GMC Acadia Forum banner

UPDATED: Very, Very Disappointed - Acadia TOWED to Dealer - Trip #10

22K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  speleos 
#1 ·
I'm hoping to get some insight from fellow Acadia owners out there... We purchased our Acadia at the end of May 2007. Since I've owned this car, it's been one problem after another. Here is the list of problems so far:

Gas gauge stuck on empty (even when completely full) - they replaced some type of sensor

Seat tracks on both driver and passenger sides jerky - they ordered replacement seat tracks (some type of recall). When the parts came they were defective (bent) so they had to re-order. Then they were on some type of National backorder and it took 5 weeks to get them. This has just recently been resolved.

Transmission is jerky - when I'd put my car in reverse it would jump into gear! They performed some type of transmission update but to this day the car drives like it's got the handbrake on. It's really sluggish. The one I test drove did not drive like the one I got.

The check engine light is on - x 2. Said to service the stabilitrack and service the traction control. Don't really know which one since the message toggles between both. The car stopped in traffic and wouldn't move. When I turned the car off then re-started the error message went away. The dealer states this is "normal". (B.S.)

The lumbar support level fell off. This was replaced - they had to send my car to an upholstery shop to get this repaired?

My Acadia is now at the dear again. This time I have the same problems as before:

1. The gas gauge is again broken and the needle is stuck at E. They now claim I need not only (2) O2 sensors, but a sending module as well. It's been in the shop for 3 days now and is still not resolved.

2. The remote start does not work. They have adivse they cannot diagnose this problem until they resolve the gas gauge issue. UGGH

3. The "service stabilitrak" warning is on and off again.

4. The "check engine" light is on - may be related to the gas issue.

The service manager at the dealer gave the a number for "customer service" for GM to voice my dis-satifaction with this product. My husband provided each and every incident where we have taken this car to be serviced and been without a car. This time I was offered a rental (Enterprise gave me an Enclave) The service rep asked what we were requesting from GM. Hubby told them he wanted them to buy the car back so we can get another one. He asked if we were willing to buy another GM product which we are (this is the only GM we've had a problem with). He stated he would call us back tomorrow. We'll see how much customer service GM provides.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I'd be curious to hear if there are others with similar experiences.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Mia

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Very, Very Disappointed - Acadia in Shop for 8th time!

Oh no! I'd be hopping mad if that was me. I have had a few issues, none of which stranded me or caused me any major headaches.

For the "normal " comment about the toggling errocr message - it is somewhat normal for the light to go off after stopping/restarting, but the error codes would still be in the computer - they can pull it out. sounds like your dealer is not interested in helping you out.

On the remote start - that will not work when the 'check engine' light is on. it's a safety feature.

Good luck with your problems, I hope they all ger resolved quickly!

#4 ·

Mia, I hope they buy it back. It would be the right thing to do, and would make us all feel more comfortable in the customer service. I think it's fair to ask that you'd buy another GM product, but I hope they treat you right.

Let us know how they treat you guys, and good luck. Erik

#5 ·

there have been others that posted having their acadia's replaced by GM after numerous issues. i would do a search and chat with them to get a better sense of the steps they took to get a replacement.

Good luck!

#6 ·

Unfortunately, this is what give a car manufacturer a bad name. It looks like the dealer mechanics don't know how to fix your car or don't want to spend the time to "think" the problem through to properly diagnose and fix the cause. The reason is that many try to "whip the cars out" - do as many as possible because they're paid on commission. They'll throw parts at it too. So, you the customer land up getting a half-a$$ fixed car. I've had this happen to me many times with my other GM car. I finally landed up fixing it myself!

Anyway, for the transmission problem, the dealer should check the engine control module (I'm not sure if there is a separate transmission control module) and all wires to it and the transmission. I would have them check the ABS module and all ABS sensors, because these are probably used for stabilitrack. I would then look at all other sensors for the stabilitrack and verify that they are operating properly, wires are fine, etc.

Did your car get the transmission update? Check this. If so, the dealer may have flashed the computer incorrectly and ruined it. This can cause all sorts of problems.

For the gas gauge, they need to check the sender unit - and may have to take out the pump to do this.

Hope this helps, and hope your SUV gets fixed properly.

#7 ·

Mia: If your dealer provided the customer service number, then they are doing exactly what they should be doing. You need to open the dialogue with GM, not your dealer in order to replace your car. Sounds to me like they will be happy to back you up but first YOU needed to speak with customer service. Since you have voiced that you want to replace car, now they will contact the area service rep, he/she will contact dealer and they will hopefully resolve the issue. They will ask you to take an Acadia from dealer stock in your area first. I would advise you to order one off the line instead. It gives them even more time to have worked out any kinks. They will price your new one out and then you will pay for taxes only on any upgrades that may differ from your current one, tags and transfer fee will be paid by you as well. Then they will figure a usage fee for the mileage you have on your car. If it is low they will not charge you. Some lending institutions will let you swap title info and some want the payoff then start a new loan. If finance charges went up since your first car was purchased then that is bad, you might get lucky and they went down, or you might get the same rate, if they are willing to swap paperwork. Someone from GM buyback will contact you after they have decided to go that route and then you wait on car. If your Acadia is not driveable, then they will need to put you in a replacement car while you are waiting for your new one. I just did all of this, hope it helps answer any questions you might have had.

#8 ·

Thank you all for providing some replies to me. I just returned from picking up my Acadia. They replaced the following items:

Fuel level Sensors - 2 of them. They called them O2 sensors.
Fuel tank sending unit
Strut Bracket - no idea why they replaced this
They claim they could not duplicate the stabilitrac error message so they did not do anything.

Still waiting to hear back from GM but having them buy back this vehicle is the direction we are pursuing.

Thanks again,
Mia

#9 ·

The remote start won't work as long as the Check Engine light is on. I know - mine went to the shop yesterday for the 2nd time with a Check light on. My Check light is repeated problems with the evaporative emissions gear in the gas tank. First a cannister was replaced, now it needs a "valve" but the valve does not seem to be available in the parts supply system.

Guess I should feel lucky - I'm only on my 4th trip to the shop. ::)

The good news is that I had the latest transmission software update done and the shifting seems to be dramatically improved. Did mostly highway driving on the way home, but the difference was obvious. Hope it performs as well in stop & go driving.

#10 ·

Message to Vic49 - I'm curious as to what was wrong with your Acadia that you got resolution from GM... what was wrong with your car? How long did the process take?

I never recieved a phone call back from the person who contacted me as promised yesterday so I'm a bit miffed today about it. It's so bad to pay so much money for a car that seems to have issues every 3-4 weeks sending it back to the dealer!

PS - when I picked up my car yesterday, my service advisor tried to compare my troubles with a "flat screen" tv that he had bought and it broke within the first 90 days. He said it made him angry since he missed the "breeders cup"... and I should understand that it's the same thing... both things are electronic and things malfunction!

I was so shocked at his analogy I told him that there was no way he could really be serious - tryign to make the analogy that his flat screen TV breaking and missing a televised horse race was somehow in the same league as a $35K automobile "malfunctioning" at every turn... What an idiot...

#11 ·

Mia said:
Message to Vic49 - I'm curious as to what was wrong with your Acadia that you got resolution from GM... what was wrong with your car? How long did the process take?

I never recieved a phone call back from the person who contacted me as promised yesterday so I'm a bit miffed today about it. It's so bad to pay so much money for a car that seems to have issues every 3-4 weeks sending it back to the dealer!

PS - when I picked up my car yesterday, my service advisor tried to compare my troubles with a "flat screen" tv that he had bought and it broke within the first 90 days. He said it made him angry since he missed the "breeders cup"... and I should understand that it's the same thing... both things are electronic and things malfunction!

I was so shocked at his analogy I told him that there was no way he could really be serious - tryign to make the analogy that his flat screen TV breaking and missing a televised horse race was somehow in the same league as a $35K automobile "malfunctioning" at every turn... What an idiot...
Mia: check you personal messages

#13 ·

I have an SLT1 - 2007. White Diamond w/ black interior

I called customer service back and they told me there was no record of the case number I gave them. I was so furious! I then had to start all over again. The cust. rep I spoke to told me GM doesn't do the replacements - it's all handled through the dealer where I bought the car! The Service Manger where I bought the car told me the exact opposite. Sheesh! don't these people know what to do?

Today it's raining here in CA. And guess what? My sunroof leaks! Honest to god, I want to burn this car!

Vic49 - I replied to your message.

#14 ·

its the kind of situation i dread about ???, hopefully all these kinks will be resolve on the recent 08 models....

good luck on your Acadia!!!

#15 ·

I had a friend get a Blazer replaced and she had to go to the Better Business Bureau. They have some sort of Lemon Law replacement program or something. I believe they work with the car manufactures directly, it may help to use them since they have done this many times. I could try to get the info from my friend if you want.

#16 ·

Yes, thanks for the offer of the BBB number to contact regarding lemon law.

Not only did my sunroof leak this morning -- I left work early to avoid the Friday nite horrific traffic and my Acadia decided to stall on the Freeway, in the rain in the middle of the lanes! YES, believe it or not, my car was towed off the freeway by the metro freeway servcie, where I had to wait for AAA to come and tow my car to the dealer. I contacted the dealer from inside my car while waiting for the tow truck and was just furious that I was now stranded, in the rain, with this POS car I paid $38K for! I could not get the car to turn over once it stalled.

I am now in yet another rental, and they won't know what type of problem I'm looking at until Monday.

I HATE THIS CAR!

#17 ·

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like you got a bad one, unfortunately it happens every once in a while.

Based on previous experience, if you are going to attempt to lemon law the Acadia, and want to do it quickly, you might have to suck it up and get a lawyer. Yes, the law seems simple when you read it (i.e. a total of 30 days in the shop, or 3 times in the shop for the same issue), but the manufacturer will delay delay delay, until you basically get a court date.

Maybe GM is more reasonable, especially if you are organized and have all the proper documentation, and especially if you have infinite patience and refrain from going nuclear on them.

Good luck.

#18 ·
UPDATED - 12/3/07

This morning I called the GM customer service person who is handling my service request claim and updated her on the horrific issue from Friday of last week. Recap - Friday was raining here in CA. On the way to work, the sunroof started leaking which is pale in comparison to what happened on my way home, Friday afternoon, in rush hour traffic when my car started "sputtering", shifted suddenly forward like into another gear, then just finally DIED! The CHP had to stop traffic while a freeway service tow truck took my car off the freeway, then AAA towed my car to the dealer! The service manager met me in the bay, had 2 service techs taking the "codes" off the car -- they could not get the car started either.

Let's just say that my anxiety level is at an all time high, I hate what's happened and continues to happe with this car! I have a POS rental taht is much smaller than I'm used to, and I cannot help to think my kids and I could have been hurt on that freeway in that incident on Friday. This car has serious issues!! I am an avid GM owner - having owned 5 previous GM cars - all without any major issues at all. This POS leaves a very sour taste for our family. I hope they will take this car off our hands and that we can move forward with a different one. That's what I'm hoping for.

Any suggestions?

#20 ·
Oh that sucks big time!!! I would really push hard to get a replacement.

#21 ·
I just got off the phone with the Service Manager at the dealership. He tells me the reason why my car stalled and died on the highway is because the baffle inside the fuel tank was broken and even though my car read it had 1/2 a tank, it was empty!! I told him that was impossible - I had just put gasoline in my car the previous day and it would not be "EMPTY"! What is going on here?

Just last week, they replaced the sending unit and (2) O2 sensors for the problem my car was being serviced for (same problem as approximately 2 months ago) -- which is the gas gauge reading E when in fact I had just filled up my car. How can they not have known this was a problem last week, or even the first time they replaced the sending unit or the sensors????

The Manager states they have ordered an entire new gas tank, another sending unit, sensors and whatever esle makes up a gas tank. Who the hell knows if this will recify the problem this time. What's next?? Pretty soon, they will have re-built my entire car!

This really sucks.

#22 ·
I'm not sure how to go about it, but I would tell that dealership you don't want that thing back regardless of what they are saying they'll fix on it. Obviously it was NOT put through QA before leaving the factory. Those issues you are having with a brand new vehicle are, IMO, entirely UNACCEPTABLE. :angryfire:

#23 ·
Web Raven,

You have no idea how much I agree with that statement. GM better do the right thing here.. There's a conference call scheduled for this Wednesday between GM, the Service Manager at the dealer and the regional manager.

I'll post the update once the call has been completed.

#24 ·
Good luck to you. My mom had almost the same situation with her Audi. It is heartbreaking! Plus a pain the :moon: I really hope GM comes through for you.

#25 ·
Mia:
It ALL hinges on the regional manager. Try to get his contact info if possible. He will be the one GM will be in contact with throughout. During the conference call make it clear (no doubt here ;)) that you have had enough and want a replacement vehicle off the line. You will need something else to drive in the interim, so get that put on record as well. Hang in there, be firm but insistent, nice when possible and keep track of everyone's names and those case numbers they are so fond of.

#26 ·
Mia,

In the process of telling GM you want a replacement, make sure to tell them you have lost confidence in this vehicle and that you do not believe this vehicle is safe for you or your family. (Push the unsafe issue).

Good luck, I hope GM steps up here! :help:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.