GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody thinks the MSRP of a SLT-2 loaded is high in the US, I looked at Canadian pricing while at a meeting in Toronto. From "build your own" on the Canadian site, a non-extra color cost SLT-2 (and no engine block heater) would be CAD $59,010. The current exchange is $1 USD = $0.90 CAD. That would make the MSRP 53,109 in US dollars. A good $7-8K more just on MSRP.

Hopefully I don't have any of this wrong, our Canadian posters will correct me if needed, I'm sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think I may be in the minority, but I look at what you are getting with the SLT2 and think it is a bargain. I think the SLE should probably be about $2k less, but the SLT2 coming in at $35 is about right. You are not getting the features and quality in the competitors for any less are you?

I do think that GMC should probably follow the Saturn lead and make benches standard to drop the MSRPs across the board by $500. I would probably add XM for a year to the SLT2 as well to make it a slightly better deal.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that what you get in a SLT-2 is a bargain, one of the reasons we own an Acadia versus other similar outfitted vehicles. What I thought was shocking is, even adjusted for currency exchange, how much higher the MSRP for an equivalent SLT-2 is in Canada.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Actually a Canadian dollar is right now worth about 86.5 U.S. cents. But even at that rate the loaded Canadian MSRP you quoted would still top $50k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I considered buying in the US before I put my order in here in Canada. But by the time you factor in cost to fly to the destination and taxes paid at our border it isn't worth it for us Canadians to grab one from the US. Plus my dealer told me if you buy in the US before the vehicle reaches a certain mile, they will not honour the warranty (maybe this is a deterrent to keep the market in GM control?). Either way he got my order because I wanted one of these bad! :)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Cross-border transactions can be difficult. Acura makes the MDX in Canada. Back in 2002, when I bought mine, you could only get one in the U.S. by ordering it and waiting. A few people looked at flying up to Canada (where, for some reason, they were more available) and getting one. Acura announced they would not honor the warranty in the U.S. Seems kind of silly to me.

Kelly

·
Registered
246 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
If anybody thinks the MSRP of a SLT-2 loaded is high in the US, I looked at Canadian pricing while at a meeting in Toronto. From "build your own" on the Canadian site, a non-extra color cost SLT-2 (and no engine block heater) would be CAD $59,010. The current exchange is $1 USD = $0.90 CAD. That would make the MSRP 53,109 in US dollars. A good $7-8K more just on MSRP.

Hopefully I don't have any of this wrong, our Canadian posters will correct me if needed, I'm sure.
Yep. Based on today's exchange, it should be about 51k and change. I imagine there's a bunch of hidden taxes and other
costs rolled into the MSRP. After all, Canada is the land of the overtaxed :banghead:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't forget, 19-inch wheels are standard on the SLT-2 in Canada, if that changes anything.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Also keep in mind that the package groupings are different in Canada vs. US, so comparisons
between the two can be tricky if you are not paying attention. In this case though, that
shouldn't matter, as the $59,010 should include every possible option except the block heater.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first Acadia we were going to pick up was listed as MSRP 59,520 (Cdn.) which did not include HUD or rear cargo controls and I'm not certain what else.

Also, I was on the GM website the other day and found they had a White Diamond/Ebony (8-pass.) SLT-2 which looked fully loaded (not certain though) and it had an MSRP of $60,420 (Cdn.).

We definitely pay to the extreme up here!!! Much higher cost than simply exchange rate on identical vehicle.

:banghead: Maybe it's time to move back to California???

·
Registered
119 Posts
I test drove a Summit White 7 pass SLT-2 AWD, with every option (including block heater, trailer pkg), except an HUD, which I would have really like to have seen in person, BTW, with an MSRP of $58,700. There was a Blue-Gold SLT-2, fully loaded, with HUD, for a little over $59,000 that was sold last month as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My last two vehicles were a Honda Odyssey and a Lexus GS300. In both cases, options were basically non existent. The Acadia was interesting in that the base vehicle can be had for $38,500 cdn and you can add up to $23,000 in options :eek: We got ourselves the base Acadia for $36,500 and I think that is a great deal for a great truck.

I think the price in Canada is higher because the auto maker will always sell for whatever the market will bear. I've heard that in Europe the same BMW can sell for up to 50% less than in Germany, depending on which country you go to purchase it in. So a weekend trip to Romania may save you a few Euros on your next 7 series.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Folks, I just joined the forum. My wife and I really like the Acadia and are considering ordering one in the next few weeks.

We're located in Toronto and now that our dollar is at par with the US I started to look State side. A similarly equipped SLT-1 with DVD, and sunroof costs up here 48K plus tax, and in the US. about 10K less. I would consider buying and driving across the border but there are so many hoops you need to jump through.

Anybody have any hunches on what the GM strike will do to the dealerships? Can I negotiate a better price now?

·
Registered
362 Posts
cordoba002 said:
Anybody have any hunches on what the GM strike will do to the dealerships? Can I negotiate a better price now?
I have no idea but logic tells me it would be harder to negotiate a great deal. Supply is limited and demand high. Welcome and good luck to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts