GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. I drive a 2008 SLE AWD. It is a very basic model with the only extras being the cold weather package and park assist.

I know that on some of the more loaded models there were some different headlights available. When mine burn out, is it possible to replace the current bulbs with the better ones?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Check out the Xenon Depot area of this forum for HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps

·
Registered
72 Posts
just to be clear, that is an entirely different bulb assembly. It's not quite as easy as simply popping in better bulbs than those that came from the factory. The "upgraded" headlights from the factory are High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps, as has been mentioned. I just wanted to clarify that it entails more than just swapping out bulbs.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bozz_2006 said:
just to be clear, that is an entirely different bulb assembly. It's not quite as easy as simply popping in better bulbs than those that came from the factory. The "upgraded" headlights from the factory are High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps, as has been mentioned. I just wanted to clarify that it entails more than just swapping out bulbs.
You are correct; adding HID's is more than just replacing bulbs. There are ballasts to install, wiring etc. You could find "better" bulbs to install if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My understanding and I could be wrong is that the non HID unit is all one unit and so is the HID unit. Meaning the whole assembly would need to be changed out. I am trying to look into if it just plug and play which I have been told yes it is, but have not seen for myself. Does this make sense to anybody? Or does anybody know something else?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Here is a link to an install with pics http://www.kbcarstuff.com/GMC_Acadia_H11_5000k_Low_beam_HID_Upgrade_s/147.htm

As far as plug and play and different headlight units; I can't answer to that, Xenon Depot has a relatively low price upgrade and I think they give forum members a discount. It seems like you want to remove your non HID headlight assemblies and replace them with HID assemblies? Can anyone else answer this?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
It is very simple and easy to change from the standard headlights to the xenon depot HID lamps. difficult part is accessing the headlamps.
Yes there are wires and a bit of work, but it is very simple. follow the instructions, and photos that some of us posted and you will be fine. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY TO GET HID LIGHTS. You will have to drill a few holes and mount a ballast to obtain the power needed. very simple.

Here is a link with some other photos of my install changing from standard lights to HID lights, utilizing the same housing assembly.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3458.msg74989#msg74989

any other questions let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. Yes, I didn't know whether this job was simply plug in the HID bulb. I may give it a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is very simple and easy to change from the standard headlights to the xenon depot HID lamps. difficult part is accessing the headlamps.
Yes there are wires and a bit of work, but it is very simple. follow the instructions, and photos that some of us posted and you will be fine. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY TO GET HID LIGHTS. You will have to drill a few holes and mount a ballast to obtain the power needed. very simple.

Here is a link with some other photos of my install changing from standard lights to HID lights, utilizing the same housing assembly.
GMC Acadia Forum

any other questions let me know.
Hey im currently downgrading my defective melted HID lights with a set of factory OEM halogen lights i got from an auto wrecker. I have the wiring for the halogen setup but im going to have to join it to the line that would normally run to the ballast. Has anyone mapped out the wiring on one of these things? Are there diagrams available?

·
Super Moderator
20,867 Posts
... Are there diagrams available?
Look for the link to download a service manual in a thread of the "GMC Acadia" forum section. Model year 2010 should be helpful. Few changes were made between model years 2007-2012.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts