GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Acadia with dual DVD monitors in the headrest (factory ordered and likely dealer installed). There is reference to a TV source - is there anyway to add an antena to the system to gain access to tv signals?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I was wondering that very same thing for my 09' OUTLOOK, are yours touch-screen and have games installed on them?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the 2009 Acadia with the factory overhead DVD unit and have the aux jacks in the console. I was thinking about trying one of those new digital converters for your old TV's with a small power antenna somewhere in the vehicle. Just a thought,but I think possible. Anyone else try this?

Bobby

·
Registered
427 Posts
DeForger said:
I have the 2009 Acadia with the factory overhead DVD unit and have the aux jacks in the console. I was thinking about trying one of those new digital converters for your old TV's with a small power antenna somewhere in the vehicle. Just a thought,but I think possible. Anyone else try this?

Bobby
LOL - I tried that exact thing recently!!

I bought an Artec T3AP converter.

Then, I picked up a Radio Shack 12v "universal" power cord. (use the "M" style plug)

and a cheap VHF/UHF antenna.

The converter box + power plug worked great! I live about 30 miles outside of NY City, and so my cheap antenna didn't do such a great job picking up signals. I'm sure that if I used a powered antenna - or just a plain better one - it'd be fine.

One of those "because I can..." sort of projects!

·
Registered
540 Posts
DeForger said:

Bobby
I finally picked up a HD converter box ( Insignia NS-DXA1-APT)from Best Buy. I connected it to the Aux jack and power converter and used a old antenna that came with an old portable TV. I am in NYC so I have a good signal and it worked great! I am going to look for a smaller antenna. I also have to test it a the Acadia is driven around. Parked it was great.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd be interested in the mobile results. I had proposed something similar on another forum and a Guru there shot down the idea due to digital signals not being easy to receive while in motion.

Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I'd be interested in the mobile results. I had proposed something similar on another forum and a Guru there shot down the idea due to digital signals not being easy to receive while in motion.

Let us know how it works.
Blue,
Your Guru may be correct. I have to try another antenna but as of now my road test using the old rabbit ear antenna was a failure. I kept losing the signal/picture. Weak signals definately don't work when mobile. Good signals fade in and out with the terrain. When I try another antenna I will let you know what happens.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
Blue,
Your Guru may be correct. I have to try another antenna but as of now my road test using the old rabbit ear antenna was a failure. I kept losing the signal/picture. Weak signals definately don't work when mobile. Good signals fade in and out with the terrain. When I try another antenna I will let you know what happens.

Bobby
I'm thinking it has something to do with the frequency of the signal

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks for the links Tim. You need a custom title of Electronics Guru here. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure what type of connections the factory system has in the truck, but what about looking at a Marine TV antenna. Sinice the marine industry is what I work in, I know there are afew companys that now sell a HD/Anolog antenna with a gain box. They use a standard coax cable end connection.

Glomex # v9112e (14" antenna)
Glomex # v9125/98 (10" antenna)

Shakespeare seawatch
I'm unsure of what there antenna connections and products are as I have not needed to sell one, but they do make one.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts