GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not an Acadia owner yet, but will be in the next few weeks....My wife is expecting our 4th child, so while the Envoy XL has seating capacity, the practicality of a child seat and a baby carrier in the middle row make access to the 3rd row rather difficult. So, we will be buying an Acadia soon. We are going to the dealer to look at a used 2007 SLT this weekend, if it is still there.

Here is my question: The used SLT is $28K, a NEW SLE is around $30... Price is not the the big issue, we can afford either one. We rarely use all of the fancy gizmo's that are available, so SLT vs SLE trim is not a big deal. I guess I am a little nervous about buying a first-year run of any vehicle. Are the 2008's THAT much better/more refined? I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Re: 2007 vs 2008

I don't think the 08's are probably any better, but may have a few less bugs than the 07. I have an 07 and I have not had any of the problems that some have posted here other than the tranny recalibration issue. I will say that the SLE's seem to have fewer problems than the SLT's and this is because of the option content. The most common problems have been water leaks and dead batteries, but few SLE's have experienced this while SLT's have had the bulk of these two problems. Most SLE's don't have sunroofs (the cause of many water leaks ) and most SLE's don't have heated wiper fluid which was one of the causes of dead batteries. In the case of what you're considering, I would go with the 08 SLE if the SLT options are not important to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I bought a 2007 SLT-2 sticker price $41,500 with 4800 miles and I bought it for
$29,900. Myself and my wife love it. Can't get a demo nowhere near that price
"with more miles". I will never buy new, (as long as there is a factory warranty on
it). I bought mine off ebay and don't regret it. The "fancy gizmo's" are nice , the navigation system, dual sunroofs and dvd, is really nice, but I wouldn't pay for
all that at a new car price and would go with lesser options, if I really wanted a new
one.

·
Registered
111 Posts

blane64 said:
I am not an Acadia owner yet, but will be in the next few weeks....My wife is expecting our 4th child, so while the Envoy XL has seating capacity, the practicality of a child seat and a baby carrier in the middle row make access to the 3rd row rather difficult. So, we will be buying an Acadia soon. We are going to the dealer to look at a used 2007 SLT this weekend, if it is still there.

Here is my question: The used SLT is $28K, a NEW SLE is around $30... Price is not the the big issue, we can afford either one. We rarely use all of the fancy gizmo's that are available, so SLT vs SLE trim is not a big deal. I guess I am a little nervous about buying a first-year run of any vehicle. Are the 2008's THAT much better/more refined? I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
339 Posts

big bear craig said:
...and the SLE's don't have heated wiper fluid which was one of the causes of dead batteries....
My SLE does have the heated wiper fluid option in it.

I personally chose to hold off on buying an 07 and waited for the 08s to start coming out in the hope that the factory would have a bit more time to work out some potential kinks in their manufacturing processes. As others have said, if the "toys" aren't a big deal to you, then I personally would go for the 08 SLE. I think one of the biggest things that is different between the SLE and the SLT is leather. Some people can't live without it. Leather personally isn't a big deal for me and thus I ended up with an SLE.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I have the 07 SLT and have not experienced any problems that have been brought up in this forum. I would just compare the two and see which is a better fit for your family.

·
Registered
154 Posts

In TrueDelta's Vehicle Reliability Survey, owners of the 2008s have been reporting only half as many problems as owners of the 2007s.

I've also had a few owners report unfixable water leaks, which result in buybacks. My understanding is that the source of the leaks is unclear, so the sunroof might not be it. The analysis only includes successful repairs, so these leaks did not affect it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the friendly advice. I sure appreciate it. I guess I will go down this weekend and look at both new and used and just go from there. And by the way, nice forum. Lots of useful info here!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know y'all are just dying to know....but we ended up going with the used 2007 SLT-1. My wife REALLY wanted the Dark Blue Metallic with Ebony interior, which it turns out, seems to be hard combo to find. So, when we found one in Odessa, Tx, approx 300 miles away, it was road-trip time. It was a rental car previously, and has about 15K miles. I drove our trade-in, a 2003 Envoy XL out, and drove the Acadia back. It was a long day (12hrs on the road, 2 at the dealer) but worth it. It is very comfortable on a long trip, much more so than the Envoy. Those Envoy seats always killed our backs after even a short time on the road. Interestingly, the lumbar support handle is broken on this vehicle, but I see from reading the boards here, it seems to be a common problem. No biggie.

A couple of simple questions since I don't have a manual (it is on order):
1. Does the back glass open? You know, on the rear liftgate? It did on the Envoy, but I can't seem to see that this one does. It would be somewhat high to lift items over and into the back. It is just nice to be able to open the glass because sometimes things shift and fall when the liftgate if opened. I saw a guy who had a full propane tank fall out the the back of his SUV, and land right on his big toe, while he was wearing flip-flops....had a hard time putting that one back together...

2. How to program the Homelink buttons. I searched the board here and didn't see anything.

3. Is there any way to find out if the tranny flash has been done?

4. Any way to plug in the VIN number and get a copy of the window sticker of what options, etc, it had when new?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Welcome to the club. I just got mine 2 weeks ago, and I love it.

the rear window does not go down. It would be nice, but it doesn't. As far as the other questions, I don't own a garage lol. and I don't knw how to get a window sticker.

·
Registered
275 Posts
SLEs:

- Cannot order a sunroof at all (option restricted to SLTs)

- Cold Weather package includes heated wiper fluid

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
blane64 said:
3. Is there any way to find out if the tranny flash has been done?

4. Any way to plug in the VIN number and get a copy of the window sticker of what options, etc, it had when new?

Thanks
If you let me know the last 8 numbers of your VIN, I can tell you if the Trans. update has been performed as well as pulling up the build sheet for the vehicle. You need access to GMVIS to do it unfortunately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I will send it via PM, so I don't clutter up the board. Thanks for looking at this for me. Gee, ain't the Internet great?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
The lumbar lever is a common problem. My understanding is that it has been redesigned to include a metal reinforcement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts