GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/color]
Hello all,

First-time poster here, although been a member since I purchased my 2007 Gold Mist Metallic SLT from a rental car company in November 2007.

Just would like to inquire if any forum member here has attempted to use acetone as a gas additive. This is indeed the agent also known as nail polish remover. Before I continue, I would like to give my disclaimer by saying that I never tried it myself, nor at this time condone using it as a gas additive. Having said that, I will incur no lialbility should anyone choose to experiment acetone as a gas additive. I will follow up with another email in the case I try it personally. I'm merely inquiring if anyone has ever tried to do this, and if so, what results came of it. I came across two interesting articles mentioning this topic, and how it supposedly is a benefit. In this day and age of sick gas prices, I just would like to throw it out there to see if anyone has done research on this to their and our favorite car, the Acadia.

Here are the links to the articles:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/451495/acetone_the_amazing_gasoline_additive.html?cat=27

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/322465/gas_saver_100_acetone_as_a_fuel_additive.html?cat=27

Hope everyone finds these as interesting reads. Would appreciate any and all feedback.[/color]

Proud owner of:
2007 Acadia 2WD SLT Gold Mist Metallic, 18" chrome Saturn Outlook 6-spoke rims, ebony cloth interior.
1989 Nissan 240SX, Cherry Red Pearl, Eibach springs, 1.5 inch drop, MagnaFlow muffler with Sebring Tip

·
Registered
217 Posts
Having never heard of this idea before, I put it in the same category as water4gas and all those other gas saving ideas that live out on the internet, but never seem to do what they claim and thus never reach being used by the mainstream car owner. There is a surprising amount of information on the internet about this and the idea seems to have been around for several years. However, in a quick search I couldn't find anything published by a believable source with some real scientific data to support it There is sure a lot of hype out there about it, though.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

As for me, I'm not going to make a test vehicle out of my $40K Acadia just to try this out.

I'd like to hear from someone with some knowledge in the chemical/fuels engineering field can make some comments about this miracle MPG improver. :help:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snoguy said:
Having never heard of this idea before, I put it in the same category as water4gas and all those other gas saving ideas that live out on the internet, but never seem to do what they claim and thus never reach being used by the mainstream car owner. There is a surprising amount of information on the internet about this and the idea seems to have been around for several years. However, in a quick search I couldn't find anything published by a believable source with some real scientific data to support it There is sure a lot of hype out there about it, though.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

As for me, I'm not going to make a test vehicle out of my $40K Acadia just to try this out.

I'd like to hear from someone with some knowledge in the chemical/fuels engineering field can make some comments about this miracle MPG improver. :help:
Thanks for your reply, Snoguy. I am very curious, but like you, i'm a little resistant in using my Acadia as a guinea pig. But I'm still surfing the Internet for more info. Will update periodically upon finding any new info. Yes, I would also like to hear from someone specializing in the chemical/fuels field. I did read though that acetone is already being added to fuels in some fuel brands though.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
Read the post from www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/. Interesting reading and interesting home page.
Rather then deal with the fact that most of the people reporting were using cars 10 years or older. One simple question comes to mind. If a oil company could get better mpg's by simply adding a tiny bit of acetone to their gas - wouldn't they do so?. It would be a tremendous (and very cheap) advertising attention getter. "Our gas gives you more miles per gallon".
I would guess that if the stuff really does work, that it evaporates very quickly and only works for a short period of time (if it really does work).
I don't think the small amounts involved would hurt your engine, but I am not about to try and find out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmm very interesting concept, but has anybody out there compared the price of acetone to gasoline? I think it is a whole lot more expensive.

Secondly on the gas mileage issue to put it into about 3 simple words for all Acadia owners and potential owner "It Sucks Badly".

Having said that I recently purchased a K & N air filter and I immediately got an increase in mileage. Prior to the K&N highway mileage at the absolute best was 11.3 liters / 100 kilometers 20.82 MPG) (sorry I live in Canada nothing to be sorry aboot, eh?) but it was an average of 13.3 liters / 100 kilometers 17.69 MPG.

Now with the K&N, on the recent highway trip, was as low as 9.7 liters/100 kilometers 24.25 MPG but is seemed to average out over (769 kilometers) to about 10.7 liters / 100 kilometers 21.98 MPG.

Haven't driven it enough in the city to see what has happened but prior to the K&N city driving was usually in the 14 - 16 liters / 100 kilometers 16.8~14.7 MPG.

Seems like the K&N made a difference, but the filter cost me $65.00.

Liters per 100KM/US MPG conversion & positive self-reinforcement by Blue_2009_SLT2[/color], eh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have used acetone in my Audi and it did increase mileage 10-20%, but you have to get special containers if you don’t want to carry around a big jug. I was leery of trying it, and had my father-in-law try it on his cars and it worked on all of them. The problem I see with oil companies adding it to gasoline is that it evaporates very quickly. If you don’t go through a tank in less than two weeks there wouldn’t be any acetone left in your tank. I quit adding it because I was tried of filling up little bottles all the time and carrying them in the car to put in at every fill up

·
Registered
614 Posts
A GM engineer I know used a fuel additive that claimed to increase her gas mileage, and she believed it to be acetone. She tested it in her personal vehicle and said it didn't make a noticible difference in MPG, and that her Tracker seemed to experience spark knock when going up hills while using the additive. She drives on the freeway to work and back so she goes through a lot of gasoline. If I can find the link related to her test I'll post it, she did the test for a local TV station along with an interview on the subject.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Here's one report from a Kettering University professor on the subject;

Randy Conat does the acetone test By Randy ConatFLINT (WJRT) (WJRT) -- (03/01/06)-- With the price of gas threatening to go even higher, we're all looking for ways to save money at the fuel pumps.
Prompted by what they see on the Internet, some people hope to increase mileage by adding acetone to their gas.
Does it work and is it safe?
If you go to your favorite search engine and type in "acetone and gasoline," you'll find thousands of Web sites that mention the alleged advantages of mixing the two.

If you believe what you read, the acetone works by improving the fuel's ability to vaporize completely. The usual ratio recommended on the Internet is three-to-five ounces of acetone for every ten gallons on gas.
"They were showing some pretty dramatic improvements, up to 35% improvement in fuel economy," observed Dr. Greg Davis, from Kettering University.
Acetone is easy to find. You can get it at any hardware store. But can it really improve gas mileage and is it safe?
To find out, we went to the Mechanical Engineering Department at Kettering University, in Flint. Dr. Greg Davis thought it would be good experience for his students to verify the claims about acetone in the department's test engine, a Buick 3.8 liter V-6 that is equipped with all kinds of probes and sensors.
For several weeks the students experimented with various strengths of acetone in gasoline. The findings were disappointing.
"Our current preliminary data suggests essentially no improvement running acetone in the fuel," Davis said.
Professor Davis wasn't surprised. "If you notice, it's a very small amount and when you add a very small amount of anything to your fuel, you wouldn't expect a large impact. So it's not really a surprise today."
We wanted to see if it made a difference in a real world situation, so a student who knows what kind of mileage to expect from his Ford pickup and Volkswagen tried acetone in the gas. "The results, when you add three ounces per ten gallons, there were no effects," said Josh Goudzwaard.
Aside from having no effect on mileage, acetone could actually do harm by damaging hoses and fittings. Carmakers don't like acetone either.
"If they know you did it, they could void the warranty," Davis warned.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
There is a reliable saying .... "If it sounds to good to be true" ... :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
FWIW, one could always try this, https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx It has a money back guarantee. Not to many other products out there offer that. All you can lose is some of your time.

Gas just went up to $4.19 from $3.47 a gallon here in NC due to Ike. Amazing that it can go up so fast but comes down so slow. :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Some places tried the same thing here a few years back as far as the gas prices, then the Legislature made it a felony to price gouge during a state of emergency. The AG prosecuted a bunch of people. I haven't bought gas in a while, so I don't know the current price, but I did read OPEC was cutting production due to low oil prices.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What is worse rat, is it hasn't gone up here at all.

As for the additive thing, a friend of mine tried convincing me of the same thing. He swears it works, but is it worth the hassle...I dont think so. I doubt the impact is big enough, and have you seen what acetone does to certain rubbers. Not a chance I am willing to take.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yikes...I cringed when I read this post tag line. Stay away from gas additives, I recommend buying 3-4 tankfuls of premium quality gas (Sunoco Ultra, Amoco Premium, etc...) to get the same effect for about the same amount of money you would spend on the additive snake oils.

If I remember correctly we have 1 or 2 fellow Acadia forum members that live and breath this gas/oil additive stuff for a living, they probably can provide clarity.

Yikes...nail polish remover in my gas tank, now that would scare me.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
SEL - I could not agree more!! It is scary.

Do you think that the higher priced high octane fuels also have additional additives? I buy the Tier One gas most of the time and it was my understanding that it did not matter which octane you purchased, if you got the good additives you were good to go.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was under the semi-educated understanding that some of the premium fuels by top vendors cost more because of the additional additives they used to differentiate there product from other competitors.

Me personally, I just use the regular octane gas from the same local gas retailer and if I keep the vehicle beyond 55k miles, I will take to the dealer for a fuel injector service.

I tried all those additives at Pep Boys when I was young and they really didn't do a darn thing except empty my wallet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My neighbor just tried the HHO kit on his ford, which uses baking soda and water to produce hydrogen, and he is showing a 7 mile gain in his fuel mileage after a week of testing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Man he ought to get a patent on that real quick!! Most of the rest of the world can only get carbon dioxide from that reaction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts