GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By internally, I mean has anyone investigated the wiring or software that locks the nav and XM when the vehicle is in motion? It seems to me that there should be an interlock somewhere that could be bypassed (like the device that bypasses the 1-4 shift in the Corvette). I think I'd prefer that to adding an aftermarket component. It should reduce the complexity of operation as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfencl said:
On the first page of the referenced thread Texas 123 asks the same question with a potential solution, but no one responded. I suspected there was some sort of interlock, whether it was a seat pressure switch, or something that read gear selector position, or something else. I'm just asking the question again with four months more experience by the collective members of the group. If nobody comes up with this sort of fix, I'll order one of the two aftermarket products.

BTW, our dealer told us today ours will be built the first week of September.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not 100% positive, but I believe in GM navigation radios manufactured since last fall they are actually using the GPS signal to determine vehicle motion. Again, not 100% on this, but that seems to be the case. The unlock modules available for the newest vehicles only get around it by disabling GPS tracking to unlock features - they have to be relocked to start tracking again.

Now, it is possible that for some reason GM just decided in their software to stop tracking updates if some signal (from TPS, shifter, speedo, whatever) indicated that the vehicle was not moving, but that seems like an odd out-of-the-way thing for the programmers to do if the GPS tracking weren't more intimately tied to the lock. Why bother to disable tracking when you presume the vehicle is stationary anyway? My hunch is that the integration of the two is much more complex... which is why auto-unlock seems to be near impossible on vehicles produced in the last year.

Now, as for non-Nav units, I really have no idea how they work. The cars still contain the OnStar GPS, but AFAIK that doesn't send a signal to the nav radios either, so not sure why it would to non-nav units.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts