GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When our 2018 Acadia came without a CD player we were told we had to use either our smart phones, an MP3 Player or a USB flash drive to play our music. The flash drive seemed the best option since it was small and could remain in the vehicle at all times. Neither the GMC dealership nor the owner's manual were any help in how to configure and load a USB with music but I finally figured it out. It took some time to transfer my vast CD collection to the USB drive but finally got it done. For the most part it works pretty good, although sometimes it's a bit temperamental having to stop and start the the engine a time or two before it recognizes the USB drive.

So now I'm trying to create playlists that will work on the USB. I've tried everything I can think of including Apple playlists, Microsoft playlists, text playlists, etc. I can get the Infotainment System to recognize and display a playlist but just won't play the listed music. I even called GMC and they were no help. Said if I figured it out to let them know as others were also asking about this. So has anyone been able to create a USB playlist that will work with the Infotainment System? Could use some help with this.

(mod edit - spelling correction, Infortainment > Infotainment)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't tried play lists as such, rather I just organized the music in individual folders corresponding to the original CDs. Works for me because I normally listen to music randomly or by album (CD).

·
Registered
961 Posts
I do that as well. Since I have the folders from previous CDs I had burned before using USB.
In some cases. . . I have merged and combined folders since the "CD" folders were only about 80 minutes of tunes. The shuffle feature is nice also to mix things up at times.

·
Registered
212 Posts
...I can get the Infotainment System to recognize and display a playlist but just won't play the listed music...
Out of curiosity I checked what the infotainment manual said about playlists and from what I read I get the impression maybe it can't be done (would defeat the purpose of a playlist if that's the case though).

From the manual:

Playlists:

1. Touch to view the playlists
stored on the USB.
2. Touch a playlist to view the list
of all songs in that playlist.
3. Touch a song from the list to
begin playback.

Supported Playlist extensions are
m3u, pls, and wpl.

Makes no mention of 'playing' a playlist, only selecting a song from it. I really hadn't given it much thought before this and assumed that it would start the playlist at the selected song and continue from there but maybe that's not the case. :unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - I've loaded my CD's into folders on the USB drive as several of you mentioned doing. I've also down-loaded lots of music from the web for which I create folders and group songs in some logical order. Our local library was providing free down-loads from the Freegal music site which I really liked but was discontinued due to lack of use by patrons. I've also learned how to edit song properties (metadata) so it displays properly on the Infotainment touch screen i.e. song title, artist, album, genre, etc.

Since I don't like all songs in all folders/albums or by all artists I prefer to create playlists containing my favorite songs. Just can't get this to work with the Infotainment system. A work around for the playlist issue is to create a folder for each new playlist and give it a playlist title i.e. "Blues Playlist". I then copy favorite songs into that folder. This works okay but is not a true playlist since I'm actually duplicating songs already existing in other folders on the USB. Takes more memory that way but which is not a big deal considering the low cost and high capacity of today's USB devices. I find that a 16 GB USB drive is adequate for my needs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A work around for the playlist issue is to create a folder for each new playlist and give it a playlist title i.e. "Blues Playlist". I then copy favorite songs into that folder. This works okay but is not a true playlist...
Neat approach - I'll have to try that.

I find that a 16 GB USB drive is adequate for my needs.
Yeah, I'm using a 32GB drive myself and using less than 20%. More than enough space as it currently has over 65 hours of music.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Neat approach - I'll have to try that.

Yeah, I'm using a 32GB drive myself and using less than 20%. More than enough space as it currently has over 65 hours of music.
I use the 32gb drives also. I bought a number of those micro drive the size of a thumbnail. once plugged into a USB port they are hardly visible. I just wish the Acadia had the 5 data/slash power USB ports my Colorado has.
I do exactly the same as country boy does. I pick and merge songs for a particular genre that I like into a favorite folder that I name.
I also use mostly wav files since 32gb can handle a LOT of even the larger file sizes and the fidelity is better than even high bit rate mp3.
When I rip or convert it is always to wav. If I ever want to burn a CD, wav also works more quickly as the conversion to cda is really just a minor container function and full fidelity in both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't mention this earlier but I also learned that it's possible to create sub-folders under a main folder and which can be accessed through the folder view feature. For example, I can create a folder designated "Bob's Playlists" and under that create as many sub-folders as I wish, each designated as a "Playlist" for a specific music genere or however else I wish to arrange them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also learned that it's possible to create sub-folders under a main folder and which can be accessed through the folder view feature.
Yep, do that quite a bit. Usually by artist with different albums as sub-folders. Sometimes by genre. It's also possible, if you didn't already know, to play randomly within the entire USB drive or randomly within a folder/sub-folder. In both cases the system will play within all folders and sub-folders. Not sure how many levels deep you can go with the hierarchy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's also possible, if you didn't already know, to play randomly within the entire USB drive or randomly within a folder/sub-folder.
I've used the "randomize" feature several times, but wasn't too impressed. It seemed to always play the same songs in the same order - not truly random. Plus, it seemed to select songs near the beginning of the list and and seldom went really deep down in the list. Guess I need to try this again to see if I can understand how the "Randomize" algorithm is actually working.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It seemed to always play the same songs in the same order - not truly random. Plus, it seemed to select songs near the beginning of the list and and seldom went really deep down in the list...
Can't say I've noticed that - but then there are some people (my wife?) who claim I'm pretty much oblivious to everything. o_O I'll have to start paying a bit of attention to how the shuffle feature works, given the size and number of songs on my drive that could end up being an exercise in futility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts