• Factory HID

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POLL ADDED BY Moderator[/color]
The 09s have been showing up (I have been receiving follow ups from the various dealers I initially contacted back when deciding who to place my order with), and that is opening up options of taking allocation inventory from dealers or waiting for personal orders.

I now have a decision - a dealer allocation 09 that just arrived at a dealer within driving distance that is built out with everything I want http://without the HID headlamps (code TVD) or an estimated 2-3 weeks for arrival of the vehicle http://with the HID package, and everything else I wanted.

Pricing will be GMU (Supplier) as I have been told today that the Employee blow out deal is to clear out 2008s mostly and only a few 09 models (Vibe, Cobalt, HHR and G5) will be included so no luck for those of us jones'ing for the 09 model and all its enhancements. Also was told that financing for the 09s from GMAC will remain at 6.9% so better off with outside financing.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM 2009 OWNERS THAT HAVE THE HID HEADLAMPS OR WITHOUT ABOUT QUALITY, FEATURE, ETC.

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: HID vs standard headlamps - opinions wanted

All your questions about hid's can be answered by checking with XenonDepot.com (one of our sponsors) :blob:Scroll down on the main page near the bottom to find him! :thumb:

·
Registered
113 Posts

I have the HID's and love them. At night they're incredible. The only drawback I find is they don't have daytime flash to pass capability.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Check this post out about HID

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1241.20

Stats about HID
HID provides increased light in the total beam pattern (over double), increase down road intensity (over 20 feet) and what gets overlooked a lot is the increase spread that you will get (aprox 15-20 degrees each side). If you live in deer country they are very helpful seeing those little buggers on the side of the road.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I had HID lights in my 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SL. They were awesome.

Traded that in for our '08 Acadia (see below) and we have 'standard' halogen lights on the Acadia. They, too, are awesome. I have no problem at all with them.

The HIDs would have been a nice-to-have, but I certainly don't think they're a necessity. With projector-style bulbs on the Acadia, it really obviates the need ...

·
Registered
195 Posts

I have standards hals on my '09 and they are very good at night. I have a real hard time driving at night with my Accord and these headlights on the Acadia are exceptionally good.

I'm sure the HID are even better, but the standards are better at night than those of any other car I have been in with standard headlamps. IMO

·
Registered
46 Posts

I think it depends on where you live and where you do night driving. I have a Chrysler 300M with HID now and I LOVE them. I live out in the country though, and it is very dark at night and I drive on windy roads. I will definitely get them on my Acadia when I get it. If you live in an area where it isnt that dark at night, it probably isn't as critical.

·
Registered
250 Posts

i read from another forum that the standard halogen lights have better visibility at night when its raining or foggy. if this isn't true, i might have HID installed on my acadia

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

preytor said:
i read from another forum that the standard halogen lights have better visibility at night when its raining or foggy. if this isn't true, i might have HID installed on my acadia
I do notice that the whiter hue of the HIDs doesn't seem to perform as well as the yellower light of standard halogen bulbs when its raining, but that's what the fog lamps are for (especially if you install some better bulbs in them than the little flashlight bulbs that are standard). I remember seeing Mercedes use bright yellow lamps for fog lamps because of this. Considering the better light output of HIDs 99% of the time its not raining I'm happy we went with them on our Acadia and I also installed them in my Silverado. No regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Love our HID's Look great and work awsome. Less power consuption as well once started and at full power. Easier in theory on your battery and charging system. Take the plunge for the factory HID'S

·
Registered
912 Posts

We pulled the factory halogens before I even picked up the truck and put in an aftermarket set of HID lights the Acadia headlight assembly even has the space on the bottom of the housing to mount your ballasts. We used some double sided tape and a couple zip ties and all is good. I never did drive it in the dark with the halogens but the HID's are fenominal at night we just came back from the in laws and many of the roads are pitch black and the HID's give you a very wide field of view and a much brighter beam. As mentioned above the flash to pass ability is gone once you install the HID's though.

·
Registered
659 Posts

HIDs are a significant improvement, particularly for those of us whose eyes aren't quite what they used to be. I consider them one of the significant safety features of the vehicle. When I was considering vehicles in '07, I didn't even look at several competitors who didin't offer them (i.e Passport) because they were on my must have list.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Love the HID's :blob:. The only downfall is all the people flashing their lights at you.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

coloradoGM said:
Love the HID's :blob:. The only downfall is all the people flashing their lights at you.
:ditto: I can't ever imagine going back to whale oil lamps. ;D

·
Registered
110 Posts

HID's are a necessity. I will not every buy a vehicle without them again.
The dealer thought that I was crazy that I would not budge on that option.

·
Registered
487 Posts

blulytes said:
HID's are a necessity. I will not every buy a vehicle without them again.
The dealer thought that I was crazy that I would not budge on that option.
I love my HID's but necessity, I don't know about that. The engine is a necessity, the tires are a necessity. Even cup holders aren't a necessity.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I agree with everyone else; the HIDs are one of our favorite options on the Acadia.

When I drive any of our other vehicles with regular halogen lights, the difference is HUGE.

And I'm old enough to remember when halogens were the new cool lighting system and a big improvement over standard lights. Now those were whale oil lamps for sure!

All new cars purchased for the family fleet over the next several years will definitely have HIDs.

·
Registered
17 Posts

We have the HID option and they are great. The brightness and beam pattern are much better than the halogens. We like them. But, not necessarily worth missing out on a good deal. You can always change later to HID's. Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts

I love my HID's but necessity, I don't know about that. The engine is a necessity, the tires are a necessity. Even cup holders aren't a necessity.
[/quote]

:ditto: They are very nice, but I don't in any way feel that my halogen's on my other car are not completely sufficient for any situation I've faced in the 21+ yrs I've been driving with halogens.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

I am not saying you people are all wrong. But how many people that posted saying HIDs are better then Halogens, ever had the regular Acadia factory Halogens, and then switched to HID's?

Only 1 person mentioned switching to HID's and that was DSNY, and he didn't use the Halogens so he wasn't able to see how they did. But in all honesty, how many people actually saw the Halogens on the Acadia at night?
The Factory halogens are very bright, and have a very wide field of lighting. As someone mentioned the projector style light really bumps them up. Don't knock the Acadia Halogens till you tried them. If your looking to cut $ or the HID option is not on the Acadia you want. Then I don't think it is that big of a deal, the Halogens are much better then most other Halogens I have had, even when I swapped them out with Sylvania Silverstars (those are nice lights).

Geo, what kind of lights did you get to replace the Fog Lights?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts