GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some issues on the 17 and with high trade values we decided to upgrade. The new Red better matches my truck.

The added features are great. I missed HUD from our past cars. I do like the wheels better than out 17 but I still like the 17 nose better.

This model feels a little more stable. We had the electronics suspension on both but this one just feels better.

I ordered the steps and will install them soon. The steps are worthless as steps but they do protect the lower side from stones and sand blasting in the winter.

Below out with the old in with the new.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Dodge nitro Car Tire Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
If you ever encounter steep gravel driveways, you'll appreciate off-road mode. I was very impressed with it going up the 100 yard driveway to my friend's cabin - a >10% grade with loose gravel. It seems to transfer torque well between front and rear wheels to limit any wheel spin.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I also prefer the '17-19, but that is a very sharp ride!
I had HUD on my Z06, never used it/left it off, but many people do like it for sure.
What do you think of the gear selector?

Reactions: Ivar

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also prefer the '17-19, but that is a very sharp ride!
I had HUD on my Z06, never used it/left it off, but many people do like it for sure.
What do you think of the gear selector?
To be honest it is not a big deal. At first you reach but you get over it. I miss it more for a rest for my hand.

The storage space below is welcomed.

The biggest challenge is the camera mirror. I had tried one before in a Corvette. You have to learn to focus on the mirror not the image behind like in a normal mirror. it is different for sure. With companies moving to rear view cameras in the future some people may struggle with it.

As for the styling the new one has grown on me. This is the wife’s ride and she is happy so that is al, that matters.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you ever encounter steep gravel driveways, you'll appreciate off-road mode. I was very impressed with it going up the 100 yard driveway to my friend's cabin - a >10% grade with loose gravel. It seems to transfer torque well between front and rear wheels to limit any wheel spin.
That duel clutch set up is just On the AT4.

Any other action is just traction control. GM did not put a fuel clutch in the Denali. For the price they should.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
That duel clutch set up is just On the AT4.
I believe off-road mode distributes torque 50-50 front to rear, unlike the variable torque distribution in standard AWD mode. Doesn't have anything to do with the dual clutch differential.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
To be honest it is not a big deal. At first you reach but you get over it. I miss it more for a rest for my hand.

The storage space below is welcomed.

The biggest challenge is the camera mirror. I had tried one before in a Corvette. You have to learn to focus on the mirror not the image behind like in a normal mirror. it is different for sure. With companies moving to rear view cameras in the future some people may struggle with it.

As for the styling the new one has grown on me. This is the wife’s ride and she is happy so that is al, that matters.
Agree completely on the shift selector. I had a '21 Terrain loaner for the last 2 days. I got used to the shift selector, even if it doesn't "feel right" always having had an actual shifter, it's not a big deal TBH. The added storage is a plus agree, and I very rarely have played with the manual shifting (it is an SUV), so that's no biggie. I definitely like the dash shift selector more than the Caddy XT4 shifter I had last year on loaner.
I still do not like the start/stop, that's almost a deal breaker for me, maybe even is.
Rear view mirror cams are .. different for sure.
I think the '20-21 Acadia is the 4th nicest SUV made bar none, right behind the '17-19 (which follow Range Rover and Jag), both very nice rides.

Reactions: Ivar and JayTee2019

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
The 'zoom' function likely makes it less challenging.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree completely on the shift selector. I had a '21 Terrain loaner for the last 2 days. I got used to the shift selector, even if it doesn't "feel right" always having had an actual shifter, it's not a big deal TBH. The added storage is a plus agree, and I very rarely have played with the manual shifting (it is an SUV), so that's no biggie. I definitely like the dash shift selector more than the Caddy XT4 shifter I had last year on loaner.
I still do not like the start/stop, that's almost a deal breaker for me, maybe even is.
Rear view mirror cams are .. different for sure.
I think the '20-21 Acadia is the 4th nicest SUV made bar none, right behind the '17-19 (which follow Range Rover and Jag), both very nice rides.
The manual shift I use in the mountains for braking and or in the snow to start out in second or third gear. It is not like I am driving a Corvette here.

I looked at the Caddy snd was not sure on their shifter. But I know for a fact the buttons are a ton better than the Chrysler Knob. That thing in my in laws 300 is a royal pain. I can never hit the gear I want.

Im not a SUV guy but I do appreciate having this to drive. I have taken to back roads with some enjoyable driving. My Denali feels like my old SSEI.

To be honest Shifters are on the way out with EV and these camera mirrors will become more common. We have some adapting to do. I am already started.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
The manual shift I use in the mountains for braking and or in the snow to start out in second or third gear. It is not like I am driving a Corvette here.

I looked at the Caddy snd was not sure on their shifter. ...
It's likely the transmission will always start out in 1st gear. That's the way it's been through the years and the way my XT5's transmission works. The Caddy shifter is great, especially with the +/- paddles on the steering wheel. It's interesting, though, to push the shifter forward for reverse gear.

Outside, the Acadia looks good. I wasn't thrilled at all with the dash layout of it this time around. XT5 has the Acadia beat with respect to instrument visibility and design, IMO.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Oh there are more changes coming, no doubt.
I'll... wait, I already somewhat miss older cars in some respects.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
One thing I thought was nice about the button shifter, was eliminating one step when shutting it off.
No need to put it in park, then push the power button, just the power button does both functions.
I was thinking it was a PITA to do both so tried... and it worked.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Oh there are more changes coming, no doubt.
I'll... wait, I already somewhat miss older cars in some respects.
I hear you. I like a lot of the features of new vehicles. More than any I thought I would have in a vehicle I owned.
On the other hand, I actually enjoyed a lot of 4 speed GM automatics and a few manuals. Simple and got you there with respectable speed. The '95 Impala SS and '91 Firebird were a couple of "newer" favorites.
With those wide comfy seats in the Impala I could cruise all day. I only ever had it up to 105 or so a few times
[ It got a bit floaty then] down in Florida following some locals on I-75.
The Firebird was just plain fun to drive. I owned that for less than a year.
We had kids, wife got hit in an accident and we needed her car replaced. There went the Firebird. It was ok with me. I had enough cars in my life.
Anyway. I miss the older cars also. '67 Chevelle, modified Hurst Olds 442, even the '69 Caprice (Impala) 427 (390HP) my dad had and I got to drive it back from Texas after AF tech school. Those were a few.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sounds like a few cool cars. My favorites of mine were...
'69 Cougar XR7 auto, 351W 290HP, 385 FTLBS, added headers, exhaust, intake, carb
'04 Z06, 405 HP, added headers and a tune
'80 V8 Monza, 4 speed manual, dropped in a cammed 350 LT1, etc.
Nothing else too exciting. Honestly, I'd buy another '69 Cougar as a weekend toy if I had the loot.
Edit; and drivability... 3 series BMW's

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I thought was nice about the button shifter, was eliminating one step when shutting it off.
No need to put it in park, then push the power button, just the power button does both functions.
I was thinking it was a PITA to do both so tried... and it worked.
I accidentally found this. It is nice.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I accidentally found this. It is nice.
I was on my way to pick my car up. Stopped, put it (the 21 loaner) in park, turned it off and thought to myself... it has to go in park if I shut it off. Started it just to test it... cool

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had an experience with the "on the dash shifter" back in 1956. I was driving my girl friends, Mom's car with one of those shifters and accidentally shifted into reverse. Was in a parking lot and only going about 5 mph so no real problem but it did stop fast. I do not what design allowed that to,happen,but it was not good. Car was a new Chrysler and Mother was also in car.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
XT5 and Enclave (as well as others with similar shifters) will do the same

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
XT5 and Enclave (as well as others with similar shifters) will do the same
Yep, would assume so.
Georgec, those Chrysler shifters were ahead of their time in a way. A friend's parents had one, thought that was kinda cool. Trying to switch to R on a modern vehicle I'm sure would not do anything... plenty of controls to prevent issues.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear you. I like a lot of the features of new vehicles. More than any I thought I would have in a vehicle I owned.
On the other hand, I actually enjoyed a lot of 4 speed GM automatics and a few manuals. Simple and got you there with respectable speed. The '95 Impala SS and '91 Firebird were a couple of "newer" favorites.
With those wide comfy seats in the Impala I could cruise all day. I only ever had it up to 105 or so a few times
[ It got a bit floaty then] down in Florida following some locals on I-75.
The Firebird was just plain fun to drive. I owned that for less than a year.
We had kids, wife got hit in an accident and we needed her car replaced. There went the Firebird. It was ok with me. I had enough cars in my life.
Anyway. I miss the older cars also. '67 Chevelle, modified Hurst Olds 442, even the '69 Impala 427 (390HP) my dad had and I got to drive it back from Texas after AF tech school. Those were a few.
I had a 68 4 speed Chevelle SS. I added a tunnel ram and ladder bars.

the one I should have kept was a 72 GMC Sprint SP. it was their version of a SS. Big block and all. Only a couple hundred made. My first ride was a 63 Ford Galaxie it was clean. Only 70k miles in the 80’s.

I have had a lot of other interesting cars but the one I still miss was my HHR SS. I was not an HHR fan, FWD fan or Turbo fan but after driving one I was hooked. I added the GM Performance tune and got the boost up to 23 psi. I could set off the traction control at 55 mph. It would do 13’s in the quarter mile if you could get traction.

Inhad a guy in a Mustang run me and I kept right with him. He stopped and asked what I had in it. He had no idea they offered a turbo. It handled great. Made going stupid fast feel slow.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts