GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought I'd give this topic a little bump...

This weekend I picked up a WD Passport Essentials 500GB to backup my laptop, but before I loaded it up, I thought I'd try it on the Acadia. Previously, I've been using a couple of 4GB flash drives just fine. First, the drive is not recognizable by the Acadia or my Marantz home receiver because it is formatted as NTFS - they both say "unrecognizable format". So I downloaded a FAT32 formatter and after changing the format to FAT32, I moved a few songs over and gave it a test - but, both the Acadia and the Marantz say there are no audio files on the Passport. I've tried mp3s and mp4s - the same format as on the flash drives, but they are neither are able to find audio files.

Has anyone else successfully configured the new Passport Essentials to work in their car? Any thoughts on why the Acadia can connect and read the drive, but can't find the audio files?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried that. I read somewhere that PlayStation 3 can only read music if the files are in a folder called MUSIC, so I tried that but with no luck either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sharpcolorado said:
Try creating a folder on the drive, and putting your media files in it. You might even try two folders. The idea is to force Acadia to read the FAT32 catalog.
Can you provide a sample of how you do this- folder names, subfolder names, etc.? My wife's previous vehicle had a 10-disk changer so she has become accustomed to having more than one disk available in the vehicle. If I understand correctly the Acadia will only handle one disk at a time. We thought the flash drive might be a solution but have not found any help online as to how you put MP3 files on the drive so that the radio will find them and group them together as they would be on a CD changer.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The USB stick will act like a CD changer if you make each folder as if it was a CD. Make up to 700 folder ( that is the limit the radio will read ) but each folder can have a ton of songs in it. I have over 2,700 songs on my USB stick with 17 gig of music on a 32 gig stick and I love it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Well there's the problem!!! It's country music!!! >:D Only kidding!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
kedenali said:
So she could have for instance:

Taylor Swift folder
Fearless folder
songs
songs
Speak Now folder
songs
songs
George Strait folder
Troubador folder
songs
songs

and so on?
Yes, set a folder up as the artist and a sub folder under the artist name for each album or CD. You can have many sub folders under the artist name but remember the limit to total folders is 700. As I have over 700 artists I couldn't give each artist a seperate folder but I just named them by type of music and you can still see the MP3 file name before you select it. Play around with it a bit and I think you will get the hang of things, if not ask more questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a question, and apologize in advance for somewhat hijacking this thread. I am trying to purchase a 2010 Acadia, and it has the USB in the center console. If I use a thumb drive, can the 2nd row passenger listen to that source through headphones while the main (NAV) unit listens to XM and vice-versa?

I know on my '08 (non-NAV) the 2nd row can listen to a different source, ie: AM, FM, XM, or AUX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had any luck using any 64GB USB drive/flash disk?

I have a SanDisk CruzerGlide 64GB (USB 2.0) (have to note it worked initially, but was slow at song transition and studdered for the first 5 seconds of each song) [tried formatting to NTFS and exFat file systems] and a Team Group X101 64GB (USB 3.0) [Fat32 file system] drive and neither of them work. I get a "Device Load File" error from the screen on the stereo when inserting the drives.

If not for a 64GB drive, how about a successful 32 GB drive?

Would anyone be able to comment if a microSD card would work with a Micro Memory Card Reader USB drive?

I know the port does work well as a simple no-name (SMI?) 2GB drive plays nicely and seamlessly through songs and transitions.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Re: USB help...nothing I own works! Recommendations?

I "was" facing a similar problem & the infotainment system corrupted one of my flash drives.
What I did:-

1. Format USB drive by plugging into a PC; Pref. FAT32, Altough NTFS also won't be a problem.

2. Plug-in the formatted USB into the Acadia's USB slot, let the system read it(It should display contents empty)

3. Once the Acadia has accessed the USB disconnect it, load your song collection by connecting it to a PC(Since it has read it once it won't have a problem reading it again).

4. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
f2000sx said:
Has anyone had any luck using any 64GB USB drive/flash disk?

I have a SanDisk CruzerGlide 64GB (USB 2.0) (have to note it worked initially, but was slow at song transition and studdered for the first 5 seconds of each song) [tried formatting to NTFS and exFat file systems] and a Team Group X101 64GB (USB 3.0) [Fat32 file system] drive and neither of them work. I get a "Device Load File" error from the screen on the stereo when inserting the drives.

If not for a 64GB drive, how about a successful 32 GB drive?

Would anyone be able to comment if a microSD card would work with a Micro Memory Card Reader USB drive?

I know the port does work well as a simple no-name (SMI?) 2GB drive plays nicely and seamlessly through songs and transitions.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
I have found that the Sandisk brand works the best in my Acadia, but 32 Gb is the maximum that works for me. I have several 32 Gb drives and a few 16 Gb drives (all Sandisk) in the Acadia.

There is a total number of files / folders limit for the Acadia, you might be exceeding that total

·
Registered
3 Posts
To @TheNSyed: Thanks for taking the time to iterate the possible fix action. Unfortunately following the t/s'ing steps the 64GB drives still do not work, still get the "Device Load Fail." :banghead:

To Nvr2loud: Funny thing is I've had 4 folders (no sub folders) with 243 files (mp3) distributed among them. I've also tested with one folder with a few songs on it. Unfortunately, I don't think this is close to the limit of the infotainment system. I wish it were that easy of a fix.

A 64GB USB would have been really nice to have, but it looks like it may not be possible. :-\

Those that use 32GB USB drives, can you please share the brand/version/model that you are using. I will be on the market for one of these in the near future. Would like to purchase a guaranteed drive that will work.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I use Sandisk.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
From one of my old posts.....

I use multiple Sandisk Cruziers (16gb and 32gb) without any problems.

I could not get the following brands to work at all...

Maxell (16gb)
Memorex (12gb)
Lexor (64gb)
Lexor (32gb)
Lexor (16gb)

·
Registered
45 Posts
f2000sx said:
To @TheNSyed: Thanks for taking the time to iterate the possible fix action. Unfortunately following the t/s'ing steps the 64GB drives still do not work, still get the "Device Load Fail." :banghead:
No problem buddy. Try keeping folders to a minimal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
;D Ok folks... Good news! 8)

To answer the aforementioned question of mine... "Would anyone be able to comment if a microSD card would work with a Micro Memory Card Reader USB drive?"

Yes, this setup does work! AND NO skipping of songs between tracks!!! It is smooth and clear as I would expect from the capability. This setup is WAY better than CDs, Aux port, iPhone, and radio. The quality is unmatched, no cd player spin noise (minimal, but there). This will be nice for doing road trips!

When the memory card is full of music (drive capacity is in actuality 28 GB) there is delay between songs, more so than with just 1 GB worth during my initial test. The delay is about 3-4 seconds between songs vice 1 second during the initial test. It also does not matter if the songs are being played in succession or in random mode.

- SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Memory Card (~$27 Amazon)
- Sandisk Mobile ULTRA MicroMate USB 2.0 Card Reader (~$4 Amazon)

So for those of us concerned of have a versatile memory option, I recommend this setup above for now. The total cost was only about $31.

I will continue to test for long term usage. My next concern is the longevity due to the possible heat from such micro memory devices. Also have to be careful not to lose the little (thumbnail size) micro memory chip.

***Update***
Be careful with some of the Sandisk Mobile ULTRA MicroMate USB 2.0 Card Readers, mine broke under normal usage in about a month worth of easy usage.

For anyone interested in trying the SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDHC Memory Card, I can attest that is does not work. The 32GB versions of flash media seem to be the max the Acadia system will accept.

Have fun, hope others are able to reap the benefits of the same or similar setup! :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have a 32GB Sandisk thumb drive that is about the size of your thumbnail and never had a problem playing from it. the only problem i've had is if you have it plugged in and are on FM or any other source, and then shut off and turn the vehicle back on, sometimes it plays from the last source, like FM, and other times it automatically starts playing from USB. Almost like during the system boot up the USB is the last thing to initialize and automatically starts playing from it like you just inserted the drive. Kind of annoying.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts