GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to make the turn signal clicking any quieter or is it just one of those things we'll have to get use to? The car we traded in (Acura TL) had a much quieter turn signal.

Btw, we're taking delivery of the Acadia tonight. Are there any things we need to keep an eye out for before we sign on the dotted line? Thanks.

'08 SLT2 WDT AWD (basically loaded)

·
Registered
275 Posts
... seriously?

Go sit in a used 2004 GM-anything. Then you'll realize that the turn signal in the Acadia is actually quite quiet. I actually have trouble hearing it while driving on rough snow.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've never heard a turn signal I considered too loud. I like being able to hear it. It probably helps keep me from becoming one more numbskull who drives straight for 11 miles with the turn signal flashing. :angel:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Turn up the radio volume ;D Seriously, I do not know of any way to quiet the turn signal - maybe you can ask the service department at the dealer you are buying from. I pretty sure that the signals use the radio speakers to emit there sounds, there must be a wire that connects to them for that purpose, maybe these can get disconnected (if you can figure out where they are at).

Good luck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Earplugs? ;D

Open the window? ;D

·
Registered
403 Posts
qui·et·en /ˈkwaɪɪtn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kwahy-i-tn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Chiefly British
–verb (used without object) 1. to become quiet (often fol. by down).
–verb (used with object) 2. to make quiet.

Dictionary.com, I could not believe it myself...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, this is going to be one of "those" forums...

·
Registered
30 Posts
johnway said:
the signals use the radio speakers to emit there sounds
??? You can't be serious. Is it not just a relay that emits the sound?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Most of the newer vehicles don't have flasher relays anymore. The blinking is controlled by the 'body control module' (BCM). The BCM also controls all the functions not controlled by the 'engine control module' (ECM). As far as I know, there is no way to control the loudness of the flasher/blinker function. Your 'flasher' will most likely never fail, however, if it does, it would require the replacement of the BCM which can be quite expensive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cravenfan said:
qui·et·en /ˈkwaɪɪtn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kwahy-i-tn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Chiefly British

I wonder if this is one of those added definitions that the dictionary companies put in after a word becomes common in popular culture.

There's no way quieten was a word when I learned the English language as a child.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stiffi said:
Cravenfan said:

I wonder if this is one of those added definitions that the dictionary companies put in after a word becomes common in popular culture.

There's no way quieten was a word when I learned the English language as a child.
Let me help you with your OCD on this (as much as I can and feel like doing) and briefly indulge you in your highjacking of my thread...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
qui·et·en [kwahy-i-tn] Chiefly British
–verb (used without object)
1. to become quiet (often followed by down).
–verb (used with object)
2. to make quiet.

[Origin: 1820–30; quiet1 + -en1]

—Related forms
qui·et·en·er, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Now, assuming that you're over this, do you have any useful input on my original question? Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not Really.

Honestly, I don't hear the turning signal 90 % of the time. I have to look down to make sure it's engaged when I flip the wand. I don't see how it could be quietened ;D anymore.

·
Registered
681 Posts
f3qu3t said:
johnway said:
the signals use the radio speakers to emit there sounds
??? You can't be serious. Is it not just a relay that emits the sound?
To f3qu3t:

I remember reading in a thread somewhere that someone looking to fix a humming noise in their radio and that thread said that the turn signal and warning bells are played through the speakers. Now I am not 100% sure.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=713.msg9791#msg9791

To uncczta - I think everyone is just having some fun on a slow day - also I do not think anyone really knows an answer to your question - the only people who might would be the GM engineers and Mr. Goodwrench mechanics that might be lurking around, but I am sure they will not offer any advise as I am sure GM lawyers would not recommend turning these off or lowering the volume for legal reasons ( I am pretty sure it would also effect the seat belt warning etc...). Anyway we are all just trying to have some fun. Maybe you have bionic ears and your need to have them retuned. ;D :angel:

Happy Holidays. :cheers:

·
Registered
264 Posts
By the way if you do leave it on and drive for about a half mile it will give a warning sound to alert even the most forgetful person. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes, but you have to be over 70 for this to occur. ;D

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I wish I could hear mine! Anyway to turn it up? :help:

·
Registered
275 Posts
uncczta said:
So, this is going to be one of "those" forums...
Would you like to move your lug nuts closer together as well?

C'mon, what kind of response did you expect from a question like that? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
251 Posts
To be fair to uncctza, here's a direct answer to his original question. You're just going to have to get used to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts