GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never used the 110 outlet in my Acadia, but it occurred to me that it would be a good ‘backup generator’ for my fridge in the event of a power failure. The owner’s manual is woefully limited on the usage description. ….. 150 watts max, and not recommended for ‘peak power’ devices like refrigerators.
It appears the outlet is considered an accessory, and will only operate 10 minutes after engine shutdown. If true, I guess it is designed to work only with the engine running. (Which makes perfect sense after I think about it …… duh!)
Does anybody on the forum have any words of wisdom / experience in this matter?
I couldn’t find any threads on the topic.

·
Super Moderator
19,661 Posts
You'll have to read the power requirements of whatever you're plugging into the outlet. Don't exceed the 'max' power available or you're sure to pop a fuse/circuit breaker. I've only ever used it to power a laptop computer, but it's capable of a bit more. Doubtful it would be a good idea to plug in a blender, electric drill, or some other motor-driven device like that, unless it's one specially equipped with a low draw motor.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I do not know where you live, but if it in in an area that has hurricanes or some place where long power outages are common, I would get a backup generator. Or even a smaller one that could handle your refrigerator and give you fans to help keep cool.

I am in hurricane country so I have a whole house backup.

What year Acadia's have 110 outlet? What good is it if it can only be used 10 minutes after engine off?

George

·
Super Moderator
19,661 Posts
... It appears the outlet is considered an accessory, and will only operate 10 minutes after engine shutdown. If true, I guess it is designed to work only with the engine running. ...
The engine doesn't have to be running to use it. It's available with the ignition in 'ACCESSORY' or 'ON' position. Be careful, though. It'll drain the battery fairly quickly if power needed is near max output. Have a jump box handy if you forget to run the vehicle to charge the battery. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. My manual states that the Accessory function will shut off after 10 minutes. I'm not sure if this is a new 'feature', but it makes it difficult impossible to listen to the sound system if the vehicle is not running.
As you noted, using 110 would drain the battery fairly quickly, so leaving the engine running would be the only way to use the vehicle as a power source. ............ As George noted, a stand alone generator would be a better choice (except for short term emergency requirements).

·
Super Moderator
19,661 Posts
True. My manual states that the Accessory function will shut off after 10 minutes. I'm not sure if this is a new 'feature', but it makes it difficult impossible to listen to the sound system if the vehicle is not running.
Likely something added when they went to push button ignition switches. Time can be probably be extended if the button is pushed to ACCESSORY or ON mode before the shut off occurs. Kind of a pain if you asked me, but such is life in the "modern" world. LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There are a number of small, fairly quiet generators sold these days. I've seen them at street markets, farmer's markets, and other places where vendors need power for small coolers and other equipment.
They are usually around 1,200 to maybe 1,600 watts and noise level is so low you don't really hear them til a few feet away.
One of those would handle a small refrigerator as long as the surge is within the generator capability.
Not worth damaging or stretching the capacity of the Acadia inverter not to mention having to run the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have experienced using the 110v outlet to power a 55" LCD TV at a tailgate. Never again.

I don't know the exact wattage or amperage pull of the TV, but with the engine off, the outlet would only keep the TV powered on for anywhere between 10 seconds - 3 minutes before a low battery shutdown would occur. The battery was not new, but certainly was still in the prime of its lifespan.

This seemed really excessive for a TV to drain a car battery that quickly, but this was the result time after time we tried to run it off a battery charge.

Ultimately, we ended up leaving the motor running the entire time which DID power the TV, plus a laptop computer, the entire time without issue. However, obviously not very efficient.

Based on this experience, I'm guessing there is no chance that you could run a fridge off the 110v outlet even with the engine running. A compressor would surely overload the outlet and who knows if that would just blow a fuse or could it cause other damage?

Get a generator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure by the previous posts, you have determined that trying to run a fridge off that outlet is not a good idea. Just to give you a little more information for future load considerations; the max watt ratings must be followed. Otherwise, several things can happen, most are undesirable. First, you may blow the current protection device (fuse, circuit breaker), which hopefully happens in an overload. Secondly, if the protection device doesn't operate quickly, you will likely fry the inverter. If the second scenario happens, the inverter could get hot enough to cause other damage. The device you're trying to run may also be damaged by operating below it's normal voltage range.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have experienced using the 110v outlet to power a 55" LCD TV at a tailgate. Never again.

I don't know the exact wattage or amperage pull of the TV, but with the engine off, the outlet would only keep the TV powered on for anywhere between 10 seconds - 3 minutes before a low battery shutdown would occur. The battery was not new, but certainly was still in the prime of its lifespan.

This seemed really excessive for a TV to drain a car battery that quickly, but this was the result time after time we tried to run it off a battery charge.
Get a generator.
Indeed. . . most any 55" LED/LCD TV will draw anywhere from 130 watts to 165 - 200 watts depending on how high the LED backlighting is set. I am surprised it even ran the TV for 10 minutes. Even if the TV only needed 150 watts. . . that was maxing out the inverter and attempting to draw or exceed 12 amps off the battery.
The 120 volt outlet is a convenience feature designed to be used for low power devices during normal vehicles driving or operation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts