GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up (today) my 2008 SLT-1 custom ordered since I did not want some SLT-2 options. So far the vehicle is ok but I have noticed some minor issues here and there -- I am giving it time for now. I have owned several late model GMs and I am not sure if the Acadia is up to the hype -- not the worst though. Anyway, I digress.

My main concern is that the DVD system takes over the main speakers (of course) but I would like a way to split the audio with front speakers only for me (XM) and everything else behind my seat for the DVD (when they are playing a movie). The kids do not like headphones and actually I do not either so I can not blame them. Is there a way to split the audio?
I am considering mounting a computer speaker plugged into the rear audio jacks as a possible solution. I am also wondering if I should have nixed this option and just bought a few DVD portable players.

Has anyone wanted to do this besides me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well then do you or anyone have a suggestion for a replacement radio that can do this?

If I replace it I might as well go GPS too. If I do will I have issues like adding an antenna or significant rewire issues (I have electronics experience anyway)?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My yougest one is not fond of the wireless headphones. As a solution, she sites in captains chair and we have wired 'walkman' style headphones that plug into the rear console. They are much lighter, but it does the trick.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The only solution I could come up with would be to fade the sound to the front and plug in a pair of powered speakers into the rear aux headphone input.
I just wonder how much sound mixing you would get with two sets of sounds playing within the confines of the cabin. It would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
s_mcg said:
My yougest one is not fond of the wireless headphones. As a solution, she sites in captains chair and we have wired 'walkman' style headphones that plug into the rear console. They are much lighter, but it does the trick.
Try a different manufacturer's brand of wireless headphone. My daughter did not like the headphones that came with the car. We have successfully used a pair of Sony wireless headphones and a pair of Audiovox wireless headphones with soft earpads.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId=&brand=

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That link shows really nice looking headphones -- I will look into them.

I had thought about putting amplified speakers as well off the rear headphone jacks. I see that Sony has some nice slim Ipod'ish looking ones for about $30. I may extend the lines and set it in their car seats kind of like in the hospitals with those speaker/remote things.

Good ideas guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts