to take 2 weeks to complete. I am just bummed because we JUST bought the car. Live and learn...had we accepted the warranty they offered for $2000 we wouldn't be out $8500.00

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It did not come with any sort of warranty? Most dealers in my area give a 30 day warranty. Did you contact the dealer you bought the vehicle from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought As Is with no warranty. They offered us a two year warranty for $2000 but my husband declined. In California there is no used car lemon law if they state As Is no warranty. I did contact a salesman at the dealer's but they seemed pretty resolute in the decision that it is on me. It was a hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We bought As Is with no warranty. They offered us a two year warranty for $2000 but my husband declined. In California there is no used car lemon law if they state As Is no warranty. I did contact a salesman at the dealer's but they seemed pretty resolute in the decision that it is on me. It was a hard lesson learned.
Sorry to hear. For reference, even if there was a lemon law, that refers to a problem that is recurring and hasn't been resolved after a multitude of tries, not a one time issue.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Have you confirmed the dealer you bought it from is not a "buy here, pay here" dealer? I've read that in California those are required to offer some sort of minimal warranty.

If not, as you said, lesson learned. I would never buy a modern vehicle without some sort of warranty. Hopefully the replacement engine treats you well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"If not, as you said, lesson learned. I would never buy a modern vehicle without some sort of warranty. Hopefully the replacement engine treats you well".

Yep I agree. If I look at the bright side though I now will have an engine rebuilt from GM with 0 miles and a 3 year warranty.Transmission seems fine and I am not one to jump on the accelerator so I should get plenty of years ( knock on wood) out of this car. I love how safe I feel in it. I had an 06 Ford Mustang brand new off the lot for years that I had zero issues with even after 212K miles. Only things besides maintenance were one thermostat, 2 batteries, and the U joint. Guess I was spoiled lol. I am looking forward to driving my new baby soon. Oh and that backup camera!!!! I feel spoiled now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts