GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I know most folks here are proud and happy owners who might not want to comment on this topic. However, I am on the research phase and could really use your feedback. I really like both the Acadia and the Outlook. I have mostly been waiting to test drive the 2008 Highlander to make a final decision, but am heavily leaning towards Acadia as it is.

In the mean time I have been reading this forum daily just to learn more and be prepared for the moment I put my order in.

So lately I am starting to get a bit concerned about the problem reports I have been reading about. People finding out flaws here and there with their vehicle. What now REALLY got me worried is that I am seeing a used Acadia market out there that I don't know if it is normal. If you search on Ebay right now there are 9 used Acadias for sale. Is that normal? Could that be dissatisfied owners? Even my local Saturn dealer had a used model for sale when I went to test drive the Outlook.

What do you folks think?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would say dont worry too much about the complaints. For the most part they are minor glitches or personal gripes IMO. Most of those problems were with the very first Acadias as well. Also, if you are totally satisfied with your Acadia you wont have much to talk about, thus will not post much if at all. I feel the forum naturally kind of gives you a false overall impression. I have had mine for a month (built 5/2007) and have no problems with it at all. No gripes either. Not even anything I would change for personal preference.

There was one poster who decided to sell his Acadia as he wanted something with more power. According to him, he sold it for more than he paid for it with the car having 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Federico, this is my first post and like yourself I'm planning on buying a 08 Acadia in the future. In th past I've looked at a Nissan Murano, did a search for problems on the Murano and found many. In my opinion it doesn't matter what you buy, there will be some small glitches. From reading this forum, I have not seen any major problems on the Acadia. Whether it be electronics, appliances or cars, nothing is perfect. I'm sure GMC is working constantly to workout any bugs their vehicles may have. From what I see there isn't many compared to other vehicles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Speaking for my own limited experience, as I have only had mine for two weeks, I can only say that I have not had a car so perfectly designed. I am not saying that there may not be problems...I hope not...but for now all I can say is I am very happy. I have an 08 and it seems to me that the transmission issues that may have existed seem to have been adjusted as I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. I love all the storage in the center console, love the way the center armrest adjusts, love the remote start, love the sport car feel of the leather seats, love the smart slide and the fold flat seats. The only minor complaint is I think the stereo sound isn't the best. It isn't bad, but not as great as I would have hoped and I do have the 10 speaker set up. I highly recommend the vehicle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think that "complaints" and "problems" appear greater than they are if you read this site. There are far more "personal" preference issues here that are listed as complaints or problems. Also, if you don't monitor this forum, every time you take your Acadia in for service, you will get caught up with TSBs, recalls, etc., and you may never notice that such work has been done. I've had mine since early March (now at 9K miles) and it has been basically flawless. Took it in this morning for its first "formal" service (had 2 prior oil changes) and they said they had to order parts for TSBs and they will be in next week. No big deal...and no different than any other vehicle, first model year or not.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For those that peruse other auto sites, I would be curious to know whether the types of problems/complaints here are similar.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We just completed a 2 day test drive and spent some time at the dealer tonight. (We are working thru the decision making process...) They told me they had a used one on the other side of the lot that was a trade from someone who really needed a full size truck with diesel. The Acadia was not meeting his needs. People's needs may change as well.

I guess that happens. But, this is why we are taking several weeks to make the decision and really trying lots of vehicles and considering the pros and cons of everything. If I knew I needed to tow 6,000 lbs or needed a full size truck bed or whatever, I would not even be looking at an Acadia. I guess you have to know what your needs are in the first place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also know that some people who are eligible for the employee discount purchase an Acadia then sell it for more than they paid for it due to the high demand for the vehicle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. All cars have their problems. At least GM's now have a 5 year powertrain warranty. All cars have problems, not just American cars. I think the quality of Asian vs. American cars has been way overstated. I've been hearing the new Toyota Camrys are having transmission problems and the old ones had sludge problems. The Honda Pilot, Accord, Odyssey, and Acura MDX had transmission problems too. Do a search on google and you'll see what I mean. The funniest thing is that to me these transmission and sludge problems are major, yet you never really see it mentioned a lot in Consumer's Reports. They keep recommending Toyotas and Hondas that have these problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I personally know people who have had transmission problems with their foreign cars. Also, repairs on these foreign cars are usually much more expensive than repairs on american cars. Plus, a transmission is VERY expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for these very useful notes, folks!

I myself had transmission problems on my 2003 Honda Pilot, right after the power train warranty expired. The quote from the dealer to install a refurbished tranny provided by Honda? $4,600! I called American Honda to complain and used the reliability card. They requested all my services records which fortunately I had. We went back and forth for a few weeks until they offered to pay 75% of the repair. I ended up paying about $1,100.

I loved the car before that, not any more. Now I feel noises and rattles all the time, although I only drive it on weekends (wife's car). So I decided to part with it. For the first time in my life I am looking at American cars. Obviously no longer believe in the myth of the Japanese car reliability (maybe Toyota still holds its own, I don't know).

Fact is, I don't want to have the same experience again. I want a reliable car (while I own it of course). So maybe I'll just go with a lease while the warranty is in effect or purchase and add an extended warranty.

It feels like they kicked you you-know-where when they tell you you have to pony up 4,600 greenies if you want to drive again!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry to hear about your transmission problems...but proof that the japanese car reliability is a myth. One thing that you should consider is replacement parts. Once when I went to Napa to buy a part for my Pontiac, the salesperson told me that I should be lucky to have an American car, since Toyota and Honda parts are often much more expensive and not always available. The problem is that they often change the design more quickly, and this drives up parts costs. So you need to look at this aspect as well - your repair costs (and every car will need repairs!) will be less with an American car.

Another note - maintenance! I've run synthetic oil, trans fluid, and differential fluid on my car and it's 10 years old and runs like new! I do all my own maintenance as well with no major engine/transmission problems. All parts that I did have to buy were reasonable as well. Happy to say it's an American car. American cars do last a long time if you take care of them.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Every manufacturer has their problems, but one thing is for sure, GM vehicles are MUCH MUCH better than they used to be (think 80s-early 90s). I had a '99 Silverado that I put 105K miles on with only having to replace the ABS pump - traded the '99 in for my '03 Silverado that I still have with 130K miles on it with only having to replace a door speaker and the parking brake cable - have a '07 Silverado that has 13K miles so far without a hiccup.

Our '02 Odyssey had to have the power driver seat adjuster ($900) and the transmission ($3600) replaced within 5 years. Both items were covered under the 100K mile extended warranty, so no out-of-pocket money to us but not insignificant issues. Also, the power sliding doors sometimes don't open or close when we want them to, but the dealer can never find anything wrong with them, and the Odyssey is one of the noisiest vehicles we have ever owned.

One of my sisters has a Lexus ES330 that has had the engine replaced due to the dreaded sludge issue.

Nobody makes perfect vehicles, but the perception that domestic vehicles in general and GM vehicles in particular are inferior to imports is outdated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Federico.

It's funny that you mentioned the Acadia ads on eBay because I noticed that last night as well! I'm friends with a couple of dealer salespersons and have come to my own conclusions. In fact, my one friend was telling me how this guy bought an Acadia about a month ago only to come back in last week looking to trade it in for a pick-up. Turns out he was working in construction and thought he would never go back but sure enough, a month later he did!

I wouldn't assume all the used ones for sale were for problems. As someone said above, people's needs change and some change quickly.

Another guy wanted an Acadia and ended up buying a Yukon XL. He was fortunate enough to realize he wanted the larger vehicle before buying, but I bet some people don't realize until afterwards. The mileage could be from test drives or renting as well.

Sorry that happened to your Pilot. How many miles were on it at the time?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Has anybody have an idea how much the Acadia has depreciated since it came out?
Any input from those who have traded theirs (of course if you still visit the site), dealer info, etc.
My dealer does not have any used one but the salesperson was guessing something in the range of $4k :eek:hno: for a 2-month or 2k mile usage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Edmunds.com is stating that the first year depreciation for an Acadia/Outlook is in the $9xxx range. Since these cars are still hard to come by for some, I would guess that most dealers that have a used one will sell it at a premium to where buying used doesn't make sense but they will surely rape you on the trade in value.

Once peoples leases run out (2-3 yrs) the used market will start to even out and used car buyers will be able to get a decent price for a used one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I was looking, one dealer had a used one on the lot. It was pretty well-equipped, but they were asking $39,900. (And, I wasn't going to buy used anyway.) I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, it's still there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
ok maybe i can shed some light here. i dont usally come back here but today i did.

i sold my acadia, not becasue of problems, but because it was not what i really in the long run was looking for. most people are the same, sure i was happy with it but after spending 43000 i wanted to be completly happy with it. there were some things i didn't like about it. no v-8, small windows, not as many options as some of the other gmcs' espaclly the denali, and it just didn't seem to fit "ME".

but i really never had a problem and i am sure that some of the other people who are selling theirs are the same, just didn't seem like the right car for them, test drives are about 15 min and that really doesn't (atleast for me) tell me a whole lot about the car. but if i like a car i dont care about problems, it is just that i didn't enjoy the car as much as i thought i did.

my resale was really good, i listed it at 40000 even and had alot of intrest and a buyer in a week, but i sold it for 38 because i felt bad about the price to a sweet old lady, on a budget, but if it was a jerk i would have happly sold it for 40k.

but i sold it for a sierra denali, that i am very excited about.

I hope that this answers some of yall's questions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
gig229 said:
Sorry to hear about your transmission problems...but proof that the japanese car reliability is a myth. One thing that you should consider is replacement parts. Once when I went to Napa to buy a part for my Pontiac, the salesperson told me that I should be lucky to have an American car, since Toyota and Honda parts are often much more expensive and not always available. The problem is that they often change the design more quickly, and this drives up parts costs. So you need to look at this aspect as well - your repair costs (and every car will need repairs!) will be less with an American car.

Another note - maintenance! I've run synthetic oil, trans fluid, and differential fluid on my car and it's 10 years old and runs like new! I do all my own maintenance as well with no major engine/transmission problems. All parts that I did have to buy were reasonable as well. Happy to say it's an American car. American cars do last a long time if you take care of them.
Japanese car reliability a myth? Not to start a war because I think the Acadia and Outlook are awesome CUVs, but.....I ran across this a few months ago when I started my latest search for a new vehicle. It contains an amazing amount of statistical data related to auto reliability and durability. Unless it is made up of lies or false numbers, which is possible, it pretty much clarifies fact from fiction and answers the "myth" questions. I personally think the author(s) have a bias towards the foreign auto makers but the data is clear, if it's real. http://www.autooninfo.net/RelPerGMCCharts.htm

·
Registered
128 Posts
The data based on 7-9 year old reliability startng in the mid to 1998 says nothing about the current new vehicles.

The past does not always pedict the future. If nothing changed then yes. If you keep doing what you have always have done you will get what you always have got.

Quality and design is not owned by anyone. Anyone can produce quality products. Remember who taught the Asian companies on quality and how long it took for them to turn around 20+ years. In this instant world we want it fixed tommorw...good luck. Stay tuned it is a long race not a sprint. The Big 3 as mentioned have been challenged over the last 10 years and have only started to fight back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts