GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a year of reading this forum and researching the Acadia, I finally placed one on order this week, hoping to get it in about 6 weeks.

Now I see the UAW and GM have not reached a contract settlement and there is talk of a strike against GM.

For anyone in the know, what are the chances of a strike, when would it happen, and would my Acadia order be delayed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not an expert, and I have no insight into what has been discussed so far, but in my opinion it is very unlikely that they would decide to strike at this point. It is very common for the talks to run over. They simply extend the contracts for a period of time. As long as both sides feel like they are making progress, they can agree to continue extending the existing contracts as long as they want. The other thing is that there is way to much at stake right now in Detroit for the UAW to risk a strike that quickly. Remember - they are currently negotiating agreements with all 3 of the big 3 auto makers in Detroit, so deciding to strike is a big deal. Give it a little bit of time and I am guessing they will come to some form of agreement.

Chances are that your car will be built without any issues. Your biggest risk right now is delays because of the huge demand for these vehicles.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Heard on the radio this morning that Ford and Chrysler's agreements have been temporarily extended and GM is the only one still negotiating.  The way the radio news portrayed it, this effectively puts GM in the driver's seat as negotiator for all 3, since Ford and Chrysler will ultimately have to agree to same/similar deals that GM and UAW come up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any of you who have an Acadia on order or are planning to order one should watch this issue closely. The labor contract between the UAW and GM expired Sept 14. They are in negotiations, but a strike COULD occur at any time. If that happens your vehicle will be delayed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
loach said:
Heard on the radio this morning that Ford and Chrysler's agreements have been temporarily extended and GM is the only one still negotiating. The way the radio news portrayed it, this effectively puts GM in the driver's seat as negotiator for all 3, since Ford and Chrysler will ultimately have to agree to same/similar deals that GM and UAW come up with.
That is pretty typical. It is called pattern bargaining. They will pick one of the big 3 to negotiate with and then tell the other two that is the deal that they will agree to with them as well. They have done that with the last few contracts.

As far as a strike, I still seriously doubt they are going to strike. There is way too much at stake right now. With Michigan's economy, neither the Big 3 or the UAW can afford to strike right now. This is simply the UAW posturing. The bottom line is that with everything that is at stake, both sides want to take their time to make the right decisions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hopefully NO Strike will happen. This is our Build week for our rig per our salesman. :help:

I hope all the people working on the line are happy. My wife and I have been waiting almost 8 weeks to get to this point. I'm sure the last thing that most of them want to do is walk out considering the economic conditions in the auto industry. The fact they are still working it is a very good sign. :thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Acropolis said:
As far as a strike, I still seriously doubt they are going to strike. There is way too much at stake right now. With Michigan's economy, neither the Big 3 or the UAW can afford to strike right now. This is simply the UAW posturing. The bottom line is that with everything that is at stake, both sides want to take their time to make the right decisions.
I wouldn't bet against the strike so quickly. I saw a couple analysts agree that with the current inventories a short shutdown might really benefit GM right now. The union leadership is always happy to oblige that. Unfortunately the workers who would incur the most negative impact have the least amount of say at this point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are still talking. 2 full day into our build week of 9/17. :thumb:

I'm a union guy, put right now all I care is to hear is our my New SLT2 Rig is on a train headed to Salt Lake and then a truck to Nampa Id. :beer:

·
Registered
99 Posts
BigDawg said:

I'm a union guy, put right now all I care is to hear is our my New SLT2 Rig is on a train headed to Salt Lake and then a truck to Nampa Id. :beer:
I am right there with you! :thumb: Our build week is this week also. I've been watching closely. I keep checking the Lansing State Journal on line for any updated news. Keeping my fringers crossed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
scrapaddict said:
BigDawg said:

I am right there with you! :thumb: Our build week is this week also. I've been watching closely. I keep checking the Lansing State Journal on line for any updated news. Keeping my fringers crossed.
Was this the story you were reading up on in the Lansing State Journal?
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/NEWS01/70918018

·
Registered
99 Posts
fenwah said:
scrapaddict said:
BigDawg said:

Was this the story you were reading up on in the Lansing State Journal?
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/NEWS01/70918018
Not that story. There hasn't been any news today on the LSJ but there was yesterday. They were to resume talks again today. Spoke with my dealer this afternoon and so far no strike, they are still talking.

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Day 3 of our build week. Maybe I can send them a box of Donuts to help them keep happy and twisting the wrench. :)

Thanks for the news site...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well we have made it through build week without a strike, so far anyway. I wonder when I'll know if my vehicle was actually built this week. Now, we have to hope they ship before the union possibly strikes otherwise I'm sure that would hold them up from shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
talked to my dealer and not to be a deliverer of posssible more bad news, but he said if GM goes on strike, the union truck drivers will honor their strike by not delivering vehicles to the dealers. So even if it is built, you may not see your vehicle until the strike is over.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stressed Out said:
talked to my dealer and not to be a deliverer of posssible more bad news, but he said if GM goes on strike, the union truck drivers will honor their strike by not delivering vehicles to the dealers. So even if it is built, you may not see your vehicle until the strike is over.
I pretty much figured that. Unions tend to support each other. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they don't strike. I won't feel relieved until the vehicle makes it to the dealer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here comes a strike...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070924/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_talks

I'm very lucky to have my Acadia show up at the dealership late last week. I can't imagine what a strike will do to the backlog of custom orders for the Acadia and Enclave. GM has to stand it's ground if it wants to stay competitive with their foreign competitors...so I'm hoping the UAW caves into their requests. Not to mention that I've been a GM stockholder at a price of $20.05/share.

Hope it all works out...but that 11AM deadline is less than four hours a day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
fenwah said:
Here comes a strike...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070924/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_talks

I'm very lucky to have my Acadia show up at the dealership late last week. I can't imagine what a strike will do to the backlog of custom orders for the Acadia and Enclave. GM has to stand it's ground if it wants to stay competitive with their foreign competitors...so I'm hoping the UAW caves into their requests. Not to mention that I've been a GM stockholder at a price of $20.05/share.

Hope it all works out...but that 11AM deadline is less than four hours a day.
No negative waves! :eek:hno: My build week was last week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts