GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a new topic but it is extremely frustrating that very few things work in the usb port on the 2011. I tried an Android phone (Droid Incredible), Zune Gen2 and a Phillips MP3 player. Every attempt received the "Device not compatible" or "No usb device found" messages.

Since I can't try it, can anyone tell me how it works with a thumb drive plugged in? If I load 2000 songs on a thumb drive, can I just leave it plugged in all the time and switch to that source anytime I want? If so, that is pretty cool! Can I have folders or genre's or does it just put them in one large list? Can I shuffle?

I just need to find a device that is compatible.

Any recommendations on a thumb drive? Will any kind work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The thumb drive works very well, actually. You can browse by folder but also by artists, Album, etc. Its similar to when you insert a CD full of MP3 songs, just a bit faster, thank god!
I always have a thumb drive plugged in. The only problem I have seen is it can occasionally happen that it forgets the directory structure of the thumb drive, so when you turn your car on, it will play from the thumb drive but you can't browse it. Then you have to pull it out and push it back in, that leads to reading the contents again.
I have not yet tried what the max. size of drive is that it takes, I had 2GB working fine and will try 8GB soon. I have not been able to get a HDD to work (yet?).
iPhones and iPods seem to work great, but sorry to hear about your devices not showing compatible.

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Are you sure that the devices are properly set-up? Have you checked the 'compatibilty' lists. This info is easy to find here and may be in your manual (either for the device, or the vehicle).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Veccster said:
I know this is not a new topic but it is extremely frustrating that very few things work in the usb port on the 2011. I tried an Android phone (Droid Incredible), Zune Gen2 and a Phillips MP3 player. Every attempt received the "Device not compatible" or "No usb device found" messages.

Since I can't try it, can anyone tell me how it works with a thumb drive plugged in? If I load 2000 songs on a thumb drive, can I just leave it plugged in all the time and switch to that source anytime I want? If so, that is pretty cool! Can I have folders or genre's or does it just put them in one large list? Can I shuffle?

I just need to find a device that is compatible.

Any recommendations on a thumb drive? Will any kind work?
I have a 8 gig thumb drive and I leave it plugged in at all times. I can switch between the radio and USB at any time so when I can't find a good song on the radio I listen to the USB stick. When I first plug it in I have seen it say "memeory full" on the radio display ( I do NOT have NAV ) but everything works fine. I have about 6 gigs of music ( about 1,300 songs ) on the thumb drive so not sure how it would work if I have it completley full. All I did was talk a copy of my Itunes from my computer ( in MP3 format ) and put it on the USB stick so every artist has a folder and every album has a sub folder. I guess if you set up the folders by genre's it would list them that way but I haven't done that. You can scroll thru the artists and songs by using the steering wheel controls and the radio does have a shuffle button if you want that. I would think any thumb drive would work, I have used a few differant types and sizes in my and they all work.

My Droid X will not work with the USB, I have tried many things and it just seems it is not compatible. Maybe Andriod or GM will come out with a update to fix it but that may be wishfull thinking on my part.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Night...that sounds fantastic! I am anxious to get it working correctly. I have over 30gb of music categorized so I would like to find something with capacity of at least 8gb. Then I just need to pick and choose my tunes to load :-\

Speleos said:
Are you sure that the devices are properly set-up? Have you checked the 'compatibilty' lists. This info is easy to find here and may be in your manual (either for the device, or the vehicle).
I have no idea how to properly set up a device. Yes, the Zune Gen2 is listed in the compatibility list. I'll be honest, I did not read the manual on the subject... :facepalm:...I just plugged it in and expected it to work! I'll go back but I'm not sure what else would be required.

MA Acadia said:
I have a 8 gig thumb drive and I leave it plugged in at all times. I can switch between the radio and USB at any time so when I can't find a good song on the radio I listen to the USB stick. When I first plug it in I have seen it say memeory full on the radio display but everything works fine. I have about 6 gigs of music ( about 1,300 songs ) on the thumb drive so not sure how it would work if I have it completley full. All I did was talk a copy of my Itunes from my computer ( in MPS format ) and put it on the USB stick so every artist has a folder and every album has a sub folder. I guess if you set up the folders by genre's it would list them that way but I haven't done that. You can scroll thru the artists and songs by using the steering wheel controls and the radio does have a shuffle button if you want that. I would think any thumb drive would work, I have used a few differant types and sizes in my and they all work.

My Droid X will not work with the USB, I have tried many things and it just seems it is not compatible. Maybe Andriod or GM will come out with a update to fix it but that may be wishfull thinking on my part.
Thanks MA. I'm going to head out to Walmart and pick up a couple different sticks using the brands that are listed in the compatibility list. I'm anxious to get this set up properly. It will be great having all that tuneage at your fingertips. I do this now but have to use the AUX cable and hate wires always in the way.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have an 8GB flash drive pretty well maxed and it works fine. The only problem I've had was the artists don't appear in alphabetic order. Check out http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=9694"]this thread[/url], however, for a potential solution to that problem (I haven't tried it yet, so I said 'potential' :p)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I might have given wrong info, sorry: when I just tried my USB stick again, I could browse the folder structure but the Music Explorer that shows with MP3 discs would not come up. I could have sworn it did but whaddayaknow...
I will make it up by starting a thread the shows exactly what can and can't be done with photos.
In the meantime it means you have to name and organize your music the way you want it, best on hour PC already before you copy it to the stick. Have the artists in folders, each CD in it's own folder within that. Label the songs tracknumber-trackname and if you now copy all over together it should work great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
USB 32GB flash drive and my 2011 Acadia 32GB

Today I did this:

1) Formatted a 32GB USB Flash Drive (FAT32)
2) Copied 20GB of MP3 files to it - over 100 albums. Files organized by folder names (artist or album)
3) Plugged into USB port in dash top of Acadia
4) Started vehicle

Works perfectly. Started playing first folder ("10cc") and first song ("paperback writer.mp3"). Pressed the middle button on the touch screen (10cc) then "Back" and could browse all folders. Turned ignition off, removed key, left vehicle. Returned 20 minutes later and started vehicle. Last track and position I was playing resumed right where I left off.

Flash Drive Model: Kingston DataTraveler 150 32GB (this one) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344766,00.asp

Based upon this, any Kingston DataTraveler should work.

I will now add the last 12GB to the drive. That will be about 8,000 MP3 tracks. Will leave the stick in the vehicle, maybe even plugged in. Brilliant performance by my Acadia. ;D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nightingales...I look forward to seeing that thread!

@ Sharpcolorado - It sounds like you have the nav screen...do the album covers show up as well? I assume not but that would really be sweet! Does the folder list show? I'd really like to see a picture of how that screen displays the folder list.
Oh well, I do not have a nav screen so I'm not sure about my ability to navigate through folders and such.

I suppose it would be best if I could create playlist folders (like "country", "kids", "roadtrip", etc). I could just open the folder that best fits my mood and have a variety of music. I don't need to search for a particular artist or album...I prefer a mix but still like to keep it within a similar range.
I don't want Metallica or Pantera playing while we're on our way to playground....but I don't want Dora playing when I'm on my way to go snowboarding.
That would be ideal

I'm headed up to walmart today to see what i can find.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do indeed have the Nav system in my 2011 Acadia.

No, album art is not displayed. That would be a good thing for GM to program into upgrade firmware.

Maybe GM could also automatically erase the "Friday Song" if it is found. :eek:hno:

The folder list becomes the "Album" list. That way, you can name them things like "Kids Trip" or "Disney Stuff" or "Sharon's Favs".

I think virtually any USB flash drive should work.

*NOTE*
it may be good to do what I did: Format the drive, which should erase backup utility software, ads, and other junk from the drive. I wonder if that stuff has been part of the problems people have been experiencing?

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
sharpcolorado said:
*NOTE*
it may be good to do what I did: Format the drive, which should erase backup utility software, ads, and other junk from the drive. I wonder if that stuff has been part of the problems people have been experiencing?
That's a very good point! :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
sharpcolorado said:
OK, now I have over 30GB of files on my 32GB flash. Works perfectly. Even subfolders named for individual albums under a main folder named for the artist work.

Hey, GM, nice one.
:thumb:
Thanks much for checking that out for us, much better than all having to buy a 32GB drive to test it...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sharpcolorado said:
OK, now I have over 30GB of files on my 32GB flash. Works perfectly. Even subfolders named for individual albums under a main folder named for the artist work.

Hey, GM, nice one.
:thumb:
Fantastic...thanks! I am now in the market for a 32gb drive. I found them for about $40.

I like the usb so much, I am now in the shopping process to upgrade the radio in my 2009 Toyota Tacoma with one that has this same functionality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes, I own the songs (purchased through itunes). In order to get them to play on thumb drive in Acadia I have to convert to MP3. When I copy from my itunes to thumb drive they are in M4a format and will not be recognized. When I use my ipod with same songs in USB port they play!

·
Registered
44 Posts
rdsbaker

Yes you own the tracks, but they are copy protected. It does not matter if you change the format. The Acadia matches your iPod with your Apple account and your tracks with an architecture called DRM.

You must rescan the tracks (for your personal use) to obtain non-DRM protection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You may want to remove DRM protection so that you can use your media for personal use freely on multiple devices, such as non-Apple mp3 players, vehicles, computers, and external or backup drives.

Most people burn tracks to audio CD-Rs, then scan them back in. That removes the DRM protection. But that means you might be wasting CDs, which can cost about 20 to 50 cents each.

I like to use TuneClone, which creates a virtual CD on your computer, writes to it, then reads back. The computer thinks it was an actual CD, but the whole process is handled in memory.

TuneClone here

Some other methods:
http://www.iskysoft.com/article/remove-drm-protection-from-itunes.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-DRM-Protection-from-iTunes-Songs-using-NoteBurner
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/ipod/forum/post/15944/title/how-remove-drm-protection-itunes-m4p-m4b-drm-wma
http://mp3.about.com/od/essentialsoftware/tp/best_drm_removal_software.htm

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts