GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

New to the forum. I have a '08 loaded Acadia waiting for me. As I'm going from a Windstar to the Acadia I really felt I needed the "Ultrasonic rear parking assist" option. I test drove the car they ordered for me, but I was not getting the increased "beeping" as I backed up toward another car in the dealer lot. Has anyone else encountered this problem. The dealer said it's working fine, but it doesn't seem right to me. I feel the beeping should increase and the red lights also, but didn't find this. Can anyone please relate their own experiences.

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
I back into my garage and honestly the beeps/lights work just as designed so far with 5800 miles on the car. I get a few slow beeps as I back down the driveway, presumably from the house and a bush on the neighbors side. As I line up in the garage and proceed back I get to a certain point where the lights and beeps go nuts and beep quickly and that is when I park. Works the exact same every day.

Now one thing that may be the cause of your experience that I have yet to test, is if something is lower than the sensors, does it still pick it up. In other words what if a small object was laying on the ground, would the sensor recognize it? I think it would be interesting to hear from others on here if anyone knows what the focal area of the sensor is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
imgntht said:
I back into my garage and honestly the beeps/lights work just as designed so far with 5800 miles on the car. I get a few slow beeps as I back down the driveway, presumably from the house and a bush on the neighbors side. As I line up in the garage and proceed back I get to a certain point where the lights and beeps go nuts and beep quickly and that is when I park. Works the exact same every day.

Now one thing that may be the cause of your experience that I have yet to test, is if something is lower than the sensors, does it still pick it up. In other words what if a small object was laying on the ground, would the sensor recognize it? I think it would be interesting to hear from others on here if anyone knows what the focal area of the sensor is?
I don't know the focal area but my sensor picks up the curb across the street as I'm backing out of my driveway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
singinmama said:
I test drove the car they ordered for me, but I was not getting the increased "beeping" as I backed up toward another car in the dealer lot. Has anyone else encountered this problem. The dealer said it's working fine, but it doesn't seem right to me. I feel the beeping should increase and the red lights also, but didn't find this. Can anyone please relate their own experiences.
I had to drive a rental winstar earlier this year, and it seemed to me that the winstar system starts beeping a lot
earlier than the acadia (too soon IMHO). I found the winstar system more irritating than helpful, but that might
just be me. IIRC, it won't start beeping until you are about a foot away, which I think is different than the way
the winstar works. A couple things to check if the system doesn't seem to be working, make sure the sensors
on the back bumper are clear and check the DIC to make sure park assist isn't off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I use the parking assist all the time. It beeps once at about 10-12 ft and the first yellow light comes on, then it will beep one more time at about 4-6 ft and the 2nd yellow light comes on, then again at about 2ft away it beeps the 3rd time and the red light comes on, and finally at about 1 ft away, it will flash all the lights and beep continuously. I find it perfect. The operation is described in the manual.

I tested it with the kid's bike laying on the driveway, and it detected that. When I back into my garage, it detects the lawn mower handles. It seems to work well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I would also concur it works perfectly. It even beeps for moving objects like a car passing behind as you sit waiting to back out of a parking spot.

My mom's Windstar beeps on the road at the end of my driveway but the Acadia does not. I think because it is much higher. It is much better "tuned" and seems to never have any spurious beeps like the Windstar does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
GAR said:
I use the parking assist all the time. It beeps once at about 10-12 ft and the first yellow light comes on, then it will beep one more time at about 4-6 ft and the 2nd yellow light comes on, then again at about 2ft away it beeps the 3rd time and the red light comes on, and finally at about 1 ft away, it will flash all the lights and beep continuously. I find it perfect. The operation is described in the manual.
I agree with this. Mine does not beep backing out of our driveway at all. I park in a parking garage and back in because it's actually easier with the parking assist (and the backup camera helps but not as much as the parking assist).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I placed a Bully step bar into my receiver hitch for the Acadia because my wife cannot get into the back of it and I didn't want the back bumper to get scratched. The nice thing about it is that the rear parking assist does not pick it up and you can see it in the camera. I use it as a benchmark for how close I am actually getting to an object. I can get very close and I usually make it line up with the curb and I park perfectly every time. I love the camera option since I usually do back up to park.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
The Acadia's system isn't designed to beep faster as you approach an object, like the windstar's is. It does beep to warn you as you reach the limits set in the system and it will beep continuously when you are real close.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top