GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this subject but could only find 2 year old data that didn't specifically address this issue.

I'm looking at purchasing a SLT-2 and the only one I can find with all the other options I want on it has no HIDs (within a 2 hour drive). Can the OEM HIDs be installed on a non-HID Acadia without much trouble? What is involved?

I noticed that to remove/replace the headlights that the front wheel and wheel well liner must be removed. Talk about bad engineering, who thought that was a good idea?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Why go OEM? I ask due to financial reasons- I browsed a GM parts catalog online & got this:
Composite assy, acadia, enclave traverse, right, w/hid
07-09 $984.53 $716.74

You're looking at over $1400 worth of parts (plus shipping) just for the assemblies. Hopefully, they are self-contained to where nothing else is needed. The parts catalog does not say one way or another, but there are two listings for wire harness (cannot find the part # since it is a "request price" listing). The replacement bulbs are $153 each + shipping.

I also checked the GM Accessory store & they have no listing for HID- possibly since it is so involved to replace them (they do list things like the nav radio).

I looked at the Xenon Depot board here, and they are listing kits for $95 to $175. A chart is here for comparison of features.

When I priced the HID option on my 2009 Dodge, it was $700. I added aftermarket HIDs for far less than that. Granted, they were a lot easier to get to than the Acadia. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, it seems as if the aftermarket HIDs are not the same quality as the factory ones. For example, when driving down the road I come across cars with aftermarket HID that just totally blind the oncoming driver because the top of the light pattern is not capped. Plus I don't want an aftermarket look, I just want the factory light look. Although if it is cost prohibitive then it might change my mind.

I have no first hand experience with aftermarket HID, so my experience is just second hand.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I think it may be a case of you get what you pay for to some degree. Like anything else, I'm sure there are low quality knock off HID kits that don't focus the light properly. I knew nothing about the HID classifications (the 6000K, 8000K etc.) and the vendor for the Dodge products was very helpful. He even shipped me an upgraded harness for free when I had some high beam issues. From what little I've read here, Xenon Depot is the same way and the members that have bought his stuff are happy.

Xenon Depot is a member here, so you should post in his section or PM some questions to him about this.

I can't see laying out $1500+ on HIDs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about trying to find a set of new/used Factory HID headlamps less the HID light kit. Then get a aftermarket HID kit from someone like XenonDept. It would give the factory look and save some $$$. I can confrim the Xenondepot HID kit 4300K works great in a non-HID headlamp.

Matt

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ottawacats said:
What about trying to find a set of new/used Factory HID headlamps less the HID light kit. Then get a aftermarket HID kit from someone like XenonDept. It would give the factory look and save some $$$. I can confrim the Xenondepot HID kit 4300K works great in a non-HID headlamp.

Matt
I was considering that as a good way to go. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, I'll be up near you at my summer lake cottage about 1:15 west of Ottawa soon, I can't wait.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I have been thinking about doing it myself. Like I said the Xenondepot HID kit works great and was easy to install.
Where's that cottage as I'm at work.....................

Matt

·
Registered
752 Posts
Trouble with the HID's is that you can't blink them at the idiot who still has his brights on. Alsways wondered if you could replace the fog lamps with driving lamps?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ottawacats said:
Well I have been thinking about doing it myself. Like I said the Xenondepot HID kit works great and was easy to install.
Where's that cottage as I'm at work.....................

Matt
Near Sharbot Lake.

sandman said:
Trouble with the HID's is that you can't blink them at the idiot who still has his brights on. Alsways wondered if you could replace the fog lamps with driving lamps?
Why not, I can on my BMW?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
skierman64 said:
Why not, I can on my BMW?
Ditto on my Dodge- wasn't there something here about the HID on the Acadia only being low beam or am I confused?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thats the trouble with being old and having read like 10 billion posts on this forum. So take what I say with a grain of salt - whatever the hell that means.

Pretty sure I remember reading you can't flash them. Maybe something about warmup times?. Anyway, somebody out there has got to have HID and can answer this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you thought about the Halogen replacement bulbs that have the color and brightness of the HID kits, but does not need the start up ballests

·
Registered
30 Posts
No flash to pass with the Xenondepot kit, you can manual flash your high beams. I tried this morning if Flash to Pass still worked and no it doesnt.

Matt

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mdg said:
Have you thought about the Halogen replacement bulbs that have the color and brightness of the HID kits, but does not need the start up ballests
I had the bluish HID imitations in my Expedition for a while. They totally sucked, I went to Sylvania silver stars for a much much better light. I don't know what the quality of the HID imitations was but my experience was not good.

For me I'm not out to try to impress folks with a bluish light to make them think I have HIDs, I just want a better performing light. Function > Form.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
skierman64 said:
I had the bluish HID imitations in my Expedition for a while. They totally sucked, I went to Sylvania silver stars for a much much better light. I don't know what the quality of the HID imitations was but my experience was not good.

For me I'm not out to try to impress folks with a bluish light to make them think I have HIDs, I just want a better performing light. Function > Form.
I had Silver Stars in my Envoy, but with the DRL's on I had about 10 months of life in them. Switched them back to the OEM's and then traded her off

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think that Xenon Depot recommends switching only the low beams so that you retain the flash to pass feature. You can buy their kit and while you're doing the install put in a set of better bulbs (PIAA, Sylvania SilerStar, etc) for the high beams. One possible solution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts